Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg For The 2.2 Diesel?

morepower

We are looking at getting a newer car and want to know what people are getting per gallon out of the 2.2 engine. I did a search but there seems to be a big mix of petrol and Diesel figures OR people are getting vast differences per gallon. Our options are now down to the Rav4 and the new shape CRV. So we are trying to get real world info not the claimed figures to help us find our next car..

Thanks for you help..

Welcome to the club.

Mine is doing around 40mpg on mainly short trips. It did mid 30s during the very cold weather on short trips but does about 45 on a long trip but at about 75 - 80mph.

Hi and welcome.......

like any vehicle, the mpg will vary according to the use you make of it. As anchs says, the difference between short and long journey use, then of course how you drive and what weights are in the car all have an effect.

I'd guess, if you are that concerned about mpg on a diesel then you intend doing large mileages? In that case, then the cost of maintenance starts to come into the equation as well as reliability, and re-sale values.

Same as Anchorman, 40mpg give or take the odd one for tootling about. 28mpg towing the caravan (1500kg) which isn't too bad either. :)

I got 33MPG on LHs chipped 2.2 :blush: but I drove it fairly rapidly and in a similar way that I normally drive my 2.0 VVTi Petrol when I get 25MPG.

Depends on how lead-footed you are :oops:

I got 33MPG on LHs chipped 2.2 :blush: but I drove it fairly rapidly and in a similar way that I normally drive my 2.0 VVTi Petrol when I get 25MPG.

Depends on how lead-footed you are :oops:

You can be excused for this (LH might not think so!) as you have to get used to "lugging" down near the bottom of the rev range.

I think I also forgot sometimes to move to 6th gear :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have a 2.2D4-D XT5. It's just coming up to it's first birthday. Living in West Yorkshire is less than ideal for fuel consumption as there is very little flat road ( Hoovie also suffers the same problem where he lives! ) Over the first 8252 miles I averaged 41.8 MPG measured by the "full tank-to-full tank" method. This included a few trips to Dundee and back and one to Switzerland and return. As I've said before on this forum, I filled the car just north of Bradford and drove to Hull, then ferry to Rotterdam, then mostly motorway down to the Black Forrest. Some 60 miles of side roads then the last bit by motorway. On my second day in Switzerland I filled the car up for the FIRST TIME since leaving home and averaged 51.51 MPG for the tankfull. I do try and drive economically and use cruise control set to between 65 and 70 on motorways where I can. One thing to watch is the On Board Computer fuel consumption indication - from my experience, and I do have all the data, it registers optomistically by about 13%!

I can endorse what Three5 says about the onboard computer. I was feeling really chuffed at seeing 47mpg avg. on my commutes to and from work which is mainly motorway, but on fill to fill calculations its coming out at about 40 - 41MPG.

If Anchorman is correct about cold weather affecting the mpg, I'm looking forward to seeing it rise to around 45 (if we get any warm weather)

Owned mine for about 6 weeks now and loving every minute of it. IMHO go for the RAV, you won't be disapointed

Rich

RAV4 XTR 2.2 D-4D

8435 miles from new over last 8 months. Daily commute 15 miles each way along country lanes with short stretch of dual carriageway, some 200 mile trips on A roads and motorways and quite a bit of local pottering around.

Calculated average across the 8 months - 42.2mpg.

Anything below about 6 degrees has a considerable negative effect and OBC optimistic by about 10-15% [seems to be more accurate in cold weather strangely]

Hope that helps.

See graph on signature. Driving pattern is mostly 50/50 split of motorway and urban/congestion.

Blue line = trip.

Red line = calculated.

calc'ed "spikey", because I tend to round to nearest £ after the pump trips, but averaging over a few samples is quite powerful and sorts that out.

Blue dotted line = trip "rolling" average

Red dotted line = calculated "rolling" average

seasonal variation about 3 mpg.

Overall average shown below. I try to drive with a very light right foot.

