Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Warning Light And (!) Warning Light

M.T.Pilot

Hi,

I've got a toyota Starlet (1989) which allover sudden showed two warning lights from start-up on:

*(!)-warning light indicating a problem with the brakes, and:

*Battery/discharge warning light indicating a problem with (charging) the Battery

I had driven the car without any warning lights or problems just a couple of hours earlier. Then when starting the car it gave those two warning lights and they stayed on throughout the drive home.

Checked the brake-flued level, was okay. Cleaned the Battery connectors.

Then took out the big (three point) connector-plug at the dynamo, turned the ignition key on "ON" and both warning lights were NOT on anymore.

Any idea what conclusion can be drawn from this?

regards,

M.T.Pilot

In addition, I did a little test that is supposed to tell if the problem lies with the Battery or with the alternator: I started the car (without a problem) and unplugged the negative side of the Battery. Someone told me that when you do that and the car dies, then you know it is the alternator-side that is causing the problem, as normally, the alternator should keep the car running when you do that..

The Battery itself gives out a 12.63 Voltage when the car is not running, and a 12.23 Voltage when it is running (without lights on and such..).

Now, from what I read on other websites, it could either be the ALTERNATOR, the WIRING, or the VOLTAGE REGULATOR that is causing the problem, if it is not the battery.

I'm not sure how to go about finding out what is the exact cause. I took out the alternator, opened it up (to a certain degree), but did not see anything strange. Well..things are a bit rusty, to be honest..

Also, july 2007 I had already replaced the carbon contacts thingies in the dynamo (don't know the English word for it..), so that is not the problem either (they still looked good anyway..not to worn down and they were not stuck either).

However, I have no idea what a voltage regulator looks like and where I can find it in the starlet..

I want to check the wiring, but I'm not sure how to go about that either. I do have a voltage checker.

What I find strange is that it happened alloversudden.. I had been driving the car a couple of hours before, without any problems.. I then start it again, and the problem is there.. I though alternator dying signs are petering out, instead of a sudden die off..

Anyway, any or all help is appreciated!

regards,

M.T.Pilot

Okay, I was able to borrow another alternator, and found out that the alternator is causing the problems.. Anything one can do to repair an alternator? Or should I simply buy a new one? (I believe the voltage regulator is internal.. is there a way to check if the internal voltage regulator is the problem?)

regards,

M.T.Pilot

Hi mate,

there are plenty of places that can repair/refurb alternators at a fraction of the price of a new one. Apart from that, I'm not sure how much DIY you could do with one ( never had the chance myself )

Good luck

Rich

Cheers!

I bought a new voltage regulator, which didn't do the trick, even though the old one was part of the problem (I had it tested). Then I bought another part, which is also a diode, I believe.. I'm not sure how to describe it .. It is basically the part next to the internal voltage regulator (and not the carbon thingies-part).

However, I have not had a change to put the alternator in and test it. Will do so tomorrow. I hope that will do the trick, because if not, I will have to buy a whole new alternator after all, and will loose the money I already spend on the parts... (I live on a small tropical island... I'm not sure if there's someone who can revise old alternators..).

I'll update when I've been able to try out the alternator with the two new parts.

regards,

M.T.Pilot

As far as I know there's not much more to the alternator.

Rectifier diodes, regulator pack and the armature / brush assembly.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Rich

As far as I know there's not much more to the alternator.

Rectifier diodes, regulator pack and the armature / brush assembly.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Rich

UPDATE:

I have replaced all parts under the "hood" of the alternator that can be replaced (rectifier diodes, regulator pack and the carbon brushes), but to no avail...

I guess it must be the coiling part of the alternator...

I replaced the alternator with a second hand one. The car is working fine now..

Still curious as to what in the coiling-part of the alternator could have caused the problem...

Thanks for all your help and advice! Appreciated..

M.T.Pilot

the coil part is just a winding ( like in an electric motor ).

Corrosion, snapping or worn insulation causing a short circuit between the wires can all cause problems.

Glad you've got it running again mate !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links