Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gear Box

kct1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norfolk n Chance

• Parts-King

• kct1

• Rolla_SR

Back to the topic, if you were to get an extended warranty its best to get it with the manufacturer in this case Toyota, as they do offer peice of mind! B) :D ;)

yes, get back on topic lady Gaz :D:

The Toyota extended warranties, whilst more expensive offer superb parts coverage. The trouble with MOST extended warranties is that they are insurance backed and only cover parts that are covered specifically on the warranty, they also need to "Fail-Suddenly stop working" if something just wears out, you will end up NOT covered. Toyota's extended warranty is an extension of the original warranty and covers far more than any internet warranty seller

Kingo :thumbsup:

Back to the topic, if you were to get an extended warranty its best to get it with the manufacturer in this case Toyota, as they do offer peice of mind! B) :D ;)

All these insults... where's a mod when you need one??

:lol:

As I said in an earlier post, there is no such thing as trouble free motoring whatever car you buy - except that Toyota advertise their trouble free motoring as a fact. My groan was about the gear box having only gone through 30,000 miles of motoring in 7 years, so hardly run-in as they say. Most guys and gals do 30,000 miles and more in a year, so if the gear box failed at 60,000 miles within the warranty time scale, Toyota would honour their warranty and replace it FOC. Where I live, it is hard to drive more than 10,000 miles a year at the most, and it's more likely to be 4,000 miles per year for the majority of us, so warranties are something of a misnomer here on the Island in my view. Some research on the Internet has thrown some light on this problem and it seems I am not alone in experiencing it with Toyota Corrola gear boxes of this model. The culprit is the bearing, which is patently obvious not up to the job it was intended for. I might not get any joy from Toyota, but I will make a nuisance of myself trying that's for sure. Thanks for listening guys, and for your welcome replies. It makes me feel a whole lot better just to discuss it with people.

Regards...Keith

As I said in an earlier post, there is no such thing as trouble free motoring whatever car you buy - except that Toyota advertise their trouble free motoring as a fact. My groan was about the gear box having only gone through 30,000 miles of motoring in 7 years, so hardly run-in as they say. Most guys and gals do 30,000 miles and more in a year, so if the gear box failed at 60,000 miles within the warranty time scale, Toyota would honour their warranty and replace it FOC. Where I live, it is hard to drive more than 10,000 miles a year at the most, and it's more likely to be 4,000 miles per year for the majority of us, so warranties are something of a misnomer here on the Island in my view. Some research on the Internet has thrown some light on this problem and it seems I am not alone in experiencing it with Toyota Corrola gear boxes of this model. The culprit is the bearing, which is patently obvious not up to the job it was intended for. I might not get any joy from Toyota, but I will make a nuisance of myself trying that's for sure. Thanks for listening guys, and for your welcome replies. It makes me feel a whole lot better just to discuss it with people.

Regards...Keith

tbh i'm surprised Toyota haven't made a "gesture of goodwill"... in the current climate you'd think the last thing they would want is bad press....

tbh i'm surprised Toyota haven't made a "gesture of goodwill"... in the current climate you'd think the last thing they would want is bad press....

They most likely would UP to 5 years, but not after 7, regardless of mileage, times are hard and the Toyota customer service desk will have had cutbacks just like everybody else

I would have thought the dealer might have contributed, as he was the one who didnt do anything about it when he could have! I would be rattling his door TBH

All these insults... where's a mod when you need one??

hopefully busy taking some guy in Zanzibars (Is that a place??) post to sell dodgy phones off the forum!

Who let you in the Corolla section? :boxing:

wots that gobbledegook in yer signature? Is that swearing allowed on the Corolla section? If so, then its the last time I'll come along. I'll send ma pal instead!

Who let you in the Corolla section? :boxing:

wots that gobbledegook in yer signature? Is that swearing allowed on the Corolla section? If so, then its the last time I'll come along. I'll send ma pal instead!

