Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Notchy Gearbox - Under Warranty

Notebook

05 4.2 petrol 32K

Purchased this about a month ago. It has had its 30k service.

Not sure how to phrase the question but compared to other cars I have owned, I think the gearbox appears notchy? if thats a word ;-)

Mind you - have driven an automatic for 7 years previously.

The car is still under warranty, so asking in case I require anything done before its up.

Thanks

Hi Notebook. I think I know what you mean. My better half has a 05 4.2 and when I first drove it I noticed how (searching for the right word, here) precise/positive the gearshift was - almost like it was moving through one of those "gates" you see on fast Italian sports cars. I took this as a plus point - the gear stick isn't floating around like an old mixing spoon in porridge, it's very precise and definite. Is this what you mean??

Clicky

Hi

I bought a 2004 4.2 XT4 from new and when I first drove it I could not believe how "notchy" the gear box felt compared to previous manual cars I had owned.

The "notchyness" (inventing words now!!) was worse first to second gear, as though the synchro's were not working.

At the time I did a bit of research, spoke with the dealer and received feedback from other owners. The conclusion was this is a "Design" feature of the gearbox and it has improved a bit with mileage, but I would still say its one of the worse gearboxes I have owned.

From what I have read the worst shift, 1st to 2nd gear is caused by the very low gear ratio, I am sure others on this site will give you a more technical answer. I have also noted that on the http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php site they have experimented with different oils that improve the gearbox. Some of the ideas regarding using automatic transmission oils in a manual gearbox were a bit too radical for me :-)

Hope this helps

Ian

I must be a bit of an oddball - I quite like the way the gearshift works! Mark you, I am old enough to remember stirring the gearstick in a Mk 2 Jag (Sweeney and Morse variety), in a desperate attempt to find first whilst stopped in traffic. I inadvertently selecting reverse - the clunk of the non-sychromesh gear didn't give the game away, because neither reverse nor first had sychro - then reversing at some speed when a gap in the traffic appeared :driving: . I don't know who was more surprised, me or the guy behind........ :o

I know there were problems with rav1 especially 2nd and 3rd which required new gears and synchros and a change of gear oil (Castrol Taf X)

Sometimes we replaced gear cables in rav2 and a gearbox oil change

Personally if out of warranty a gear oil change and remove the gear cover and lube the ends of the gear cables whilst working the gear stick

Same thing - I'd lubricate the gearchange mechanism. You can play around with oils - it was amazing the difference it made to changing to a different oil in the landrover gearbox - much quieter. The gearchange on it is still like a pudding stick mind!!

I have had my Rav 4.2 for three months and the first thing I noticed was the notchy yet positive gear selection and personally I quite like it as opposed to the norm conductors baton type selection.

I like yourself had an automatic for the last three years, even so I use the wife's manual ( goes something like "keep em guessing") :D

So in a nut Shell I do not think anything is wrong, it is just a well engineered linkage/ gearbox.

Cheers

John

At first i wasnt a fan of the new RAV gearchange but now i quite like it. It is very 'positive' as said above, a few we have had complaints of difficult gear engagement when cold but switching the fluid to ATF has sorted this.

Mart.

Personally switching a manual gearbox to ATF is a receipe for disaster, It will be smooth when cold as its no where near as thick but when it warms up !!!

If it was better with ATF Toyota would have used it, The synchros will not survive in hot ATF oil in manual gearbox

I agree with Shutty, Auto fluid is designed for high pressure and has many properties that would not be applicable for a running geartrain. though it may seem smoother, less friction the wear would be far greater on the gear mesh and syncro's in the long term.. :wacko:

Even amongst the various AQF's there is differing qualities for different auto boxes..

I would change back to a high quality recommended grade, will be a lot cheaper in the long term.

cheers

John

I agree with Shutty, Auto fluid is designed for high pressure and has many properties that would not be applicable for a running geartrain. though it may seem smoother, less friction the wear would be far greater on the gear mesh and syncro's in the long term.. :wacko:

Even amongst the various AQF's there is differing qualities for different auto boxes..

I would change back to a high quality recommended grade, will be a lot cheaper in the long term.

cheers

John

I did not realize that words tasted so good, :P cus it seems after Googling etc that ATF may be OK with a slightly higher wear rate but, even that is not proven with lots of conflicting ideas...so it seems that at least it may be an answer to stiff gear selection when cold etc.

That said I love a tight box ;) and will keep to the recommended oil with a proviso that if it does get sticky and AFT could cure it I may go down that road..

Cheers

John

Personally switching a manual gearbox to ATF is a receipe for disaster, It will be smooth when cold as its no where near as thick but when it warms up !!!

If it was better with ATF Toyota would have used it, The synchros will not survive in hot ATF oil in manual gearbox

Funny that....i wonder if TOYOTA knew that when they issued the bulletin i read at work on the TOYOTA dealer intranet??? ;)

Mart. :)

The only problem I have is with gear changing whilst my left leg cannae shove the clutch down far enough - main problem is the left leg is shorter than the right and depends on whether my spinal cord is causing left leg muscle cramp. An adjustable clutch pedal could be useful!!! Or traction on my leg?? :lol:

Notchiness tends to be amplified through the cables and is nothing to be worried about.

For info there are some manufacturers that recommend "ATF" type gear oils for manual transmissions. MB for instance is a major advocate of them and providing the right one is used they do not reduce the life of the transmission.

• 1 month later...

I have put Redline MT90 oil into the manual gearbox. Made it really smooth shifting!

I have put Redline MT90 oil into the manual gearbox. Made it really smooth shifting!

Well done !

We'll see you in Warrington then on Saturday?

Cant you just take the Rav back to Mr T say you think the box has a problem and let them have alook as it is still under warranty

I read the spec on that Redline MT90 and it makes a lot of sense regarding the viscosity v syncros

My gearbox was revised at 10.000km and still it didnt feel smooth. Finally the Redline oil did.

The supplier told me it is also used in gearbox of MR2.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links