Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recall

T Sport 1978

To make it clear, this is NOT a recall, you will NOT find it on VOSA or AA websites, it is a customer satisfaction campaign and differs hugely from a recall, in that the items concerned are being replaced as a precaution on CERTAIN models within a chassis number range. If you dont get a letter, you are probably NOT affected by it. There are two conditions, firstly the steering column, this is taken from the letter you will receive

it has come to our attention that on certain Auris

models, there is a possibility that vehicles equipped with telescopic steering, the steering column may

drop down from its original position by applying repeated excessive force during steering wheel

adjustment.

Secondly, there is a slight possibility that the left hand drive shaft may not be in spec and may need replacing, again you will be contacted by letter if Toyota think your car will be affected

Kingo :thumbsup:

Apologies, didn't realise there is a difference between recall and a customer satisfaction campaign.

What is the left hand drive shaft? I thought that there is only 1 drive shaft?

Indeed they walk amongst us.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T Sport 1978

• moonstone mart

• Speed_Chaser

• GreyRacer

Received my letter this morning about Steering work. Will ring Mr T Monday to book it in. Will ask them if I need drive-shaft work aswell.

Also, whats the ECU reprogram listed on Toyota service page above? http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/7K1E-0616.pdf

This is a proactive campaign - as said ECU reflash done to cars fitted with AD series engines whenever they are in for any work.

The reflash updates the ECU software, it is to help with clogged/sticking EGR valves.

Mart.

Can you explain the above in simple english please !!

I will but as yours is a 1.6 petrol it doesnt refer to your car at all. It is only the new diesel engine range (1AD,2ADFHV/2ADFTV)

On the diesels the inlet/EGR gets clogged with a build up of soot/carbon deposits. When the EGR valve clogs it begins to operate slowly and this shows a fault (warning light on) and can cause poor running.

The new ECU update (flash) changes the values for the EGR so that it works better/doesnt cause a problem or set the warning light on.

This isnt a safety issue/ big need to panic - just Toyota helping to sort out any future problems :)

Hope this makes a little more sense.

Mart

In even simpler English.EGR valves are a complete pain in the proverbiable.Designed to reduce nitrous oxide amongs other emissions.In truth they constantly clog up with carbon deposits which results in poor operation and the engine management light coming on.

The fix from Toyotas point of view will probably just change the parameters of the EGR to allow a higher tolerance before it logs a fault in the ECU.

Sorry if this appears too cynical but in my experience modern diesels are a complete pain.

I work on Fords Vauxhalls and the usual French junk.They all suffer from major problems from injector faults to fuel pump failures and numerous engine sensor and ECU faults.

Consider yourselves lucky enough to own a Toyota you at least have their reputation for reliability to comfort you.

However my wife drives an Auris 2.0 D4D and I am not sure I would want to keep it past its warranty period.

I have seen too many repair bills for common rail diesels to have too much faith.

Again apologies if my cynicism offends.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links