Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lc4 Trip Computer Missing!

firemac

Hi Folks,

I've got a 57 reg LC4 (bought "new" in Feb '08 with 150 miles on the clock) & I'm really pleased with it. One thing I do find rather surprising however in this day & age is the absence of a trip computer - I've had to revert to a notebook, pen & calculator to keep track of the fuel consumption. As for average speed, forget it! This, despite the dealer having advertised it as having one although, in fairness, Toyota GB dealers seem to use the same pro-forma web ads for everything. Additionally, the handbook says it should have one but the diagram of operating buttons looks nothing like my dash-top digi display. Both the selling dealer & another, more local, were unable to find it - the latter's mechanic spent 15 minutes trying to unearth it but finally had to give up; he seemed genuinely perplexed at the end.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to ask if anyone out there has an LC4 in which they have managed to resurrect the TC. Also, maybe someone from Toyota GB can explain why it has been deleted - I understand that they used to be standard.

Thanks,

Firemac

Well, let me first share my envy at your '08 plater! Mine is a 53 plate, an LC4, diesel auto. Mine is the new shape.

Congratulations on your car! I've recently been tempted to trade mine in for a newer version, primarily for the trip computer. I know, it sounds silly! All my previous cars (BMW 530, 740iL,Toyota Verso, my wife's mini) hve all had trip computers. I was under the impression that onwards from '07 plate 'Cruisers have the trip computer! I still remember asking a (useless) dealer about the lack of a TC. I was concerned that I wouldn't know how far I can drive still - he sarcastically pointed to the fuel guage!

It is disappointing to learn that your LC4 (the previous LC5) doesn't have a TC!

Do you have any fuel consumption figures yet? I average about 25mpg in town - same as my wife's "eco-friendly" Mini and about 29-30mpg on the motorway.

The best mpg so far was 28 on a (quick) run with the worst being just over 20 mpg. I must admit that I find the performance very good bearing in mind the weight & brick-like aerodynamics of the vehicle so I tend to cane it a bit more than I should, I suppose. If I was more light-footed the economy would no doubt improve. But as a wise old uncle of mine used to say, if the only thing you're buying is fuel, then it's a cheap car. In these days of mega reliable vehicles, I guess that doesn't apply so much anymore but this is my 4th Toyota & so far they have only cost fuel, servicing, insurance & essenial consumables. No breakdowns or add'l costs of any kind. It's also very comfy & roomy for the family - not to mention the security that you have should the worst happen; with the number of crazies on the road these days, that's a bigger consideration than in the past (& if the tree-huggers & lycra brigade think this is selfish then screw them - my family's well-being comes first).

Still think the omission of the TC is ludicrous, especially as all the electronics in the engine management system are still there!!

The best mpg so far was 28 on a (quick) run with the worst being just over 20 mpg. I must admit that I find the performance very good bearing in mind the weight & brick-like aerodynamics of the vehicle so I tend to cane it a bit more than I should, I suppose. If I was more light-footed the economy would no doubt improve. But as a wise old uncle of mine used to say, if the only thing you're buying is fuel, then it's a cheap car. In these days of mega reliable vehicles, I guess that doesn't apply so much anymore but this is my 4th Toyota & so far they have only cost fuel, servicing, insurance & essenial consumables. No breakdowns or add'l costs of any kind. It's also very comfy & roomy for the family - not to mention the security that you have should the worst happen; with the number of crazies on the road these days, that's a bigger consideration than in the past (& if the tree-huggers & lycra brigade think this is selfish then screw them - my family's well-being comes first).

Still think the omission of the TC is ludicrous, especially as all the electronics in the engine management system are still there!!

I agree the omission is madness. Aren't the TC buttons in your clock/temperature display housing? I'm a "Tree-hugger" :P No, for real, I try recycle, re-use things etc, but only so that I can smugly drive my Landcruiser B) I am also VEGETARIAN, which makes me more smug as in my perfect world, all my CO2 emissions are offset by this ;) I had a tree hugger try to attack me the other day about my vehicle choice. He drives a 1.1 litre something. I pointed out that his car still makes 125gm CO2/km. I also pointed out to him that I am vegetarian and he's not. He was a bit puzzled and asked what that had to do with anything - until I pointed out the article in New Scientist magazine that shows a 300gm steak has a carbon footprint of 5.8KG - that's nearly 11lbs of CO2 to make ONE 300g steak. That is equivalent to me driving 15miles in my 4x4. Needless to say, that settled the argument!

But yea, it is a great, roomy car! On long trips, we stick a camping fridge in the back, the kids have their TVs on and we ave loads of load space! And as you point out, I'd rather be in my Landcruiser vs a souped up Peugeot 206 driving by a teen maniac, than in my wife's Mini in case of an accident!

