Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall

T Sport 1978

Hi all,

Just thought i'd let you all know and wondering if you guys have received the same, that there is a recall on some Auris for steering column issue where it could drop if excessive force is applied. I am in process of getting mine modified...

This is the first recall i have had to undertake! I wonder how they found this one out? I have not heard anyone with this problem on the forum...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T Sport 1978

• moonstone mart

• Speed_Chaser

• GreyRacer

Interesting. I've got a T180 but no contact from Mr T.

I've just looked at the Gov and AA sites but nothing listed for Auris.

Quick update

Just phoned my garage and it is correct. My letter is in the post.

Apparently the steering column can go off half cocked.

I have also been advised of a possible recall for the drive shafts. Letters to affected Auris owners will go out for December.

Interesting. I've got a T180 but no contact from Mr T.

I've just looked at the Gov and AA sites but nothing listed for Auris.

GreyRacer,

That is indeed interesting, maybe just certain chassis numbers.

Can i have the link to this Gov & AA site?

Quick update

I have also been advised of a possible recall for the drive shafts. Letters to affected Auris owners will go out for December.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

Quick update

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

Crikey!

I am guessing that you would have to proper put force (like body weight) onto the wheel to make it pop?

Any detail on the drive shaft one?

You are right, Auris isn't listed on those sites.

To make it clear, this is NOT a recall, you will NOT find it on VOSA or AA websites, it is a customer satisfaction campaign and differs hugely from a recall, in that the items concerned are being replaced as a precaution on CERTAIN models within a chassis number range. If you dont get a letter, you are probably NOT affected by it. There are two conditions, firstly the steering column, this is taken from the letter you will receive

it has come to our attention that on certain Auris

models, there is a possibility that vehicles equipped with telescopic steering, the steering column may

drop down from its original position by applying repeated excessive force during steering wheel

adjustment.

Secondly, there is a slight possibility that the left hand drive shaft may not be in spec and may need replacing, again you will be contacted by letter if Toyota think your car will be affected

Kingo :thumbsup:

humm I received 2 letters didn't read the second one thought it was a copy because it arrived 2 days later. I wonder if it had to do with the drive shaft :\

To make it clear, this is NOT a recall, you will NOT find it on VOSA or AA websites, it is a customer satisfaction campaign and differs hugely from a recall, in that the items concerned are being replaced as a precaution on CERTAIN models within a chassis number range. If you dont get a letter, you are probably NOT affected by it. There are two conditions, firstly the steering column, this is taken from the letter you will receive

models, there is a possibility that vehicles equipped with telescopic steering, the steering column may

drop down from its original position by applying repeated excessive force during steering wheel

adjustment.

Secondly, there is a slight possibility that the left hand drive shaft may not be in spec and may need replacing, again you will be contacted by letter if Toyota think your car will be affected

Apologies, didn't realise there is a difference between recall and a customer satisfaction campaign.

What is the left hand drive shaft? I thought that there is only 1 drive shaft?

Can you please tell us if there's any noise coming from the shaft, or other thing that we can see or hear, if the shaft is not in spec ?

How dangerous can this be?

Thank's

adjustment.

Hi Kingo

" it has come to our attention that on certain Auris models " - can you be more specified ??

Diesel or Petrol ?

Year/month of production ?

Special shipment to special country ?

thanks

What is the left hand drive shaft? I thought that there is only 1 drive shaft?

No there are two drive shafts per car, it is only the left hand shaft that has POSSIBLY been made out of specification, there will be no noise or visible fault, it is a strength issue of the shaft I believe, and only the left hand one

it has come to our attention that on certain Auris models " - can you be more specified ??

Sorry I cant be more specific, there are many models and chassis numbers to check out, you will get a letter from Toyota if yours is affected, if you are unsure, call in at your dealership, they have a list of chassis/model numbers to check against

Apologies, didn't realise there is a difference between recall and a customer satisfaction campaign.

Yes there is a big difference, customer satisfaction campaigns are run in order to put right today what might be a reliability problem later in the cars life, recalls cover safety critical items requiring attention today

:unsure:

Hi All

I'm a little confused. Had my Auris 3 weeks now and on Thursday got a letter from Mr T telling me about the steering column recall. So that morning I rang my local dealer (they took my reg number to confirm on their system) & booked it in for next week.

Today when I got home (24hrs later) another letter from Mr T this thanking me for bringing my car in ???? (when), apologising for an inconvenience, and telling me as well as cleaning my car they had put £15 of fuel in - are they telling me I'm getting my clean & fuel next week even though the letter read as if it's all been done already.

