Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Topic: Don't Use Mobile Fones While In Petrol Stations

JappyBeast

Has anyone here heard of anyone who has died from an explosion from using their mobile phones while filling up their cars?

Seen a few programmes on this topic, it was on Brainiac where they soaked a caravan with petrol and placed loads of mobile phones in it and dialed them up... nothing happened!

So why on earth does every fuel station have a 'no mobile phones' signs up?

Its an Urban Myth surely?

Has anyone here heard of anyone who has died from an explosion from using their mobile phones while filling up their cars?

Seen a few programmes on this topic, it was on Brainiac where they soaked a caravan with petrol and placed loads of mobile phones in it and dialed them up... nothing happened!

So why on earth does every fuel station have a 'no mobile phones' signs up?

Its an Urban Myth surely?

Myth Busters did this one a while back on SKY.... set up a fake petrol pump (or gas pump in there words) and tested the theory.....

Think it lies with no one can prove they will cause an explosion or may not....Just dont want to be the one to prove them wrong....

It's the case of being over cautious....

Now seeing someone smoking in the car with the window's open, whilst someone else fills the car up, is another story :blowup: Seen this a few times.......I wait for them to move off.....

I remember when I was a fireman that we were told not to use our radios in a gas laden environment. This was the rule not because it might cause an explosion but because the radios, phones etc are not rated as 'Intrinsically safe' which means they are not tested for such an environment.

It really is a matter of health and safety and potential legal claims :huh:

I always have both phone on when at the petrol station and when flying on a plane, nothing happened yet

Brainiac did come to the conclusion that it's far more dangerous to wear a Shell suit while at a petrol station...........don't see them being warned against though !

lol i cant see the point either. i have stood next to a 757 while its been refuelled while on a mobile phone and using a radio at work. there arnt any rules against that there

This report is from 2003... fones were bricks back then!

That is their latest statement on the subject.................I agree the phones are possibly even safer nowdays

does it really matter?

Us dirty smokers aren't allowed to smoke in your pubs, workplaces, bus shelters etc. You aren't allowed to use your mobiles on other peoples petrol stations....

:D

does it really matter?

Us dirty smokers aren't allowed to smoke in your pubs, workplaces, bus shelters etc. You aren't allowed to use your mobiles on other peoples petrol stations....

:D

LOL!!!!

Thing is, I'm worried that I get a txt message when I'm putting £5 of fuel in my MR2!

Not if you are toothed up or what if you have Nokia/TomTom Sat Nav installed?

My fone is never off!

Personally, I like to be unreachable when I'm in my mota, it's 'my space'.

I don't understand why people need to be connected 24/7 thats nuts!

Work commitments and the fact that I need to know if any parties/nights out are kicking off with my mates.

Its a myth, every smart person I know agree's - its more to do with losing your concentration while using the pump / driving in and out.

i was paying for petrol when my mobile went off, was by boss with one of those sh*t has hit the fan type calls so i dashed towards the door when the staff at the station screamed so loudly at me i jumped out of my skin dropped phone and the whole forecourt was staring at me, it was so embarresing, all that was missing was wearing Shell suit lol

Brainiac did come to the conclusion that it's far more dangerous to wear a shell suit while at a petrol station...........don't see them being warned against though !

Damn, just as I thought they were coming back into "fashion" again!

Work commitments and the fact that I need to know if any parties/nights out are kicking off with my mates.

Yeah but you hardly ever reply, you're textually inadequate.... :lol:

Good topic ;) although I find the spelling of "fone" highly irritating.

Its utter <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s, as is the use of phones in general wards in hospitals.

What is far more dangerous in the forecourt environment is cars driving through with old HT leads, straight through exhausts, worn brake pads etc etc

Phones should be switched when you're in the car anyway! ;)

my phone has my satnav on it plus a hands free cradle and speaker phone, lol so i should turn the phone off and loose my sat nav?

Thing is i've used my phone before and everything was ok, i didn't die or explode, but when i received a call while paying for petrol the woman said i wasn't allowed outside the shop if i was on my phone, so i pretended to hang up and went and sat in the car. I don't think there is a problem to be honest. the only place i turn my phone off is hospital but i see it on TV all the time that people use their phones, plus if i am in am not gunna pay their £6 a minute phones to make the same call

That reminds me, when I used to have an aquatics shop, and there was someone being loud and annoying on their mobile I'd ask them to turn it off as they "interfered wouth our filtering systems"...

No one ever quearied it... it was total <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s of course :D

Oh goshhh ... I was sat in the car at the pump in a petrol station a couple of years ago just txtin back to a message I'd received all I heard was a noise over the tannoy, I had no idea what was going on but everyone was looking towards my car and I wondered what the heck was happening! ... So I looked into where the noise (big loud voice) was coming from and kinda frowned when the person repeated the message again 'YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE MOBILE PHONES ON THE FORECOURT' ... woopsies ... kinda embarrassing but I got out of the car and carried on filling up with petrol after going a very nice colour of scarlet ... when I went into pay I said; oOoo sorry about that, I didnt realise I couldnt do that but why is it you cant use mobile phones out there, just outta interest? and I was told; it can interfere with the digital display on the pump ... nothing about blowing up stations and everyone in it :unsure:

And apparently the whole not using phones when in hospital because it can interfere with machinery is a load of rubbish aswell ... but I cant quote where I heard that from ...

That reminds me, when I used to have an aquatics shop, and there was someone being loud and annoying on their mobile I'd ask them to turn it off as they "interfered wouth our filtering systems"...

No one ever quearied it... it was total <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s of course :D

:lol: hahaaaaa, that sounds like the sort of thing I'd fall for! ... Della (second name gullible)

lol so i should turn the phone off and loose my sat nav?

Yes, yes you should !!!

There's far too much reliance in technology nowadays. you should take a leaf out of my book and simply know where you're going. In fact I'm somewhat surprised that no manufacturer has yet decided to name a SatNav model after me ! :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links