I agree the omission is madness. Aren't the TC buttons in your clock/temperature display housing? I'm a "Tree-hugger" :P No, for real, I try recycle, re-use things etc, but only so that I can smugly drive my Landcruiser B) I am also VEGETARIAN, which makes me more smug as in my perfect world, all my CO2 emissions are offset by this ;) I had a tree hugger try to attack me the other day about my vehicle choice. He drives a 1.1 litre something. I pointed out that his car still makes 125gm CO2/km. I also pointed out to him that I am vegetarian and he's not. He was a bit puzzled and asked what that had to do with anything - until I pointed out the article in New Scientist magazine that shows a 300gm steak has a carbon footprint of 5.8KG - that's nearly 11lbs of CO2 to make ONE 300g steak. That is equivalent to me driving 15miles in my 4x4. Needless to say, that settled the argument!

But yea, it is a great, roomy car! On long trips, we stick a camping fridge in the back, the kids have their TVs on and we ave loads of load space! And as you point out, I'd rather be in my Landcruiser vs a souped up Peugeot 206 driving by a teen maniac, than in my wife's Mini in case of an accid

Although the handbook does show the buttons you refer to, they ain't on my car. Must admit I've never been approached by any of our more extreme green brethren although I did get all sorts of attitude from a city centre cyclist a few days back. He seemed to feel that he was entitled to freely swerve in & out of traffic at 20-30 mph without any thought for whether slower-moving drivers were able to spot his approach. No doubt the poor car driver who eventually kills the b**tard because the cyclist effectively makes himslf invisible will spend the rest of his life being made to feel guilty about something that wasn't fully his responsibility. In my recent case though I think that the twerp simply didn't like the Cruiser & stereotyped me. Really annoying however as I'm also a biker (motorcycles not push bikes although I use one of those occasionally as well) & know how important it is to make sure that other road-users know I'm there! Pity my self-righteous cyclist didn't have the wit to think about that.

But yea, it is a great, roomy car! On long trips, we stick a camping fridge in the back, the kids have their TVs on and we ave loads of load space! And as you point out, I'd rather be in my Landcruiser vs a souped up Peugeot 206 driving by a teen maniac, than in my wife's Mini in case of an accid

Although the handbook does show the buttons you refer to, they ain't on my car. Must admit I've never been approached by any of our more extreme green brethren although I did get all sorts of attitude from a city centre cyclist a few days back. He seemed to feel that he was entitled to freely swerve in & out of traffic at 20-30 mph without any thought for whether slower-moving drivers were able to spot his approach. No doubt the poor car driver who eventually kills the b**tard because the cyclist effectively makes himslf invisible will spend the rest of his life being made to feel guilty about something that wasn't fully his responsibility. In my recent case though I think that the twerp simply didn't like the Cruiser & stereotyped me. Really annoying however as I'm also a biker (motorcycles not push bikes although I use one of those occasionally as well) & know how important it is to make sure that other road-users know I'm there! Pity my self-righteous cyclist didn't have the wit to think about that.

Yea, it is bad how cyclists carry on. As self-righteously upset they get with me about my 4x4, I get with them. I mean, I pay £210 Roat tax per year as well as fuel tax etc, cyclists pay NONE - so they don't have right to be on the road - IMHO!

I do try and be a very cautious, conscientious 4x4 driver (unlike some school run moms in Range Rovers). But there are times I tell ya, where I just can't help myself! Like when everybody stops to avoid a puddle in the road - I gun it - or like a speed bump in the road... I DO love my car!

Got any pics of your beauty? Here's mine; Not the colour I've always wanted - I wanted a silver or white, but the green grows on my daily (been 6 months)

2008_06250109.jpg

2008_06250100.jpg

Got any pics of your beauty? Here's mine; Not the colour I've always wanted - I wanted a silver or white, but the green grows on my daily (been 6 months)

2008_06250109.jpg

2008_06250100.jpg

Nice. No pics of mine yet but if you look at the black 5-door on the Toyota GB site LC gallery, then mine's identical (although I'm not sure about the TC!!). I agree about silver, which I think is probably the nicest colour for the LC - it certainly looks good on my wife's RAV4 - but white only works with blue UN logos & a battlefield background :D .

In South Africa, white is the UK's silver! Most, probably 4 out of 10 if not more, cars are white. I used to think it is boring there, but occasionally I see a white car in the UK and I love it!

By the way, does your car have the steering wheel audio controls?

In South Africa, white is the UK's silver! Most, probably 4 out of 10 if not more, cars are white. I used to think it is boring there, but occasionally I see a white car in the UK and I love it!

By the way, does your car have the steering wheel audio controls?

No, I think they're only on the Invincible.

I'll stop looking as well then - very strange ommission on a very expensive car!

I got an '08 invincible last week few months old and 400 miles - really all but new.

spent the last week thinking I was stupid as I couldn't find the .

as for mpg I did 450 miles on the 2nd day I had I and got 33mpg - this was at a steady 60-70mph mainly on cruise but with some very bad traffic delays as well.

I'll stop looking as well then - very strange ommission on a very expensive car!

I got an '08 invincible last week few months old and 400 miles - really all but new.

spent the last week thinking I was stupid as I couldn't find the .

as for mpg I did 450 miles on the 2nd day I had I and got 33mpg - this was at a steady 60-70mph mainly on cruise but with some very bad traffic delays as well.

