Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Write Off

just trouble

Morning All. I haven't used this forum before but I would like some help and advice for a mate who has just lost his pride and joy a mint 1 previous owner 1990 Supra 3.0i Turbo with FSH 64000 miles and fully equiped which was written off last week. He is anticipating the insurance company to try and pull a fast one and try to rip him off with a final figure for compensation. Bearing in mind the condition what should he realisticaly expect back from the insurers. Hope you guy's can help. Cheers.

Your probably looking in the region of £2500-£3000 for resale vavlue, not sure of what the book price is, no doubt peanuts.

His best bet would be too try and get the car back off the insurance company and sell it for spares.

Pass on my condonences, not good to see a good example go the steel heaven.

nsw 25 thanks for your reply and yes you are bang on the money he paid, £2500 for his Supra last year but he is unsure what to expect in return for his loss. I dread to think what they may palm him off with? Can he insist like for like from his company (ie a Supra of identicle condition/specification/mileage as a replacement instead of a cash settlement) or does he HAVE to accept their 1st, 2nd or even 3rd offer as their ultimate offer? Cheers. Nick

ps come on guy's what would be accepticle to you. Has anybody been here before, of course you have, whats the score?

You wont get a replacement identical car im afraid, it'll be a cash settlement. But you dont have to accept any offer until you are happy with it.

What you need is as much documentation on the vehicle as you can get, proving the condition e.t.c e.t.c.

Thanks for the info nws25. He has some very good digi pictures inside and out from when he first bought the car (I think many of us have done that) and has the FSH plus ALL the MOT certs/bills/receipts for his Supra from the previous fadious owner. I hope this will help persuade the insurance company that the car was a gem, but will it sway their final offer I wonder?

Never settle for their first offer.

Make sure he sends to the insurance company, loads of similar adverts from Autotrader, with the price he is looking to get, and tell him don't be frightened to go to the financial ombudsman if he is unhappy with their decision. We had to write to them recently and they agreed with our value and not the Insurance Companies.

Hello EmmaG

Thanks for you response and advice. My mate called the other day to say that the insurance company have offered to pay in full the same amount that he himself paid for the car (that was their first offer) :thumbsup: which is good news. However someone has told him to hold out for a better offer IF he wants to replace the car like for like or very similar. Once it is finally resolved I will post the out come here. Cheers. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought that I would let you know that my mate received £2,500 for this Supra and the cheque was on the mat within 14 days!!! :thumbsup: Downside the car was classed a cat B write off so he couldn't buy it back and break it for spares, but at least no hassel from insurers. Cheers for your advice. JT :thumbsup:

I know its locking the old gate after the horse has bolted but when he buys his next car if it is a bit special and he gets it cheap (lightning striking twice I no) then get an assured evaluation certificate for it. It entails a bit of legwork and taking of photo's filling in a bit of paperwork but the certificate is good for 3 years. A mate of mine has a landrover defender thats been mega done up for offroading and is irreplaceable especially at book price, it took him a short while to sort but having seen this thread i will be getting mine done after I have the thing leathered and supercharged. Anyway anyone looking at this with a motor thats worth a significant amount more than book should consider getting that cert.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links