Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Real Life Mpg Figures From Owners

aygo

worryingly in today's Autocar they tested the iQ and said they could not get to 50mpg and their test ended at 35mpg

Not only is the iQ relatively expensive to buy even in base spec, but it’s also likely to prove nothing like as cheap to run as the raw data suggests. Believe the official claims and you’ll think 67.3mpg is possible in restrained driving. It’s not. We had two all but identical iQs at the same time, and even when driven in no great haste and in favourable conditions, neither managed to stretch a gallon of unleaded even 50, let alone 60 miles. We averaged a disappointing 35.2mpg.

from here

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTe...Q-1.0-2/238108/

now i know manufactures figures are over optimistic but this is way off.

any owners got some reports of fuel consumption

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• Billy Aygo

• Goldfish11

• T V O R

Autocar gave a Citroen 2CV (0-30mph in 22 sec, top speed 41mph) a 4.5 star (out of 5) rating. I wouldn't trust Autocar to tell me what year it is.

Autocar slated the CVT box in the review too but if you read their long-term reports they have just ordered an iQ CVT which struck me as odd....... If it was that bad why isn't their long-termer going to be a manual? Doesn't make sense to me.

I also wonder how they drive these things on test. If they drove the iQ hard or ragged it then of course they aren't going to get the mpg but I bet if they drove it like most of us will be driving (ie in a realistic fashion) it might have been a different story.

Autocar slated the CVT box in the review too but if you read their long-term reports they have just ordered an iQ CVT which struck me as odd....... If it was that bad why isn't their long-termer going to be a manual? Doesn't make sense to me.

I also wonder how they drive these things on test. If they drove the iQ hard or ragged it then of course they aren't going to get the mpg but I bet if they drove it like most of us will be driving (ie in a realistic fashion) it might have been a different story.

absolute tosh from Autocar I'm afraid! I've driven one week and the fuel gauge is healthy still......

My trip meter average mpg is 53 at present, but this includes all driving since it left the production line as I dont know how to reset it to zero, so it can start to be a reflection on my style of driving.

From a full tank my first gauge "block" (the top one!) has disappeared at 110miles, whatever that computes to in terms of mpg.

Refilled the tank today to calibrate the Scangauge and the average consumption has worked out at 56mpg.

This is all scuttling about the local area without long runs, and rarely in top gear (although the gear shift indicator is silently screaming at me to change up!)

I am happy with that, as everything is still tight and I am not making any particular effort to be economical.

The inbuilt trip computer average mpg value has reset itself when I refilled the tank.

This is obviously the way it is meant to work as it can't be reset in any other way.

I wonder how it does that?Anyone got an idea?

The inbuilt trip computer average mpg value has reset itself when I refilled the tank.

This is obviously the way it is meant to work as it can't be reset in any other way.

My 56 reg Yaris does this.......................Clever isn't it?...............not sure how it does it :unsure:

Refilled the tank today to calibrate the Scangauge and the average consumption has worked out at 56mpg.

This is all scuttling about the local area without long runs, and rarely in top gear (although the gear shift indicator is silently screaming at me to change up!)

I am happy with that, as everything is still tight and I am not making any particular effort to be economical.

Hi ya johnan - of course your are manual, any automatics ( multidrive ) got consumption figures ?

As soon as I read Autocar this happened...

sleepy.jpg

Seriously, ignore it. You will get up to 50mpg. The iQ is one super car :thumbsup:

Message to Autocar:

Elbow.jpg

:lol:

As soon as I read Autocar this happened...

sleepy.jpg

Seriously, ignore it. You will get up to 50mpg. The iQ is one super car :thumbsup:

Message to Autocar:

Elbow.jpg

:lol:

PMSL..........Some overpaid Journo has probably been given an iQ to rag round for a week and passed it onto the can lad for testing, "Here.......give this ikkle iQ a thrash round for a week minnion.....I'm far too important to drive a small thing like that"

Kingo :thumbsup:

It’s not the best magazine to read that’s for sure. In fact I think the mods should put the word Autocar in the swear filter :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After it's first weeks use and 305 miles under its belt, the wife's IQ manual has done 53mpg that is a good cross section of driving. Almost as good as my Yaris d4d, not as good as her old car which she traded in, an 02 yaris d4d

According to my Scangauge, which has only been calibrated by two refills and therefore could still be slightly inaccurate, I am getting about 60-63mpg running about our local area.

The inbuilt trip computer will not register instantaneous mpg figures of more than 60mpg which will cause the average mpg displayed to be artificially low, as cars on the overrun or going downhill without accelerating will actually have an mpg figure in the hundreds.

The average mpg displayed on the trip computer is 53.8mpg whereas the Scangauge gives the reading above.

Well mine is below... :(

45.3mpg

Not happy but i guess being stuck in traffic for at least 10 mins every morning and evening to and from work doesnt help, with all the stopping and starting?