The gobbledegook says "Corolla Sports" in Japanese and links to my Cardomain page ;)

:ban: Bothy & Parts King for offending the Japanese by branding their written language "gobbledegook"

:P :lol:

Thanks for your reply folks. Whilst I would agree with the remarks about the car being out of warranty etc, the fact that it has only just done 30k and fully serviced - and lately MOT'd - is what rubs the most. You would expect a gear box to last a lot longer than 30k and should at least go round the clock once. I have been driving for 40 odd years and never had a gear box go on me before, even from the crappy cars that I have had from British Leyland. It isn't just the gear box, but the attitude of both manufacturer and dealer when you tell them you're not happy with the situation. In my opinion, the reason we Brits pay more for our goods than people do in Europe is because we are more tollerant about putting up with this kind of thing. I paid £10,500 for a car that is now seriously sick after 30k miles. It doesn't seem right to me somehow. Sorry for the moan, but this was the nearest place I could get it off my chest. Yes! I will have to pay for it to be repaired. No! I don't have to give them any more of my money next time I buy a car, even if German car manufacturers are the same as Japanese manufacturers. But hey, thanks for listening and taking the time to reply.

Yeah I see its not all good when the dealership don't fight your conrner, when you buy a car from them you expect a good return of service etc, and with the clutch doing just 30k, well thats just no good really. My father has done 120,000 on his Nissan Almera and he is still on the original clutch even though there are plastic bits on it that seem to be rather brittle and snapping off in its old age :D

I got 200500 (yes ! Two hundred thousand +five hundred miles )out of the clutch on my Renault Kangoo. Vehicle for work, mine from new & serviced by the Main Dealer, always, within 100 miles of due mileage :yahoo:

My Corolla Executive (Pic IN Sig) 91 vintage, has over 130,000 up & no worries, touch wood :unsure:

I sent another reply to Toyota today. I will update the thread when I get a reply from them. If they offered to pay for the gear box to be repaired with provision I paid for the labour it would have been a step in the right direction of public relations. The labour costs will probably be the greater part of the overall cost anyway. All they have done is lose me as a future customer. I know I am only one in millions, but lost profit from just one vehicle, has to be many times greater than the cost of a repaired gear box. Oh well, there's nought as daft as folk is there?

Regards...Keith

I sent another reply to Toyota today. I will update the thread when I get a reply from them. If they offered to pay for the gear box to be repaired with provision I paid for the labour it would have been a step in the right direction of public relations. The labour costs will probably be the greater part of the overall cost anyway. All they have done is lose me as a future customer. I know I am only one in millions, but lost profit from just one vehicle, has to be many times greater than the cost of a repaired gear box. Oh well, there's nought as daft as folk is there?

Regards...Keith

where did u complain to about this?? i want to complain because they never helped me one bit at all and it cost me £530!! for a second gear box and clutch with fitting!

every car company has problems with certain parts

i have owned the following and had problems with all

2 x mk4 astra GSI turbo's

2 x mk4 golf GT TDI's

1 x vectra GSI V6

2 x zetec-s fiestas

and the german car thing is defo a myth

all jap cars have a rep for good engines but you always get a lemmon from time to time

my mate just forked out £30k on a brand new evo 10 and he is fighting tooth and nail with mitsi over an issue with the car bruning clutch in reverse

their solution is to keep putting a new clutch in it every 3k miles :huh:

i am looking to have a t-sport on my driveway at the start of next week to replace a nightmare fiesta zetec-s tdci so lets hope there is no issue with its gearbox :D

Regards...Keith

where did u complain to about this?? i want to complain because they never helped me one bit at all and it cost me £530!! for a second gear box and clutch with fitting!

Hi matey (Rez89). I wrote to Customer Relations. Address below. Feel free to quote my problem to them when you tell them about yours. The more moans the better in my opinion.

For the attention of:

Gemma Davis

Customer Relations Executive

Toyota (GB) PLC

Great Burgh,

Burgh Heath,

Epsom

Surrey

KT18 5UX

Thanks again chaps. Well, I received a long letter from Customer Relations this morning. In truth, the dear lady who wrote the letter could have said everything in two words (I'll leave those words to your imagination). I will be having the job done without their help because I have to, but I will continue to find out what Statutory rights I have in the mean time. Thankfully, I can afford the repair, although I must admit it hurts after such a low mileage to have to part with another shed-load of money for something that should have lasted the lifetime of the car.

