Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Poor Mpg

Uncle Tobbler

I've noticed my mpg dropping over the last 12 months. i go upto mid wales most weekends and at best i could get just shy of 50mpg and that 70-80mph dual carriage ways, 60ish on a roads. Its a 200 mile round trip and on a good run and get like i've said just shy of 50mpg, on a bad run 43-47mpg. Round town i'd be getting mid to high 30's. Now i get 33mpg on a run and around town, if i drive in a eco mind i get 33mpg if i drive like a prat i get 33mpg. The car has a full toyota service history its a 2006 56 plate. I had the car in 2007 it had only done 1000 miles in 12 months. I've done 36500 miles since i've had it. I've had new injectors in the engine at 12500 miles, several ecu updates. Since i've had the car i only use shell extra diesel, sometimes shell v-power, i also use toyota injector clearner every 2-3000 miles. My car has started to smoke not every day not all the time but when it does, it puffs out clouds of smoke i'm just thinking maybe the poor mpg and smoking could be connected.

Sorry i've not read all the replies but in your case steve, have you had the egr valve cleaned as this could be your problem? Toyota don't clean it out during a service if my info is correct, why they don't is a mystery to me.

Pete.

Hi pete car goes in next saturday for a new egr valve and intake manifold de-coke. Gald i took out the extended warranty now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSkoO1

• matty2767

• tubaman

• t-spiritpete

It all down to the way you drive it!!

I can easily achieve book figures by driving very carefully.

As soon as you go over 65mph mpg drop exponentially. At 56mph, and driven off turbo, accelerating gently, short shifting and using the overrun to slow down for junctions you can easily achieve book figures. Heavier right foot and speeds over 65mph will dent you figures significantly plain and simple.

You pays your money and takes your choice (with you weight of right foot!!) :-)

Regards

N

I'm doing OK on mpg too. Rarely under 40mpg.

However I will say that these modern engines wont thank you for driving off max torque and low revs. These engines need pressure and heat. They need load too. In fact I find the green shift lights a ticket to drive off max cyclinder pressure and encourage people to accelerate too hard off max torque which isn't good for the turbo and will introduce overfuelling for load.

First thing you will notice is a clogged egr.

Its important to change at least at 2.5k rpm.

And winter fuel to prevent waxing will always give worse MPG regardless of temp.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links