Best calc'ed = 49.3 mpg. Long 470 mile run, fully laden, heavy rain. I expect to do better in good weather.

Worst = 41.0 mpg. Tank fill used in recent snow, crawling behind people with no grip, when I had loads. :)

Confirmed geek, but awaiting aspergers diagnosis. Anybody got a train timetable I can memorise? :unsure:

I can now join in having just filled up for the second time after owning the car for a whole ten days :D

I just managed to get to 40mpg but hey it only has 389 miles on the clock, I hope it will get a bit better over time :unsure:

Guy

(I rounded up :D )

Thanks for the input,

It is an odd one for me as to be honest cars seem to leave me cold (much prefer my bikes) and this is more of a functional car as we have a caravan (1300KG) to tow and our current Renault RX4 was usually low 30's until we had it chipped and now we are getting high 30's to mid 40's and always get low 30's towing. My wife has given me a list of requirements which are Budget, Towing ability and preferably good MPG. So it was narrowed down to a BMW 3 series estate or possibly X3, Honda CRV or Toyota Rav 4 and after a bit window shopping she has decided she wants the higher seating of the 4x4 versions.

Now we just have to find one......

I can now join in having just filled up for the second time after owning the car for a whole ten days :D

I just managed to get to 40mpg but hey it only has 389 miles on the clock, I hope it will get a bit better over time :unsure:

Guy

(I rounded up :D )

Guy,

just looked at my records - I'd done just under 2000 miles before I strted to get over 40 MPG so I guess you will be fine. Looking at your current MPG you certainly seem to have the hang of driving it economically. :)

I'm finding my mpg very similar to above. 42-44mpg and as mentioned before computer is over optimistic, mine showing exactly 50.0mpg at the minute. Was 52.9 until the cold snap. Mine's two weeks under 1 year old and has completed approx. 13000 miles

I'm finding my mpg very similar to above. 42-44mpg and as mentioned before computer is over optimistic, mine showing exactly 50.0mpg at the minute. Was 52.9 until the cold snap. Mine's two weeks under 1 year old and has completed approx. 13000 miles

Mine also shows 50 mpg on the OBC and on the tank to tank method its really around 42 mpg .

Ive noticed on really winding days the OBC is down to around 46 mpg , mainly cross winds this weekend , not head winds which you would expect it to effect the mpg ....... strange ;)

We seem to be getting some consistency here, just got back from a trip to Porthmadog, 226mls brim to brim 25.02 ltrs which i calculate to 41mpg, this included some quite enthusiastic driving :rolleyes: + 80 mph ish on the motorway. my Obc annoyingly was showing a very ambitious 51.2 mpg.. :driving:

P.S For You clever people, could our On Board Computers be re-calibrated to show an accurate reading?

Ther is a certain facination in watching the OBC going up and down ( for those of us that don't get out enough? ). It is pretty poor as far as accuracy goes BUT it is usefull as an economy tool - if the reading is going up, then the real fuel consumption is going up.

I know there has been a lot of changes to diesel engines, even in the last 3 - 4 years. Anchorman pointed out that the injector now opens 4 or 5 times(?) on every power stroke. SCHM, who understands the software on the OBC, says that there is no flowmeter on the fuel system and the fuel consumption is calculated from the number of times the injector opens - so more room for error. The wife's old Xsara had an OBC that was quite accurate, but I guess that the injection pattern was much less sofisticated than the RAV.

We seem to be getting some consistency here, just got back from a trip to Porthmadog, 226mls brim to brim 25.02 ltrs which i calculate to 41mpg, this included some quite enthusiastic driving :rolleyes: + 80 mph ish on the motorway. my Obc annoyingly was showing a very ambitious 51.2 mpg.. :driving:

P.S For You clever people, could our On Board Computers be re-calibrated to show an accurate reading?

WHAT!! :censor: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5 doors AND accurate electrics. Next yer going tae tell me yer using red diesel! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links