After this affair I will take out extra warranty cover from Warranty Direct and then look around for a new/nearly new VW Golf. Loyalty has to work both ways in my opinion and this has led me to believe my loyalty to Toyota and the Isle of Wight dealer was very much misplaced.

I guess it's a lesson to everyone buying into any make of car; there is no such thing as trouble-free motoring and loyalty between manufacturer/dealer and customer sucks.

cheers...Keith

German cars aren't all that.

As much as this does pain me to say this, *whisper so that Toyota can't hear* Korean cars are currently the most reliable cars out there!

Maybe something like an i30 petrol turbo?

Here's a link to another forum about Toyota gear boxes:

url="http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?t=22206"]http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?t=22206

You live and learn don't you?

Hardly an enlightening thread, it started 5 years ago and bumbles around Ford, Hyundai, Citroen gearboxes that also have problems.

The only gearboxes that Toyota have had real problems with are the RAV 4.1 jumping out of fifth (caused by owners leaving their hand on the gearstick when driving) and Avensis gearbox bearing failure

Yes the above chap has had a problem with his gearbox, but it hasnt stuck in gear, jumped out of gear, fallen over or broken down, it has a noise that requires a strip down to find out the exact problem. Corolla gearboxes do not suffer the same problems as above. MOST other gearbox problems (sticky gears, cant get into gear etc are usually clutch problems and NOT a fault with the gearbox)

There are plenty of manufacturers out there who have far worse gearboxes than Toyota, not that it will make our oringinal poster feel any better. I wouldnt be taking too much notice of the Honest John thread either, one poster said the EP gear oil was it's "Slipperiness" and another says it costs hardly anything to air freight in from Japan, all I can say is let me have your air carrier, I post all over the world and somebody in Australia wants some parts off me, which are going to cost a minimum of £125 to send, nuff said!

Yes the above chap has had a problem with his gearbox, but it

but it......

Don't keep us in suspense!! :lol:

Yes the above chap has had a problem with his gearbox, but it

but it......

Don't keep us in suspense!! :lol:

Completed now, hit the wrong button when ranting :lol:

Here's a link to another forum about Toyota gear boxes:

url="http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?t=22206"]http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?t=22206

You live and learn don't you?

Hardly an enlightening thread, it started 5 years ago and bumbles around Ford, Hyundai, Citroen gearboxes that also have problems.

The only gearboxes that Toyota have had real problems with are the RAV 4.1 jumping out of fifth (caused by owners leaving their hand on the gearstick when driving) and Avensis gearbox bearing failure

Yes the above chap has had a problem with his gearbox, but it hasnt stuck in gear, jumped out of gear, fallen over or broken down, it has a noise that requires a strip down to find out the exact problem. Corolla gearboxes do not suffer the same problems as above. MOST other gearbox problems (sticky gears, cant get into gear etc are usually clutch problems and NOT a fault with the gearbox)

There are plenty of manufacturers out there who have far worse gearboxes than Toyota, not that it will make our oringinal poster feel any better. I wouldnt be taking too much notice of the Honest John thread either, one poster said the EP gear oil was it's "Slipperiness" and another says it costs hardly anything to air freight in from Japan, all I can say is let me have your air carrier, I post all over the world and somebody in Australia wants some parts off me, which are going to cost a minimum of £125 to send, nuff said!

Parts-King, you make me feel so happy... :( :rolleyes:

I'm so glad ;)

I can just see the news headlines next month.....

"Irate Gang from Isle of Wight Sabotage North West England & Wales's Pie Deliveries"

....fragments of steel cogs were found in numerous pies delivered to stores throughout the North of England and Wales.......tests on where the steel originated from are inconclusive said a local Car manufacturer spokesperson"

:lol: :lol:

Local consumer group said they didn't think it had any ballbearing on dis-satisfaction with vehicle standards.

fragments of steel cogs were found in numerous pies delivered to stores throughout the North of England and Wales.......
pmsl

This thread is going off topic with randon gobbledegookness thrown in for good measure, cogs, pies, whippets and tripe are the staple diet of any North Westerner worth his mettle or is that metal :D: :eat:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links