Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Gear Box

kct1

Please forgive the double post, but I put this in the general section and it may have been better here:

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but thought I would air my disatisfaction with Toyota UK right here.

Now, I know I have had my Corolla 1.6 5 door for 5 years, and it is coming up 7 years old, but living on the Isle of Wight means mileage is only around 4k a year. I purchased my model with only 3700 miles on the clock and it has now just tipped the 30k mark and well looked after. From around 29,500 miles I began to get a weird over noise coming from the gear box and this persisted to a clicking noise in 4th and 5th gear. This has now been diagnosed as a gear box problem and possibly a bearing. I contacted my dealer who confirmed this via driving and listening to the vehicle but not via any strip down. I also had another garage confirm this the same way.

Toyota UK does not want to know about it as it is outside the warranty and the dealer just shrugs it off as bad luck. It is obvious that Toyota UK have little regard for customer care outside their legal warranty and so it seems I am left to pay for the repair myself. Do I feel sick? You know the answer to that one.

This has left me feeling let down by the myth of Toyota quality and trouble free motoring, which is what Toyota have built their reputation on in the UK at least. Perhaps it is time for a change and maybe away from Japanese cars. I will definitely be considering a VW the next time I'm ready to buy - and that could well be sooner than later I think.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Regards...Keith

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norfolk n Chance

• Parts-King

• kct1

• Rolla_SR

Hi Keith,

These are my comments on this: the car is 4yrs out of warranty i wouldn’t expect anything from the manufacturer. Does the car have a full Toyota Service History? If no why should they help you? If yes ask again and see if there is any chance of a gesture of goodwill. As far as other manufacturers go they are highly unlikely to behave any differently especially a German one.

Please forgive the double post, but I put this in the general section and it may have been better here:

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, but thought I would air my disatisfaction with Toyota UK right here.

Now, I know I have had my Corolla 1.6 5 door for 5 years, and it is coming up 7 years old, but living on the Isle of Wight means mileage is only around 4k a year. I purchased my model with only 3700 miles on the clock and it has now just tipped the 30k mark and well looked after. From around 29,500 miles I began to get a weird over noise coming from the gear box and this persisted to a clicking noise in 4th and 5th gear. This has now been diagnosed as a gear box problem and possibly a bearing. I contacted my dealer who confirmed this via driving and listening to the vehicle but not via any strip down. I also had another garage confirm this the same way.

Toyota UK does not want to know about it as it is outside the warranty and the dealer just shrugs it off as bad luck. It is obvious that Toyota UK have little regard for customer care outside their legal warranty and so it seems I am left to pay for the repair myself. Do I feel sick? You know the answer to that one.

This has left me feeling let down by the myth of Toyota quality and trouble free motoring, which is what Toyota have built their reputation on in the UK at least. Perhaps it is time for a change and maybe away from Japanese cars. I will definitely be considering a VW the next time I'm ready to buy - and that could well be sooner than later I think.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Regards...Keith

i have experinced the same problem as you and i had to replace my gear box as it seized!!

at the moment i cant afford to buy a new car but when i buy my next car its going to be a german one like my previous vw golf!

german cars are not trouble free, you do have some up and downs here and there but i feel more comfortable and stable with one because they are built to high standards!

and as for toyota delears they are :censor: they will only help you if u have a new car and dont care about the people who have older cars!

Its easy to bad mouth a brand like 'Toyota' and yes in some aspects you may be right in what you say, but I have found Toyota a good brand over the years (i have had an Aygo and two 2nd hand Corollas) and each time whether new or used car i have recieved the same high quality service. I had a fuel injector replaced on my current corolla as it was covered under warranty.

To be fair like previously said if you took a car back to a manufacturer after 4 years after the warranty expires, they are not going to want to know unless you take out extended warranty, i mean my car is getting an extra 3 years as i think the warranty offered by toyota gives its customers a great peice of mind!

Just such a shame you have been left with such a bitter feeling towards what is a good brand.

Regards,

Miles

Thanks for your reply folks. Whilst I would agree with the remarks about the car being out of warranty etc, the fact that it has only just done 30k and fully serviced - and lately MOT'd - is what rubs the most. You would expect a gear box to last a lot longer than 30k and should at least go round the clock once. I have been driving for 40 odd years and never had a gear box go on me before, even from the crappy cars that I have had from British Leyland. It isn't just the gear box, but the attitude of both manufacturer and dealer when you tell them you're not happy with the situation. In my opinion, the reason we Brits pay more for our goods than people do in Europe is because we are more tollerant about putting up with this kind of thing. I paid £10,500 for a car that is now seriously sick after 30k miles. It doesn't seem right to me somehow. Sorry for the moan, but this was the nearest place I could get it off my chest. Yes! I will have to pay for it to be repaired. No! I don't have to give them any more of my money next time I buy a car, even if German car manufacturers are the same as Japanese manufacturers. But hey, thanks for listening and taking the time to reply.

