Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa 2.4 Auto Gearbox Jumping In Reverse

John Hong Kong

Hi all,

Just joined the site today - looks like there's an awful lot of experience here, which hopefully I can draw from, and also add to.

I own an automatic '02 2.4 ACR30 (Previa), which for me is perfect.

Recently, I have noticed that, when reverse is selected and I try to move back it will temporarily 'jump' out of gear - this especially when reversing up a hill. The selector stays in 'R' but the car will sit where it is after the 'jump experience, followed by what I would describe as a smell of clutch if it were a manual.

I have spoken to Toyota here in Hong Kong, and they have indicated to me that it could be a friction plate problem, but that this would require a complete gearbox change. After some investigation, I have established that a new box from either Toyota or outside from the parts shops will cost in the region of HK$30,000 (around 2,000 pounds); for obvious reasons I don't really want to Shell out this kind of cash.

I bought the car about 2 years ago, and it has 56,000km's recorded (only 30,000 miles!), but I fear that it has been used in a previous life as what we call here a "China car", which ferries people up to mainland China, and has been clocked as a consequence of the high milage that these journeys would produce - I can't stop this thought spinning in my head, as I cannot imagine that a heavy duty box like the Previa would start to give out after only 30k miles.

Has anybody experienced this before, or could anyone point me in the right direction as to how I may be able to sort this out - I've been in Hong Kong for nearly 15 years, but originally from Manchester in the UK, so have spent a lot of time under cars, and would be prepared to do it myself if I could.

Feedback sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

J

You do have checked the transmission oil level ??

What color does the oil have clear red ?? or Brown ??

Please do post your solution, if you find any. I also drive a automatic 2.4 and have some small problems with the automatic transmission...

- Allan

Allan,

I'll take a quick sample of the trans oil tomorrow morning (the luxury of a day off!) and keep you posted

I'm also thinking that it might be something to do with worn drive shafts (this "China car" thought again!), but it only ever happens in reverse, and is smooth as silk going forward!

Watch this space!

John

Allan,

This morning I checked the trans oil level, viscosity, and content for any "bits". I also checked with Toyota, as well as the handbook regarding frequency of change - Toyota told me the same answer as I found in the book, inspection only every 40,000Km's, but when I looked at the oil itself (the level was fine) I found that;-

• the oil was more pink than red

• there were darker specs in the oil itself, and

• that the oil seemed very "thin" (I.e. viscosity was less than what I would have expected)

I changed the oil as a result, using Toyota T-04 as the replacement, and took her out for a spin. I have to say that there is some noticeable difference in the smothness of the gearchange, albeit very minor or invisible to any other driver; the problem with jump from reverse still remains.

Overall conclusion to date - if my suspicions about the car having travelled half way round the planet could ever be confirmed true, changing the oil at this stage can't have done her any harm.

Next stop in the quest to solve this jumpy problem, drive shafts - that unless anybody else who's had the same problem has been faster than me to experience it, and would be kind enough to share the gen!?

John

Allan,

Sorry for appearing to be selfishly focussing on my glitches alone - what problems are you experiencing with your transmission, and what milage have you covered?

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links