Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Speed Of A 1.6 Vvt-i

Wicker

the way i think of it mate the 140mph is only there to fill the space on the speedo! most cars are limted these days,

also the 1.8vvtli will beat the 1.4 anyday because it has 95bhp more and it will beat it other cars from lift off. but when at top end speed the 1.4 can keep up with the 1.8 becasue both cars are at top end speed. the 1.8 has so much power and it will reach o to 60 and o to 100 a hell lot quicker!

Oh right, now it makes sense...

Wtf? :rolleyes: Do you fall down a lot?

what do u mean by do i fall down alot?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rez89

• Norfolk n Chance

• superjim42

• butterman

To be fair, I think all manufacturers figures such as top speeds and fuel consumption are a bit overstated and probably rely on optimum conditions. I certainly doubt if the 1.4 can achieve 130mph in the same way that not many people have been able to get up to 140 in the T sport....on the track...obviously :unsure:

Think about it...do you really think that a 1.8 VVTLi engine is only capable of 10mph more than a 1.4 vvti ? :P

the way i think of it mate the 140mph is only there to fill the space on the speedo! most cars are limted these days,

also the 1.8vvtli will beat the 1.4 anyday because it has 95bhp more and it will beat it other cars from lift off. but when at top end speed the 1.4 can keep up with the 1.8 becasue both cars are at top end speed. the 1.8 has so much power and it will reach o to 60 and o to 100 a hell lot quicker!

But the top end speed of the 1.4 is lower than the top end speed of the 1.8....so the 1.4 cannot possibly keep up at the top end?? :huh:

well i dnt no wat the top end speed of a 1.8 is! lol but if the speedo on a 1.8 is 140 its prob that then init? i tried to reach top end speed but it it wouldnt go any more than 130! lol

so, if cars can keep up with each other at 'top end speed', why did Bugatti go to all that hassle instead of just dropping a 1.4 vvti into the Veyron?

Do you know what power output means? eg, each mph top speed increase requires more power than the last since air resistance is proportional to the square of your speed. Hence why a car with 80hp will easily attain 100mph, but you might need 350hp in the same car to get to 200mph.

On the other hand, acceleration is about torque, not power. Hence why some lower-powered diesel cars seem to accelerate faster than you might think- they are likely to have higher torque than similar sized petrols.

so, if cars can keep up with each other at 'top end speed', why did Bugatti go to all that hassle instead of just dropping a 1.4 vvti into the Veyron?

Do you know what power output means? eg, each mph top speed increase requires more power than the last since air resistance is proportional to the square of your speed. Hence why a car with 80hp will easily attain 100mph, but you might need 350hp in the same car to get to 200mph.

On the other hand, acceleration is about torque, not power. Hence why some lower-powered diesel cars seem to accelerate faster than you might think- they are likely to have higher torque than similar sized petrols.

a bugatti has like 200mph top speed, the point that i replied to was the 1.8 and the 1.4 having the same top speed on the speedo but i only reached 130. the 1.8 will get there a hell lot quicker but once the 1.4 has caught up with it, the 1.8 can prob get the max which is 140 and cant do anymore! and the 1.4 can get to 130 so its near enough keeping with it isnt at top end speed?

HI,

The Buggatti has a top speed of 250+ which it can do as done by James May on a VW track in Germany....but more to the point. The official 'top speed' figure for the 1.4 vvti is 115mph.....and as the laws of physics go, an object travelling at 115mph (or even 130mph) will never catch up with an object travelling at 140mph. And gradually the slower object will fall further behind.......simple :thumbsup:

what a poinless thread. v. boring. its not in a scousers nature to tell the truth - its like an afront to them. who really cares how fast a grannies shopping car goes. i've had a car that slow - its just a simple reliable form of transport thats dull to drive and is merely there for function. how embarrasing for TOC that the threads have got this poor. 30 posts and not 1 piece of information.

thread closed!!

Speedo's do not give a true reading as they have a tolerance in them eg 33 on the speedo 30 on GPS to stop you getting done on speed cameras etc. They are also affected by bigger/smaller wheels and typically use a cable which can wear/snap, if a Rolla 1.4 does 130 MPH on GPS then its a true figure, if its on the speedo its not.

1.4 Top Speed 115 MPH 95 BHP

1.8 Top Speed 140 MPH 189 BHP

This goes to show that you need an extra 94 BHP more to do only 25 MPH more, the laws of pyshics very interesting.

Most UK cars are not limited, only the german gentlemans agreement cars are at 155MPH and some other really quick stuff that will blows it tyres up eg Bentley Brooklands.

Dont forget there is nothing to stop the 1.8 going "off the clock" as the speedo wont affect the top speed, only running out of revs will.

what a poinless thread. v. boring. its not in a scousers nature to tell the truth - its like an afront to them. who really cares how fast a grannies shopping car goes. i've had a car that slow - its just a simple reliable form of transport thats dull to drive and is merely there for function. how embarrasing for TOC that the threads have got this poor. 30 posts and not 1 piece of information.

thread closed!!

pssst, you are not admin :P

i used to have a older shape corolla , shape before my t sport, 1.4 vvti gs 3 door and i could hit 115 with ease and would not have been suprised if it could hit middle 120 or even more. this was not downhill and was on a stretch of track 1 mile long.

anyways as shown below, car didnt last very long :(

http://s423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/b...=dazscarlol.jpg

HI,

The Buggatti has a top speed of 250+ which it can do as done by James May on a VW track in Germany....but more to the point. The official 'top speed' figure for the 1.4 vvti is 115mph.....and as the laws of physics go, an object travelling at 115mph (or even 130mph) will never catch up with an object travelling at 140mph. And gradually the slower object will fall further behind.......simple :thumbsup:

i agree like but i dnt like it when people are tryin 2 prove me wrong saying a 1.4 cannot do 130mph when i have done it!!!

i used to have a older shape corolla , shape before my t sport, 1.4 vvti gs 3 door and i could hit 115 with ease and would not have been suprised if it could hit middle 120 or even more. this was not downhill and was on a stretch of track 1 mile long.

anyways as shown below, car didnt last very long :(

http://s423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/b...=dazscarlol.jpg

at last! thank you very much, shame about the car tho! lol

im not saying i actually achieved over 115 bcos had to slow down but it had loads more left, not sure if your rolla is same model as mine too, but they were suprisingly quick for a 1.4

HI,

i agree like but i dnt like it when people are tryin 2 prove me wrong saying a 1.4 cannot do 130mph when i have done it!!!