Thanks for your reply folks. Whilst I would agree with the remarks about the car being out of warranty etc, the fact that it has only just done 30k and fully serviced - and lately MOT'd - is what rubs the most. You would expect a gear box to last a lot longer than 30k and should at least go round the clock once. I have been driving for 40 odd years and never had a gear box go on me before, even from the crappy cars that I have had from British Leyland. It isn't just the gear box, but the attitude of both manufacturer and dealer when you tell them you're not happy with the situation. In my opinion, the reason we Brits pay more for our goods than people do in Europe is because we are more tollerant about putting up with this kind of thing. I paid £10,500 for a car that is now seriously sick after 30k miles. It doesn't seem right to me somehow. Sorry for the moan, but this was the nearest place I could get it off my chest. Yes! I will have to pay for it to be repaired. No! I don't have to give them any more of my money next time I buy a car, even if German car manufacturers are the same as Japanese manufacturers. But hey, thanks for listening and taking the time to reply.

my gear box went on 54k miles! but i was speaking to some other guy on here and his gear box went after 5000miles! so hope this makes u feel better!

also i totally agree that a gear box should at least last once around the clock!!!

if you are after a gear box go on www.1stchoice.co.uk

you can pick up some bargains there!

i also checked on the net that the gear box failure on a corolla 1.4 and 1.6 is a common fault which has occured to many people!

Yeah I see its not all good when the dealership don't fight your conrner, when you buy a car from them you expect a good return of service etc, and with the clutch doing just 30k, well thats just no good really. My father has done 120,000 on his Nissan Almera and he is still on the original clutch even though there are plastic bits on it that seem to be rather brittle and snapping off in its old age :D

Yeah I see its not all good when the dealership don't fight your conrner, when you buy a car from them you expect a good return of service etc, and with the clutch doing just 30k, well thats just no good really. My father has done 120,000 on his Nissan Almera and he is still on the original clutch even though there are plastic bits on it that seem to be rather brittle and snapping off in its old age :D

my mate has a honda accord T reg, 185000 on the clock! one gear box,clutch and engine! what a car!

my mate has a honda accord T reg, 185000 on the clock! one gear box,clutch and engine! what a car!

The H word, taboo :lol: but yes jap cars are generally really good in that sense!

Toyota quality is a myth I think. Iv had a Renault and Ford and id go with the ford again any day. Its not that they are any better built, prob about the same if you ask me. It just when they do go wrong they dont cost you the earth to fix. Anything other than brake bad etc and Toyota part prices are ridiculous.

180000k mondeo, 1 clutch, 2 shocks. No other issues, going strong, good for 200000 easy, its so good in fact im thinking of getting myself a 2.5 cougar

if its any consolation my gearbox with repaired under warranty and then the same fault reoccured but toyota said they had done the repair and couldn,t do anymore.i rang customer services and was told if they had allready done the repair and the vehicle wasn,t going to break done and was still reliable then the fault doesn,t need rectification .i did point out that had they informed me i would have had a problem with 3rd gear crunching when buying the car that this was a charachter of that gearbox i may have thought twice about the purchase .

Thanks again chaps. Well, I received a long letter from Customer Relations this morning. In truth, the dear lady who wrote the letter could have said everything in two words (I'll leave those words to your imagination). I will be having the job done without their help because I have to, but I will continue to find out what Statutory rights I have in the mean time. Thankfully, I can afford the repair, although I must admit it hurts after such a low mileage to have to part with another shed-load of money for something that should have lasted the lifetime of the car.

After this affair I will take out extra warranty cover from Warranty Direct and then look around for a new/nearly new VW Golf. Loyalty has to work both ways in my opinion and this has led me to believe my loyalty to Toyota and the Isle of Wight dealer was very much misplaced.

I guess it's a lesson to everyone buying into any make of car; there is no such thing as trouble-free motoring and loyalty between manufacturer/dealer and customer sucks.

cheers...Keith

good luck buying a german car, i have a mate who works for the RAC and the cars he gets called out to the most are, BMW a good reliable GERMAN car????????

