Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost Igniton Keys

estima94

Ello

Just bought a 2001 prius with 60k on the clock but the dealer only has one key for it, local Toyoya dealer has quoted £200 for new key and programming saw some info on E-bay looks straight forward anyone tried it

Cheers BD

:rolleyes: Hi,

Is your car a second generation prius? with push start? if so the only way I know to code a key is with the dealer tester, not sure what is being offered on eBay but I dont see it being strightforward, the key imobilizer and alarm are coded in as one to the best of my memory,could check up on this. If you could obtain a blank key I think you would still need to get it coded at a dealer but you have to make sure it is blank and does not hold any previouse codes in it memory as they can only be rewritten if the car key code ecu and the engine ecu reccognise it belonging to your car,which it would not be the case,hope this makes sense.

Hedley.

Ello

Just bought a 2001 prius with 60k on the clock but the dealer only has one key for it, local Toyoya dealer has quoted £200 for new key and programming saw some info on E-bay looks straight forward anyone tried it

Cheers BD

If your car is a japanese import then you will be pleased to find that there is no code in your key as there is no imobiliser. Your dealer would need to type in the chassis in theyr database so it can be identified to be sure. If you only ask the Toyota dealer for the generic price it may not apply to your car.

Ello

hedleyf and gniie thanks for reply,

the prius is a Uk spec model july 2001 one of the early saloon models the key has a transducer built into it and any new keys need to be programed to enable the imobiliser, i down loaded a set of instuctions that is a sequence of steps involving ignition key door locks door open and closing and button pressing on the transducer which should enable the ECU to accept new transducers but they do not appear to work on the prius.

The instruction cost 99p so before i throw any more cash at this and endup with useless transducers and instructions that do not work (all available on e-bay at various prices) i was hoping some one on the forum might share some wisdom on this problem that other members may benefit from.

tried contacting the 2 previous owners to try and track down the missing keys but nil responce.

last straw is to pay the dealer £200 pounds

Cheers BD.

• 2 weeks later...
:) Looks like a job for toyota by what I can make out, no manual way yet that we have worked out.

Ello hedleyf

sorry it has taken a while to respond but i have been trying to solve this issue and BINGO!!

I found some info on an american prius site and printed it out it took me two attempts to programme a second hand transducer/remote lock/unlock unit, and the next one worked first time.

You have to programe the imobiliser first then the remote.

I got 3 transducers on e-bay for a tenner 2 of them work on the prius but one will not lock/unlock so it appears you have to have the same unit for the remote but all the transducers can be programmed to match the immobiliser.

total cost to date 28quid for two blank flip fob keys 10quid for 3 transducers and i got the key blank cut for free by a local locksmith as he did not think his machine would cut it correctly. I now have 2 master keys and an emergency get in and start key for 38 quid and some digging around.

Thanks to all who contributed

Next job fit TNS 200 sat nav (anyone know where to get the auxillary wiring loom to connect to the head unit)

site for prius info www.coastaletech.com

Cheeers BD.

:D Hi,

Ya its amazing what you can do with time and persiverance,cor thats a big word for me not sure I spelt it right though,anyway well done,thanks for the site address Ill check it out later,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links