I was beginning to think that I was simply second-class having settled for an LC4 rather than the Indestructable (thanks, Jeremy!). Now though, you've got me worried - there is clearly a TC thief at large. Either that or Mr. Toyoda has thought it would be worth chancing his arm with our TCs to save a few yen.

If I had an Invincible that was missing such a basic toy I'd be seriously p155ed. Boy, am I glad I only bought the LC4!!!

Seriously though, 33 mpg is bl00dy good! That's better than Toyota's published figre & we all know they're pretty much fabricated on another planet.

I can't believe I can't get the info up on the sat nav screen - not had a car in 10 years that I couldn't get a mpg read out of.

As for economy - the 2nd tank is going a far bit quicker so not expecting to hit 30 - but this is a much better indication of my use as it's been short trips all week some with 7 up and 60 miles of towing a twin axle caravan. I really wanted to know what I was getting when towing but I'll just have to work it out as an average for the tank.

Truthfully saved so much on the new list price with the invincible that I guess Mr T took the TC off and is selling it on eBay!

There was an LC Invincible at the Toyota dealership I was at today. I asked one of the sales people there. He was stumped, I showed him the picture of the trip computer in the brochure and the lack of the TC in their display model. He went to go find out, but he was trying too hard to flirt with the cute blond 18 year old girl making the tea.

So, clearly the dealers aren't interested, it seems it is up to us to find the trip computers!

There was an LC Invincible at the Toyota dealership I was at today. I asked one of the sales people there. He was stumped, I showed him the picture of the trip computer in the brochure and the lack of the TC in their display model. He went to go find out, but he was trying too hard to flirt with the cute blond 18 year old girl making the tea.

So, clearly the dealers aren't interested, it seems it is up to us to find the trip computers!

Obviously the saleman was easily pleased. I mean, a blonde?! No taste!

I am surprised though because usually the one thing you can't criticiseToyotas for is lack of toys. I'm sure that Mr. T monitors sites like this one so, come on Toyoda-san, get your digit out & tell us where the bl00dy Tc is!!!!

Obviously the saleman was easily pleased. I mean, a blonde?! No taste!

I am surprised though because usually the one thing you can't criticiseToyotas for is lack of toys. I'm sure that Mr. T monitors sites like this one so, come on Toyoda-san, get your digit out & tell us where the bl00dy Tc is!!!!

Well, she was quite pretty an perky and not too sharp, so obviously it was easy pickings ;)

Actually, I have always found Toyotas in South Africa to be frightfuly devoid of toys - even things like headlight level adjusters and rear windscreen wipers are a rarity there!

increasingly gutted :D not really but it is odd.

the brochure I have definitely shows the TP - with compass etc - looks like it's been deleted as the spec list doesn't mention it - but does mention the odometer with TWO trip recorders (gee thanks)

I agree that the LC looks good in silver.... here is mine

DSCN1618.jpg

However I love black and green too, but silver is much easier to keep clean ;) I considered white but the dealer said this would have been a bad choice for resale :(

I also find it annoying that it does not have a trip computer.... but heck it is a great car all the same :)

I agree that the LC looks good in silver.... here is mine

DSCN1618.jpg

However I love black and green too, but silver is much easier to keep clean ;) I considered white but the dealer said this would have been a bad choice for resale :(

I also find it annoying that it does not have a trip computer.... but heck it is a great car all the same :)

Yea, I like that. Almost makes me wish I'd waited for a silver one but having 2 silver 4x4's in the driveway somehow seemed odd. Anyway, there weren't any demos around in silver at the time. You're right about ease of cleaning though, black can be a !Removed! in the winter. I had mine treated with Supaguard when I bought it which seems to help keep it clean. Must get some photos taken to keep up with the rest of you.....

Still think its pants not having a TC. Can't belive that Toyota penny-pinched it - so what's the reason? All their other cars have one..... I'm starting to get a bit pi55ed off now; maybe a Shogun next.....

What about one of these:

http://www.scangauge.com/

They're available in UK gallons and plug into the socket above the throttle. I'm seriously tempted.

Yea, it looks pretty cool. But the problem is that it will look like some kid's Souped up Peugeot 206 in the end. I'd rather just be without it then.

Does anyone know if the Scangauge can be bought from a UK supplier :unsure:

Does anyone know if the Scangauge can be bought from a UK supplier :unsure:

A quick search on eBay shows you can get it here from Greece for around £120 including shipping

What about one of these:

http://www.scangauge.com/

They're available in UK gallons and plug into the socket above the throttle. I'm seriously tempted.

Yea, it looks pretty cool. But the problem is that it will look like some kid's Souped up Peugeot 206 in the end. I'd rather just be without it then.

Well said. Fact is that I shouldn't need to pay $170 for a piece of non-designed crap when I've spent £30K+ on what is supposed to be a quality product! LR wouldn't screw up like this (even if they haven't quite managed the reliability thing yet...) :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links