Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing

gunner1

I have the chance of a 2002 Auto Rav, low milage, FSH, but its fitted with a Towbar.

Should I have any concerns about the Auto clutch/gearbox as its obviously been towing something, horsebox or whatever

You should have no concerns at all, the RAV is a very capable tower, however as with all second hand purchases, you should satisfy yourself that the gearbox works properly and that the car in general is in good condition. If in doubt have it independantly inspected by the AA / RAC just to make sure

Kingo :thumbsup:

Like Kingo says :thumbsup:

You could also ask what the RAV has been towing and how often if it still concerns you - the dealer may know?

I have a towbar on my RAV and in the last two years since fitting it, I have towed a small garden trailer a total of maybe 200 miles? maybe 'your' RAV4 will be similar!

The dealer keeps ringing me every other day to see if I want to do the deal, even offered to bring it 50 miles to me to do the deal.

He`s not a Toyota dealer but has a used car dealership in Hemel Hempstead with their own RAC cover on the car.

He is persistent should I worry I wonder or am I just being over cautious, his website look genuine.

Gunner

Nobody is buying cars at the moment - least of all 4X4s. The RAV isn't affected by the tax issues of the "Chelsea Tractors" but take the opportunity to squeeze the dealer is he wants your business so badly.

As the others say these are pretty durable so don't worry too much if it drives OK.

It might have towed a horse box and it might have towed a diddy trailer to the recycling site once in a while!

Regards

Mines got a towbar and I've used it for dragging trees stumps out of ground; a 2.5 ton caravan; a 1 tonne car transporter trailer with a 2 ton Jaguar on it for 400 miles....and I could go on. The standing start quarter mile attempts probably take more out of the car.

The RAV transmission /drivetrain is over-engineered to cope with more than you could throw at it...apart from the 6 year old dieselly burners with the DMF clutch/flywheel.

Beat the dealer down and demand a free off-roading holiday thrown in to give the car a try-out during the warranty period!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links