Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Topic: Don't Use Mobile Fones While In Petrol Stations

JappyBeast

My point exactly, how on earth did we all manage before???? Phones, sat.nav. lighting a fag and sonic boom sound systems are probably the main causes of most crashes!

Erm, I starting to sound like my grandad now so I'll shut the hell up! :D

It is said that the risk is so small as to be negligable, however, they also say that a lighted cigarette did not have sufficient heat to light petrol, but to be honest, would you want to try?

Most "Risk" associated with filling up at a petrol station comes from static electricity, you know the type, when you get out of the car and touch the door handle, zaaaap! (Several people a year are killed or seriously burnt in the motor trade caused by static/sparks in the workshop) There is a "Risk", but somebody would probably try and suit the a :censor: s off the petrol companies if the were blown up while trying to order their chicken vindaloo while filling up, if there wasnt a sign there to say not to!

Kingo :thumbsup:

What is far more dangerous in the forecourt environment is cars driving through with old HT leads, straight through exhausts, worn brake pads etc etc

or smoking! thats always a good one to nark people off :D

that noise is well weird Della! its the same with computers and it forces you to look around see where it was coming from

lol i cant see the point either. i have stood next to a 757 while its been refuelled while on a mobile phone and using a radio at work. there arnt any rules against that there

Avtur (kerosene) is not really the same as petrol though. Also, if you are observing the airside regulations correctly, (have you read them lately?) ANY equipment that you carry with you will be required to pass additional safety tests. This is usually a bit more than the ubiquitous P.A.T. (Portable Equipment Test).

In the public domain, ie. your average fuel station forecourt, there is no control on devices carried by customers and in particular the condition of those devices. As the man said... health & safety rules are king in this increasingly litigious society of ours.

hey captain weirdbeard, aint spoke in ages!

has anyone blown anyone up by using their mobile phone?

Hi Gaz,

Have been busy elsewhere...

In answer to your question - no-one has caused an explosion as a direct result of using a mobile 'phone other than when deliberately used to trigger an explosion, eg. in terrorist activities.

What has happened and continues to be a potential hazard where all modern Battery powered equipment is concerned is thermal runaway in the power cell where damage or defective manufacture causes a condition where the constituents of the cell react in an uncontrolled manner. Some laptop users have suffered with burns through this. I believe there have been cases of mobile 'phones going on meltdown too. Chemical burns are usually the result but reactions within the power cell can potentially generate a lot of heat and should be considered a fire hazard.

I wouldn't say that the mobile 'phone in your pocket is likely to do anything like that if you have looked after it well enough but I wouldn't consider it responsible to be filling my car with volatile fuel whilst handling such a device from the distraction point of view alone...

Multi-tasking is unwise whilst handling fuel children.

you can put a !Removed! out in petrol, ive done it! and it just goes out like it would in water

you can put a fag out in petrol, ive done it! and it just goes out like it would in water

mmmm not the wisest of actions :huh:

Are you the sort of person who drives across railway crossings when the lights are flashing or plays with fireworks by holding the explosive one in your hands :rolleyes:

Sorry but your post about putting a lit cigarette into petrol is just darn stupid :wacko:

Multi-tasking is unwise whilst handling fuel children.

Isn't burning children illegal yet? :P

If it isn't... handling them certainly is - even if they are only "fuel children". I've just re-read the post and I would hereby like to disassociate myself from it completely!

Instead, I would like to stub out this lit cigarette in that convenient puddle of petrol. I hear that that is a totally safe thing to do, as tested scientifically by one of our dear members.

Instead of DOH! I will instead be saying WOOF!

I thought I was too cool for this place so left, but realised I was wrong so crept back in & was hoping nobody had noticed I'd left

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I was too cool for this place so left, but realised I was wrong so crept back in & was hoping nobody had noticed I'd left

Nah... just busy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links