After this affair I will take out extra warranty cover from Warranty Direct

You know how to waste money :eek:

Read the small print and check what IS and Is'nt covered before you chuck a lump of money in there direction. Better to stick the money in the bank then if you dont need to use it, go and get bloatered on a good holiday with the cash, IMHO, OR get a Toyota warranty which will actually cover parts

I hear where you are coming from with the gearbox problem but at 7 years of age I think you already knew the asnswer you would get. NO manufacturer, Jap, German, French or otherwise would pay out on a 7 year old car

Kingo :thumbsup:

After this affair I will take out extra warranty cover from Warranty Direct

You know how to waste money :eek:

Read the small print and check what IS and Is'nt covered before you chuck a lump of money in there direction. Better to stick the money in the bank then if you dont need to use it, go and get bloatered on a good holiday with the cash, IMHO, OR get a Toyota warranty which will actually cover parts

I hear where you are coming from with the gearbox problem but at 7 years of age I think you already knew the asnswer you would get. NO manufacturer, Jap, German, French or otherwise would pay out on a 7 year old car

Kingo :thumbsup:

Kia would! :P :lol:

Ahh but would they? Their warranty is not cut and dried either, my mate works for them :rolleyes:

Ahh but would they? Their warranty is not cut and dried either, my mate works for them :rolleyes:

Having never owned or going to own a Kia i guess i will never know! :lol:

Having never owned or going to own a Kia i guess i will never know! :lol:

This has now gone completly :offtopic: Consider yerself told :lol:

Well you started it by mentioning other manufacturers warranties!! :P

:lol:

I didnt mention other manufacturers, somebody else did.....are you arguing? if you are you need to be in a different thread, the one that says there isnt enough arguing these days :!Removed!: :D:

I didnt mention other manufacturers, somebody else did.....are you arguing? if you are you need to be in a different thread, the one that says there isnt enough arguing these days :shutit: :D:

You starting? :boxing:

I didnt mention other manufacturers, somebody else did.....are you arguing? if you are you need to be in a different thread, the one that says there isnt enough arguing these days :!Removed!: :D:

Ladies (Gaz) and Gentlemen (Kingo) come on we are one big happy Corolla family :group-cuddles: here now need for head bashing :bash:

Back to the topic, if you were to get an extended warranty its best to get it with the manufacturer in this case Toyota, as they do offer peice of mind! B) :D ;)

I didnt mention other manufacturers, somebody else did.....are you arguing? if you are you need to be in a different thread, the one that says there isnt enough arguing these days :shutit: :D:

Ladies (Gaz) and Gentlemen (Kingo) come on we are one big happy Corolla family :group-cuddles: here now need for head bashing :bash:

Back to the topic, if you were to get an extended warranty its best to get it with the manufacturer in this case Toyota, as they do offer peice of mind! B) :D ;)

I find your reference to me as a "lady" quite offensive.... get back to yer :boat: :P :lol:

I'm so sorry Gaz... :oops: I don't know how im going to sleep at night, please forgive me :arrgg-matey: maybe i will :lol:

I posted in the General Discussions then some guy widnae allow me to retort tae his comment so here it is copied over...

QUOTE (bothwell_buyer @ Feb 23 2009, 11:36 PM) *

My daughters got a VW Polo which is low mileage and has endless problems.

My father has a 2004 Fiat Punto 3 door, done only 24,000 miles in the 4 years. Its had 4 clutches - the clutch plate is the size of a very small saucer. The 5th gear went missing and changing from 2nd to 3rd or 4th was an adventure. We had to put another gearbox in. Fiat coughed up absolutely nothing.

My RAV4 bought in 1994 is still going strong albeit I got rid of the crap Toyota front brake calipers; and the 3SFE engine had seized.

I bought a landrover a year ago and since then have managed only 120 miles in it. Its been in the garage since last August.

My other daughter bought a Peugeot 307 new - and since then she's had endless and continuing problems with the brakes - pedal going hard as if the servo has packed up...and she's not the only one having this problem. She's going to trade it in rather than put up any longer.

I could give you a string of stories about all the Fords I have had.

My Renault minibus couldn't get seen by any Renault dealers nearby cos none of them could accommodate a high top van.

There we are - just yer luck so it seems ?

Bothwell_buyer"

Thread repeated in Corolla section.

Bothwell explains his previous car issues in PERFECT english!! Are you bi-polar? tongue.gif

Bi-polar ? No. It is in direct proportion to the amount and strength of whisky I take. I'm on 63 proof cask strength stuff just now :lol: Well, I was recently!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links