Cool ;) Sorry...but are you just trying to wind us all up ?

HI,

Cool ;) Sorry...but are you just trying to wind us all up ?

no mate, its that i have achieved 130 and someone is trying to say the car is not capable according to the books! stuff the book! never under estimate the power of Japanese engineering! lol

thread closed!!

ayyy chester boy! what u got against scousers? also i aint a scoucer as i from the other side of the water :lol: i only put liverpool because people will know where abouts i am as this is a world wide forum not a local one!

well if its boring mate, get the hell off it u fool! and if my car is for the grannies then your car must be the grannies shopping trolly as it is ugly as hell! :P

im not saying i actually achieved over 115 bcos had to slow down but it had loads more left, not sure if your rolla is same model as mine too, but they were suprisingly quick for a 1.4

yeh i no what you mean, you would be suprised on how fast a 1.4 can go! lol

thread closed!!

ayyy chester boy! what u got against scousers? also i aint a scoucer as i from the other side of the water :lol: i only put liverpool because people will know where abouts i am as this is a world wide forum not a local one!

well if its boring mate, get the hell off it u fool! and if my car is for the grannies then your car must be the grannies shopping trolly as it is ugly as hell! :P

Don't take it personally.

Mike seems to have a problem with everybody on TOC.

Forums are here for owners to have discussions on their cars not to simply have boring posts quoting facts from handbooks :P

It does beg the question why is Mike still on here tho??

As for 'thread closed' who the hell would appoint you as moderator?? :lol:

thread closed!!

seen - placky scouser. i've been around a bit more than you noobie and watched the decline of threads - thought i would check in and was amazed the threads have further spiralled in to lil boy drivel.

i know - my car is so ugly but at least it will get to 130 and i dont have to ask me mam to borrow it!

Photo-0311.jpg

Photo-0310.jpg

thread closed!!

seen - placky scouser. i've been around a bit more than you noobie and watched the decline of threads - thought i would check in and was amazed the threads have further spiralled in to lil boy drivel.

i know - my car is so ugly but at least it will get to 130 and i dont have to ask me mam to borrow it!

Photo-0311.jpg

Photo-0310.jpg

that aint a AE102!

haha u chester boys make me laff! :lol: were not all like u lot livin off mumy an daddy! i got my own cash an my own car!

my car can aslo get up 2 130! an if i borow my mums car it will get there a hell lot faster (nissan 350z) haha

thread closed!!

Don't take it personally.

Mike seems to have a problem with everybody on TOC.

Forums are here for owners to have discussions on their cars not to simply have boring posts quoting facts from handbooks :P

It does beg the question why is Mike still on here tho??

As for 'thread closed' who the hell would appoint you as moderator?? :lol:

he has got that thing that some chester people have ermmm its called "Bigheaded" :lol:

@ae102

comes to a car forum and complains about ppl talking about cars......well done mate. what should we be posting instead? info on healthy eating? :rolleyes:

whats your daily diet mate? how much calories do you intake daily? and how much do you work out to burn off uneeded calories?

this should be intresting...

thread closed!!

Photo-0311.jpg

Photo-0310.jpg

that aint a AE102!

haha u chester boys make me laff! :lol: were not all like u lot livin off mumy an daddy! i got my own cash an my own car!

my car can aslo get up 2 130! an if i borow my mums car it will get there a hell lot faster (nissan 350z) haha

i'm not a chester lad - i just live here. i was raised in Scotland. my GXi is far better looking than a poxy vvt-i and a bit more exclusive!

if it aint yer mammies it must be a hand me down :lol:

thanks lad - you've brightened up my afternoon. your certainly as daft as a scouser - and no doubt you'll be convinced your right. again another scouse trait, shame you dont have there sense of humour. to put it in words you'll understand............

YOU CANT KID A KIDDER!!!

thread closed!!

Photo-0311.jpg

Photo-0310.jpg

that aint a AE102!

i'm not a chester lad - i just live here. i was raised in Scotland. my GXi is far better looking than a poxy vvt-i and a bit more exclusive!

if it aint yer mammies it must be a hand me down :lol:

thanks lad - you've brightened up my afternoon. your certainly as daft as a scouser - and no doubt you'll be convinced your right. again another scouse trait, shame you dont have there sense of humour. to put it in words you'll understand............

YOU CANT KID A KIDDER!!!

haha u make me laff even more! u scotssmen do like to like lickin your own an asses dnt ya! :lol:

WHY THE F**K have u posted 2 pics of your car for in a msg its jsut a normal standard corolla! my one is much better looking by farrrrrr! an if u think ur box on wheels (gxi) is better lookin than my corolla then get ya eyes testd! :lol:

an i cba reply back 2 any more comments u post lad coz time is money!

This Topic has gone beyond the "normal" Corolla "banter" and is becoming a bit personal with the insults.

If it continues in this style it will be TOAST :blowup:

Please play nicely on the forums.........................you have been warned :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links