Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cruise Control

I have found various links to US based sites that describe what appears to be an approved by Toyota, but aftermarket Cruise control unit made by a company called Rostra Precision Controls:-

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9345

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-29-2006-100769.asp

http://electronman.stores.yahoo.net/yaris20062007.html

Has anyone fitted this in the UK, if so where did you get it from, and what is the cost?

I am thinking about getting this shipped over from the states if i cant get it from anywhere in the UK, Any one interested in a group buy?

No One with an '06 onwards Yaris fancy Cruise control.....?

Believe me mate if there was granted one feature thats missing form my car that I would like to add - it would be cruise control.

Other manufactures of small superminis allow this for a modest sum, why not Toyota?

I have enquired about this to Toyota UK and they said it cannot be done to my D4D MMT model.

My car is just over 2 years old and is approaching 20k and the engine is finally run in as I am getting mpg values of at least 63 mpg and thats a mixture of all kinds of driving.

I am worried if I have it done, what havoc could it wreak later on not to mention where I stand if repairs ont he unit is required. .

Any thoughts?

No One with an '06 onwards Yaris fancy Cruise control.....?

Believe me mate if there was granted one feature thats missing form my car that I would like to add - it would be cruise control.

Other manufactures of small superminis allow this for a modest sum, why not Toyota?

I have enquired about this to Toyota UK and they said it cannot be done to my D4D MMT model.

My car is just over 2 years old and is approaching 20k and the engine is finally run in as I am getting mpg values of at least 63 mpg and thats a mixture of all kinds of driving.

I am worried if I have it done, what havoc could it wreak later on not to mention where I stand if repairs ont he unit is required. .

Any thoughts?

I have asked the supplier if there are any issues or restrictions on engine size etc, but there is definatley one listed for the MMT model on the site i posted in the link above, but they are coming back to me on this with a definative answer.

As far as i know, your warranty is valid for parts not affected by upgrades, so would need to check with Mr T, but i did the same thing to an Audi A4 a few years ago and there were no parts that were affected under the Audi warranty by having a similar system fitted. Toyota US offer this as a dealer fit option with no effect to the standard warranty, so arguably there should be no issue.

When i have an answer on engines, prices etc, i will update the post.

As listed they cost $239 USD and on eBay similar systems cost c£30 to ship to the UK, so even with no discount that works out to about £140 delivered, and then its apparently 1.5 hours to fit so depending on the labour costs realistically we are looking at somewhere around the £200 mark.

When you find soem more info especially on mine let me know. It all seems official enough as I too know Yaris owners in North America can specify cruise control.

I am mega cheesed off with my dealership for instantly saying "no" when I asked about retrofitting cruisecontrol.

Toyota UK said it can't be done as the number of parts that need replacing would make it difficult.

FFS I am asking for cruise control not a four wheel drive system.

Cruise control is a very limited market, you may want it, but most people dont. Toyota dont make an aftermarket cruise kit, so to fit it would require you to either buy or the original componants at great cost or buy an after market kit. We used to supply after market kits and they were a nightmare. Most operated by way of sensing the amount of vacuum in an engine, and most modern Toyota cars run on very limited vacuum, so the kits were very tempremental. Toyota would need to be sure that anything they put their name to was fit for purpose, and that they would get a return on their investment, highly unlikely that would be based on the number of units they would sell. I get asked once or twice a year to see if we do a kit, and thats across the whole range!

One note about buying in from America, you WILL be charged import tax and VAT, budget for this as the charge will be levied by the courier when they deliver it. At todays rates $239 is £157 plus £30 delivery = £187, add import duty and VAT and this comes in at £230 ish plus fitting, (possibly £75 at £50 per hour) not quite so cheap as you first think

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cruise control is a very limited market, you may want it, but most people dont. Toyota dont make an aftermarket cruise kit, so to fit it would require you to either buy or the original componants at great cost or buy an after market kit. We used to supply after market kits and they were a nightmare. Most operated by way of sensing the amount of vacuum in an engine, and most modern Toyota cars run on very limited vacuum, so the kits were very tempremental. Toyota would need to be sure that anything they put their name to was fit for purpose, and that they would get a return on their investment, highly unlikely that would be based on the number of units they would sell. I get asked once or twice a year to see if we do a kit, and thats across the whole range!

One note about buying in from America, you WILL be charged import tax and VAT, budget for this as the charge will be levied by the courier when they deliver it. At todays rates $239 is £157 plus £30 delivery = £187, add import duty and VAT and this comes in at £230 ish plus fitting, (possibly £75 at £50 per hour) not quite so cheap as you first think

Oh dear.

Cheers for the reply.

From the looks of things, the Rostral unit isnt Vacum based, it runs via the ECU and road speed thus eliminating the vacum issue. Agreed on the import tax, apologies I forgot about that.

Regards the market size, I'm not sure that i agree, Vauxhall give you cruise on the equivelent Corsa, the new Fiesta is the same, so to my mind, if these two manufacturers who rule the roost and occupy jointly the biggest market share in this area then there must be a significant market requirement.

Also as more people start to downsize from bigger cars to more economical cars from larger more expensive vehicals that are fitted with extras like cruise, they will become more in demand. My last 3 cars before the Aygo and then Yaris all had cruise fitted, and being someone who does a lot of motorway miles i do find it very usefull, however its probably because im used to it!

I can only speak as I find on demand for cruise control, we get very little call for it, maybe if a kit was available, there would be a chance to market it, but I still say, based on customers speaking to me, its a very limited market. Apologies for not knowing how the new kits work, the vacuum type caused us no end of problems and I decided not to sell any more

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links