Karl

mine's been affected by the recall/satisfaction campaign for the sterring wheel. but not heard anything about the drive shaft. from having a look at this website though it doesnt look like mine is affected by the drive shaft one. clicky well worth a look. also has info on fitting proper toyota accessories like alarm and parking sensors. :P

:unsure:

Hi All

I'm a little confused. Had my Auris 3 weeks now and on Thursday got a letter from Mr T telling me about the steering column recall. So that morning I rang my local dealer (they took my reg number to confirm on their system) & booked it in for next week.

Today when I got home (24hrs later) another letter from Mr T this thanking me for bringing my car in ???? (when), apologising for an inconvenience, and telling me as well as cleaning my car they had put £15 of fuel in - are they telling me I'm getting my clean & fuel next week even though the letter read as if it's all been done already.

Karl

I'd photograph it next to the date on a newspaper page & take it with you so they definately do that.... ;)

Received my letter this morning about Steering work. Will ring Mr T Monday to book it in. Will ask them if I need drive-shaft work aswell.

Also, whats the ECU reprogram listed on Toyota service page above? http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/7K1E-0616.pdf

Received my letter this morning about Steering work. Will ring Mr T Monday to book it in. Will ask them if I need drive-shaft work aswell.

Also, whats the ECU reprogram listed on Toyota service page above? http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/7K1E-0616.pdf

This is a proactive campaign - as said ECU reflash done to cars fitted with AD series engines whenever they are in for any work.

The reflash updates the ECU software, it is to help with clogged/sticking EGR valves.

Mart.

This is a proactive campaign - as said ECU reflash done to cars fitted with AD series engines whenever they are in for any work.

The reflash updates the ECU software, it is to help with clogged/sticking EGR valves.

Mart.

Can you explain the above in simple english please !!

Mart.

I will but as yours is a 1.6 petrol it doesnt refer to your car at all. It is only the new diesel engine range (1AD,2ADFHV/2ADFTV)

On the diesels the inlet/EGR gets clogged with a build up of soot/carbon deposits. When the EGR valve clogs it begins to operate slowly and this shows a fault (warning light on) and can cause poor running.

The new ECU update (flash) changes the values for the EGR so that it works better/doesnt cause a problem or set the warning light on.

This isnt a safety issue/ big need to panic - just Toyota helping to sort out any future problems :)

Hope this makes a little more sense.

Mart

Mart.

I will but as yours is a 1.6 petrol it doesnt refer to your car at all. It is only the new diesel engine range (1AD,2ADFHV/2ADFTV)

On the diesels the inlet/EGR gets clogged with a build up of soot/carbon deposits. When the EGR valve clogs it begins to operate slowly and this shows a fault (warning light on) and can cause poor running.

The new ECU update (flash) changes the values for the EGR so that it works better/doesnt cause a problem or set the warning light on.

This isnt a safety issue/ big need to panic - just Toyota helping to sort out any future problems :)

Hope this makes a little more sense.

Mart

Thanks

I'm confused a little... What's the model code for the Auris 1.4 D-4D? I know the engine code(1ND-TV) but where can I find the model code? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the steering column letter today. Is this something which is likely to take several hours to put right, or a relatively quick job?

I got the steering column letter today. Is this something which is likely to take several hours to put right, or a relatively quick job?

Would say about an hour including them washing/fuelling and doing the paperwork.

Mart.

Would say about an hour including them washing/fuelling and doing the paperwork.

Mart.

Check this cheek out...

I just tried to book myself into my local Jemca Toyota to get this work done and also needing a courtesy car as some people just can't afford to take half/whole day leave to sort their cars out. Anyway, gave them the details etc and in the end they said there would be a £10 charge for using the courtesy car to 'cover insurance charges'. At which point i pointed out that it is Toyota who is asking for my car back and surely you need to bare that in mind when you want to dip your hands into my wallet... "NO, ITS POLICY", he saids. I asked whether ALL Toyota dealers ask for this £10 cover fee and he said YES. OK... 1 phone call later to another franchise clears up the facts and there is of course no cover fee for using their courtesy car and i duly booked myself in with them.

The punchline is.... JEMCA is SCANDALOUS and this £10 is not much, but for f*** sake its surely waivered under these circumstances and just the principle of the thing.

I shall be taking this up with Toyota UK... The whole thing peeved me off more as the person on the other end of the phone employed the I- DONT- GIVE- A- %$( attitude. But then again i have never had an excellent experience from Jemca considering that they charge more than most anyway.

Anwyay, needed to vent that. :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links