Will see if it improves but its still better than my old car which is a good thing at least!

Well mine is below... :(

45.3mpg

Not happy but i guess being stuck in traffic for at least 10 mins every morning and evening to and from work doesnt help, with all the stopping and starting?

Will see if it improves but its still better than my old car which is a good thing at least!

That would do it, as there no traffic jams here (at least nowhere that I go to) so the car is rarely stopped except for occasional lights.

The speedo/odometer also reads a bit high which gives a slightly higher than realistic mpg figure.

worryingly in today's Autocar they tested the iQ and said they could not get to 50mpg and their test ended at 35mpg
Not only is the iQ relatively expensive to buy even in base spec, but it’s also likely to prove nothing like as cheap to run as the raw data suggests. Believe the official claims and you’ll think 67.3mpg is possible in restrained driving. It’s not. We had two all but identical iQs at the same time, and even when driven in no great haste and in favourable conditions, neither managed to stretch a gallon of unleaded even 50, let alone 60 miles. We averaged a disappointing 35.2mpg.

from here

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTe...Q-1.0-2/238108/

now i know manufactures figures are over optimistic but this is way off.

any owners got some reports of fuel consumption

well there will be more IQs on the road tomorow, lets see what happens then with people reporting on miliage

got mine today done 160 odd miles and its on 53mpg I did expect more, at around 60 mph in 5th its doing about 55 mpg so how they can quote 72 mpg is beyond me.

On my iQ (only 50-odd miles so far) the mpg meter (in avg mode) is showing 60.0. Oddly, though, in instantaneous mode, it never exceeds 60.0. On the Yaris I used to drive it would often show 99.9 when going downhill. That's what I'd expect here too.

My dealer's theory is that it needs a significant mileage before it will show accurate displays. I can see that for the average figure but the instantaneous ought to be right from the get-go. Shouldn't it?

Anyone any thoughts?

On my iQ (only 50-odd miles so far) the mpg meter (in avg mode) is showing 60.0. Oddly, though, in instantaneous mode, it never exceeds 60.0. On the Yaris I used to drive it would often show 99.9 when going downhill. That's what I'd expect here too.

My dealer's theory is that it needs a significant mileage before it will show accurate displays. I can see that for the average figure but the instantaneous ought to be right from the get-go. Shouldn't it?

Anyone any thoughts?

Yes, I have mentioned this before, that the instantaneous mpg figure will not read above 60.0mpg.

I asked my dealer to check it and he said their demo car was the same.

This means in effect the displayed average mpg figures will be lower than they actually are.

I have found my inbuilt computer average mpg figure is usually around the 53mpg mark while my Scangauge reports nearer to 60mpg and above, as the Scangauge does compute overrun mpg figures in the hundreds which is more realistic, rather than cutting off at 60.0mpg.

I have found too that although the speedo reads high, as they always do, the trip odometer (on my car anyway) is very accurate according to gps signals.

Anyone any thoughts?

Yes, I have mentioned this before, that the instantaneous mpg figure will not read above 60.0mpg.

I asked my dealer to check it and he said their demo car was the same.

This means in effect the displayed average mpg figures will be lower than they actually are.

I have found my inbuilt computer average mpg figure is usually around the 53mpg mark while my Scangauge reports nearer to 60mpg and above, as the Scangauge does compute overrun mpg figures in the hundreds which is more realistic, rather than cutting off at 60.0mpg.

I have found too that although the speedo reads high, as they always do, the trip odometer (on my car anyway) is very accurate according to gps signals.

Just done another refill, and the average is now about 54mpg...I must have been driving very carefully before to get those higher figures!

The iQ is having the new 1.33 engine with the Stop/Start technology which is in the new Auris and Yaris later in the year, along with a 6 speed box. That will boost the mpg :thumbsup:

Bugger, you tell me this now!!! Hmm wonder if I could get a trade in lol

I am not too anal about mpg as I want to enjoy driving the thing but average over my 260miles is 53 which seems to mirror most peoples on here.

Ive done 1800 miles now.

Mostly to work and back - 31 miles each way - with about 5-10 mins each day in standing traffic.

I must admit I do try to stick between 60-65 on the A90 between Dundee and Brechin as im only on it for 24 miles, going at 70 makes very litte difference to the journey time.

So what am I getting.

Mostly I am about 53 mpg but there have been times when I have refueled in Dundee to come home and got home with the reading on 60mgg.

Got to watch that though. The A90 is much more econnomical to drive on going home than going to Dundee.

I had (for my sins) a laguna estate before - diesel. And in the summer I got much better MPG.

I could get 42 in the summer and 37 in winter. So dont know if the weather has much impact.

All that said. Getting 53 min on Petrol is great. Cost less than deisel.

Cheers

John

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links