Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Connecting Iphone 4S Via Bluetooth

Wirelad

Hi all,

I have just upgraded my iPhone from a 3g. It works fine for telephone calls but seem unable to connect for music playback.

I own a Prius Gen 3.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Have you also made sure that the car's Mode button is set to bluetooth and not Aux plus made sure on the phone that the airplay symbol is set to Car Multimedia and not iPhone? Sorry if I stating the bleeding obvious to you.

I've had no issues with my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 with connecting to the Prius Gen 3.

Any iPhone 4s owners managed to get Siri to work over the bluetooth system?

Chris

My iPhone 4 voice control used to work over the bluetooth car connection, so I presumed Siri on the 4S would have worked the same.

Chris

I paired my phone in the normal way and Siri just naturally came out of the cars Speakers. Ditto me talking to Siri is via the car's mic. I certainly didn't make any changes within the phone settings and you don't need to be in the car's bluetooth mode to call up Siri. I can be listening to the radio, press the iPhone's Home button and Siri buts in over the radio.

Chris

I paired my phone in the normal way and Siri just naturally came out of the cars Speakers. Ditto me talking to Siri is via the car's mic. I certainly didn't make any changes within the phone settings and you don't need to be in the car's bluetooth mode to call up Siri. I can be listening to the radio, press the iPhone's Home button and Siri buts in over the radio.

Yep, works just the same as on my iPhone 4 with standard voice control then.

• 1 month later...

Finally joined the ranks of the audio bluetooth connectors, with an upgrade to a 4S.

Siri seems to work well through the car's Speakers and microphone. A 'talking' screen comes up on the car's multifunction display. He's able to take commands to play songs, playlists or genres. There's also a nice fade-out for incoming calls, followed by a fade back in. The volume setting is retained as being different for AM/FM radio - nice!

Changing the audio selection to FM/AM appears to stop play and disconnect the pairing, but at least is reassuring that the phone isn't still playing away and running down the Battery while in my pocket!

I might be dumb but...

Can you connect via bluetooth for the phone at the same time as music?

When I'm connected for the phone I get a message saying 'device is in use' when I try and connect via bluetooth to play audio... and my BT tab on audio is always greyed out.

Phone is 4S and car is gen 3.

Thanks

Mark (dumb)

Can you connect via Bluetooth for the phone at the same time as music?

Yes. I have the same combination and can take calls while listening to music from the same phone.

I haven't checked to see whether the order of pairing or something else might affect how successful these work. However, I have noticed that there is a slightly uncomfortable delay before the car responds to the phone.

I might be dumb but...

Can you connect via Bluetooth for the phone at the same time as music?

When I'm connected for the phone I get a message saying 'device is in use' when I try and connect via Bluetooth to play audio... and my BT tab on audio is always greyed out.

Thanks

Mark (dumb)

I had the same problem on the Gen3 I had for the day. The only way I could stop it was to remove the pairing both in the car and on the phone. Then added the phone to the audio side first if I remember correctly. Also I made the passcode for audio and hands free the same. So not sure what actually solved it.

• Like 1

I had the same problem on the Gen3 I had for the day. The only way I could stop it was to remove the pairing both in the car and on the phone. Then added the phone to the audio side first if I remember correctly. Also I made the passcode for audio and hands free the same. So not sure what actually solved it.

Hi

I second that: up untill this evening I couldn't have the audio to reconnect automatically, though the phone did connect fine every time.

I removed the pairing for both audio and phone in the car, then changed the audio passcode to match the phone passcode.

Repaired the audio, then the phone.

Now it's fine, both phone + audio reconnect automatically. I did notice that I sometimes had to click on reconnect when switching from FM to bluetooth audio, but the reconnection works fine.

The bluetooth next or previous track doesn't seem to be working though. But I think I remember reading that this was not available on iPhone 3G.

That's on a tns510 mounted inside my Auris HSD

Thanks for the tip !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I second that: up untill this evening I couldn't have the audio to reconnect automatically, though the phone did connect fine every time.

I removed the pairing for both audio and phone in the car, then changed the audio passcode to match the phone passcode.

Repaired the audio, then the phone.

Now it's fine, both phone + audio reconnect automatically. I did notice that I sometimes had to click on reconnect when switching from FM to bluetooth audio, but the reconnection works fine.

The bluetooth next or previous track doesn't seem to be working though. But I think I remember reading that this was not available on iPhone 3G.

That's on a tns510 mounted inside my Auris HSD

Thanks for the tip !

Ludovic -

Did you use the same name for the audio & the phone? I have iPhone 4s & I can get audio paired & working or iPhone paired & working but not both together.

Ludovic -

Did you use the same name for the audio & the phone? I have iPhone 4s & I can get audio paired & working or iPhone paired & working but not both together.

Hi

I'm not too sure I understand which name you are referring to...Is that the name under which the handsfree or audio is known ? If so I did not change these names, I left them as they were by default. If I remember correctly, both are known as "Toyota" on the iPhone side.

Does that help ?

If you can clarify, I'll have a look and let you know..

Regards,

Ludovic

When you select "pair audio", the system asks to "Record Name" of device, then "Confirm" then "passkey" is input. It follows the same process for the phone side.

Do I record the same name against the audio pairing & the phone pairing?

When you select "pair audio", the system asks to "Record Name" of device, then "Confirm" then "passkey" is input. It follows the same process for the phone side.

Is this asked on the iPhone side or on the Car side ?

As I don't remember having had to input any name(...or maybe I did, but a name came by default, and I didn't change it ?) , on either the TNS510 (car) or the iPhone (iOS 3.1.3).

I've just checked, I have the same name for both services on the car side (=TOYOTA) + same passkey and also a single pairing on the iPhone side (=TOYOTA)

Hope this helps,

Ludovic

Is this asked on the iPhone side or on the Car side ?

As I don't remember having had to input any name(...or maybe I did, but a name came by default, and I didn't change it ?) , on either the TNS510 (car) or the iPhone (iOS 3.1.3).

I've just checked, I have the same name for both services on the car side (=TOYOTA) + same passkey and also a single pairing on the iPhone side (=TOYOTA)

Hope this helps,

Ludovic

Sorted now, after quite a bit of pairing & deleting. The "Record Name" is asked by the car audio.

After deleting all pairings, I paired the iPhone 4s (running iOS 5.0.1) via the instructions for phone pairing in the Auris HSD user manual. When it had option to select "phone only" or "internal audio" I selected "internal audio".

Then input passkey, voila - phone & music is paired. No need to set up the iPod side of the iPhone first.

Then phone calls/Siri are via car audio & music/podcasts are via car audio with "DISC-AUX" selected on the radio. Can also have TomTom running on iPhone, with music or podcasts via Speakers.

Thanks for the help. Hope this is a help to anyone else having set up problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links