Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mod Chips Add 5-20 Bhp?

micky1stop

Hi Guys,

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Can anyone of you clever people out there, tell me whether, those so-called 'MOD CHIPS ADD 5-20 BHP', as seen on eBay etc, actually work?

And if they do, how easy are they to fit, and where do they go, i.e. between which 'sensor' and the ECU?

I keep hearing people talking about them, but never actually seen or used one!

I would like to give one a try, but a bit hesitant!!!!

My car is a Celica GT 'L' reg 1994 Gen6 st202. So would it work on this, and where would I put it??

Cheers

Micky

The only chips to add BHP are full remaps, performance 'piggy back' chips or fully replaced ECU's for performance tuned chips.

Those cheap add 5-20HP chips do not work. They only add HP and not BHP. They work by tricking the ECU to thinking the air entering the engine is colder than it is, so that it supplies a better amount of petrol to the mix. This inturn does mean you get a slight HP increase at that point, but it does not increase your general horse power.

If you have a 100BHP car, these chips will not alter that to 105-120BHP. Your car will still be a 100BHP car, but a certain points (in lower gears normally) you will have a bit more power added. To be honest they're not worth buying, as they probably do more damage than good.

If you want a good horsepower increase, you need to speed money. You won't get that from spending upto £10. If they did work, all cars would have them fitted as standard.

The only chips to add BHP are full remaps, performance 'piggy back' chips or fully replaced ECU's for performance tuned chips.

Those cheap add 5-20HP chips do not work. They only add HP and not BHP. They work by tricking the ECU to thinking the air entering the engine is colder than it is, so that it supplies a better amount of petrol to the mix. This inturn does mean you get a slight HP increase at that point, but it does not increase your general horse power.

If you have a 100BHP car, these chips will not alter that to 105-120BHP. Your car will still be a 100BHP car, but a certain points (in lower gears normally) you will have a bit more power added. To be honest they're not worth buying, as they probably do more damage than good.

If you want a good horsepower increase, you need to speed money. You won't get that from spending upto £10. If they did work, all cars would have them fitted as standard.

Hi edwardio, thanx for the info mate.

That all makes sense to me.

Cheers

Micky :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

A little extra info:

As stated above the resistor mod tricks your ECU into thinking the engine is cold and therfore your car will constantly run in cold start mode.

Fitting one of these mods WILL result in damage to your engine and probably your exhaust system.

Your car will continuously overfuel with any unburt fuel being dumped down the exhaust which may result in one or more of the following:

• cylinder bore wash

• burnt valves

• damaged catalytic convertor

• damaged lambda sensor/s

Modern car ECU's will often realise there is a problem, your engine light will come on and the car will enter limp home mode.

The limp home map should be different from the cold start map, I'm unsure which one would take precedence in this situation.

Hi Andy and thanx for that extra info.

I am not going to bother trying this, as from what Ive heard from the likes of you two guys,

and others, its not worth breaking summit that ain't broke!!

Thanx again Micky

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links