Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

V Power

The Iceman

Is anybody using V power diesel, I used the petrol before I switched cars and found it much better but is the diesel worth the extra cash?

I used it in my Golf for ages & it did have a slight impact on the MPG & I feel made the car feel more responsive in the low revs but it started to become a pain in the backside making sure I could find a Shell garage that was selling it & then waiting for the 1 pump that had it to become free when I could have just filled with normal diesel at another pump. It was especially frustrating when I was going on a long journey in a convoy & other people were waiting for me so I stopped & now just use normal to save the messing about.

It's a pain though, I stopped using it just before they brought out this promotion where you get free little Ferraris, I'd have got loads of them by now if I'd have stuck with it

I use either V Power or BP Ultra depending on where I'm passing (the nearest is 11 miles away). It definitely makes the engine sound better with less pronounced diesel knock and there is some benefit in terms of fuel consumption but only 2 or 3 mpg.

The main reason I use it is because I am hoping that it will have a beneficial effect on the internal components of the engine - ie the fuel pump and injectors as well as less production of carbon build up. The latter was responsible for taking my brother in law 4 weeks to extract a duff injector from the cylinder head of his LR Freelander (TD4 engine).

I would say the use of high grade diesel would be a very sound investment for T180 owners, the engine of which employ very expensive piezo electronic injectors and a fifth injector in the exhaust that is known to clog up under certain conditions.

T180 owners - you have been warned!

Don't know what your local stations are like, but both my local Shells have V-Power petrola nd diesel on all their pumps.

I used V-power for a year, when I first got the car, but started to use regular when the fuel prices started to get really silly!! Have gone back to V-power now, because of the Ferrari toys promotion, but will continue using it now as i do think the engine does run smoother with it.

Don't know what your local stations are like, but both my local Shells have V-Power petrola nd diesel on all their pumps.

I used V-power for a year, when I first got the car, but started to use regular when the fuel prices started to get really silly!! Have gone back to V-power now, because of the Ferrari toys promotion, but will continue using it now as i do think the engine does run smoother with it.

The other thing I've noticed is that the price premium seems to have reduced. I'm sure it was 10 - 12p at first but since the price of diesel has mushroomed it is nearer 7 or 8p. Have you found that?

If you buy 30 litres, the difference in price just about covers the usual £1.99 buy price of the toy car. :D

If you are running on near-empty, your Ferrari will cost you :crybaby:

I'm buying the V-Power now anyway :thumbsup:

And again! I drove past the garage yesterday and diesel was £113.9. Today it is £114.9 - that could be twice this week.

Use V power diesel occasionally. Have it in at the moment. I have to agree, gives it an extra refined feeling. Only reason for buying it as far as I am concerned.

Can't agree about the mpg. I keep all the figures and it seems to make no difference. Maybe I'll do some real stats when I have enough data. Weather conditions can give 2-3 mpg difference IMHO.

I find the exact opposite with the V power pumps. Easy to get to the one round here, probably all to tight to buy it :unsure:

6p difference between "ordinary" diesel and V power around here, but probably close to or same area as Simon.

Yeah, the differential between petrol and diesel prices seems to be increasing (or is it just me?).

Now call me cynical, but I though all diesel was basically from the same refinery in each area, with just a bucket full of additives chucked into the tanker to claim a brand difference. I'm not suggesting that is the case with V power, it probably does have a higher cetane number, but I'm never convinced any of one brand of the ordinary stuff is any different to any other. Anybody from the petro-chemical industry on here who can explain and put me right?

Remember that Shell petrol stuff a few years ago that was so clean it ate the valves as well? :rolleyes: Or was that just an urban myth?

Cheers :thumbsup:

both my local Shells have V-Power petrola nd diesel on all their pumps.

Nope, not here, I know a few that have it & most pumps have normal unleaded, v power unleaded & normal diesel but with the 1 pump that does v power diesel. Sometimes it's a pain in the hoop waiting for it when 3 or 4 other pumps aren't even being used

Is it me or does Essex have the most expensive Diesel around.... one BP garage I always seem to end up at when the RAV coughs and needs filling up....is now at £118.9 for Derv and £111.9 for Petrol...and has no pumps for Diesel Ultimate...and one the wife passes a Gulf station is trying to flease punters into paying £121.8 for Diesel :eek: :eek:

So I pass the BP and fill up near work where it is a reasonable £114.9 for Diesel.......

£5.54 a gallon! I think it is because you are all rich Chatman :P Are you sure there isn't oil on your ranch? Might be worth shooting at a few of those jack-rabbits!!!

£5.54 a gallon! I think it is because you are all rich Chatman :P Are you sure there isn't oil on your ranch? Might be worth shooting at a few of those jack-rabbits!!!

It's like being in a war film here....all the !Removed! farmers have those bird scarer automatic guns ... boom :blowup: boom every now and then boom :blowup: boom

Might start drilling at end of garden to see if any oil is present ;) ;) ......but make sure I don't hit the septic tank :sick: :sick:

Is it me or does Essex have the most expensive Diesel around.... one BP garage I always seem to end up at when the RAV coughs and needs filling up....is now at £118.9 for Derv and £111.9 for Petrol...and has no pumps for Diesel Ultimate...and one the wife passes a Gulf station is trying to flease punters into paying £121.8 for Diesel :eek: :eek:

So I pass the BP and fill up near work where it is a reasonable £114.9 for Diesel.......

I find it quite amusing that we can now say 114.9p is now reasonable, especially when 80% of this is tax, hasn't the £ against the $ been very strong recently which means shouldn't we have been getting more not less fuel for our pound. Its not so bad if your just running your private car, but anyone who makes a living with a vehicle is in trouble, :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Re the V-Power and the toy - ahem - MODEL cars ....

just saw this on eBay ...

Shell V-Power Ferrari 360spider - Boxed

OK - so if you buy from the garage without buying 30litres of V-Power it costs £1.99 and this guy is selling his car at £1.00 - but then £3.00 for P&P!! he's having a giraffe!!

EDIT: just saw this one as well :eek:

£4.99 + £3.00 P&P for a toy you can buy for £1.99 in any Shell forecourt :wacko:

I find it quite amusing that we can now say 114.9p is now reasonable, especially when 80% of this is tax, hasn't the £ against the $ been very strong recently which means shouldn't we have been getting more not less fuel for our pound. Its not so bad if your just running your private car, but anyone who makes a living with a vehicle is in trouble, :angry:

Well BP named above is now selling at £119.9 for Diesel, most near work (Enfield) are now at £119 as well :angry: most expensive I've seen Diesel at is £124 :lol: :lol: luckily i don't need to fill up there......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links