Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux Pick Up 1998 2.4td

DenisJ

Into buying this car.

Actually deciding between this one and a mazda b2500 td, 2002, with much more extras on it,

as abs, power windows, aircon, dual airbag, etc. Mazda is not much more expensive.

Hilux is bone stock, with nothing more than power steering and central locking.

Like the hilux, due to it's ruggedness and actually it pulls quite strong for a 90 horses car.

Did not yet test the mazda. (has 93.000 miles)

Both cars are in a mint condition, no rust whatsoever.

Don't need superb offroad performance, just a carriage for offroad bike.

The only thing concerning me in the toyota is the engine, as I don't know much about a 2446 cc turbo diesel,

and it's possible issues. Did read on the turbo misconnected hoses on this forum.

Car doesn't smoke, starts at minus degress with minor preheat in two starter turns, has 108.000 miles and

it's drives and suspension seem intact. I could probably get an extra set of alloys with tires off a land cruiser.

Here are the pics of actual cars

hilux

hilux1

hilux2

hilux3

hilux4

hilux5

hilux6

That is the closest to the engine noise it makes. Notice the squealing at 3-4 seconds in the movie. Can't figure that out but is much diffrent than other diesels.

mazda

b2500-1

b2500-2

b2500-3

b2500-4

thats all I can represent.

Best.

Talked to toyota represantative, checked the VIN number, history being flavless of the particular car.

Also said that all older diesel model (pre D4D) are considered dangerous, meaning head crack can occur on the cast iron head.

Oil should be changed every 5-10k kms, antifreeze and visco clutch fluid also. Nevertheless, head crack can occur.

But this is probably statistical note of greater probability since probably not every single car having 2.4 and 3.0 td engine is prone to this.

Still is a bit chilling to know.

Took a daylight inspection of the car today.

Engine, gears, diffs, dry as pepper.

Only part having a bit of dried up oil, meaning no fresh oil seems to pour out or just in minor quantities is the tube attached right below turbo.

Is that a bigger problem?

9098.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links