Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid

cuius

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BassaJay

• Mister MMT

• timberwolf

• Yolina

i dont quite understand the point of a yaris hybrid. is it just another exercise to gain more market share out of the hybrid market?

most people opt for the yaris because it is small, cheap to buy and to run ALREADY. the hybrid system will no doubt be more frugal but it will add to the cost of the purchase price.

So they haven't taken any boot space for the HV batteries. :thumbsup:

i dont quite understand the point of a yaris hybrid . . . . . . the hybrid system will no doubt be more frugal but it will add to the cost of the purchase price.

In the same way that it does for every other vehicle where there is both a conventional version and a hybrid version?

Do you remember when buying the "automatic" version was an extra that cost more? It's a bit like that now with the hybrid version, but I think we are moving to the the situation where the hybrid will be a normal high-volume mass production item and will cost no more (or maybe even less) than a "conventional" vehicle.

i dont quite understand the point of a yaris hybrid. is it just another exercise to gain more market share out of the hybrid market?

most people opt for the yaris because it is small, cheap to buy and to run ALREADY. the hybrid system will no doubt be more frugal but it will add to the cost of the purchase price.

In some ways you're right, but I remember thinking exactly the same about the Auris HSD and that it wouldn't sell as it was the same price as a Prius etc etc, yet it has been a runaway success. I think almost as many Auris hsd's are sold as Prius in the UK. The Yaris hsd will cost more but will also be very economical, easy and quiet to drive and will also be of benefit to those in London area as well as those to whom it will be a company car.

Also, the MORE diesels taken off the road the better the air quality for us all :) (yes even the latest 2012 diesels still produce more smog than a petrol car)

<snip>

Also, the less diesels taken off the road the better the air quality for us all :) (yes even the latest 2012 diesels still produce more smog than a petrol car)

Not sure that Toyota intend to supply less diesel powered cars though, if I recall correctly Toyota signed a deal in December with BMW for the supply of diesel engines.

Also, the less diesels taken off the road the better the air quality for us all :) (yes even the latest 2012 diesels still produce more smog than a petrol car)

The less diesels taken off the road . . . ?? :laughing:

B&J

The less diesels taken off the road . . . ?? :laughing:

B&J

lol, thanks for that. Now corrected (I hope).

In Spain, possibly other countries, there are subsidies for hybrid cars. In my region it is fixed at €2,300 irrespective of size of car, therefore applying this to the Yaris will make it very attractive

Actually IMHO the Yaris makes more sense as a hybrid than the Prius does - Hybrids work best in cities, and the best cars in cities are small ones! :thumbsup:

(Admittedly the Mk3 Yaris isn't actually that small these days unless we're using the USA definition of small :lol:)

It may cost more but I'd assume not much more than the diesel, maybe even less?

The fuel economy should be insane if they've managed to keep the weight down.

I wonder what the Battery range is; Can't be much if they are small enough to go under the rear seats, but this explains why the new Yaris doesn't have sliding rear seats! :lol:

What's really bizarre is that it has a bigger engine than the normal Yarisesesusisses! Isn't the 1.5 the SR engine?! I had assumed they'd use the 1.0 or 1.33 for maximum efficiency, but the 1.5 seems a bit counter. Still, it should have a good bit of pull :naughty:

But I still think the front looks ugly :P

What's really bizarre is that it has a bigger engine than the normal Yarisesesusisses! Isn't the 1.5 the SR engine?! I had assumed they'd use the 1.0 or 1.33 for maximum efficiency, but the 1.5 seems a bit counter. Still, it should have a good bit of pull :naughty:

But I still think the front looks ugly :P

Without boring you on the technicalities, but if the Yaris hsd is anything like the other Toyota hybrids, then it'll use a different type of engine cycle. This allows for fantastic economy but at the expense of acceleration. This engine cycle could be used in normal cars but you'd die of boredom getting upto 60 mph, though once there you'd get fab mpg's. The acceleration in a hybrid however is assisted by the electric motors, which is why you can get a 0-60 time of 10 seconds, yet can get 75 mpg out of a 1.8 litre petrol engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Sounds like it could be a replacement for our Aygo and Prius in a couple of years when we need to go down to one car... provided I can fit in the damn thing!! (I tried the new Yaris when it first came out and had problems with my long legs)

:thumbsup:

I tried my mates Yaris. It was far too small for our needs. Recently I got fencing panels and took rubbish to the dump etc in the Prius. The Yaris is OK if you are only going to carry 4 passengers and not too much luggage. I think it is good that Toyota are going to manufacture a hybrid Yaris. I agree with GC about diesels. School Mums who block our road every day at school times seem to manly use 4x4 diesels.

Jan & Tone from what you say you would not be comfortable in a Yaris.

I agree to some extent with what you say, but hybrids aren't just about petrol savings - there are emissions to consider as well. With the extremely low carbon output, hybrids are good for the ecology. With governments around the world being pressured to lower emissions, car manufacturers are surely going to help as much as they can, especially Toyota which has such a well proven hybrid synergy drive.

Those are my thoughts on why it is being produced.

Cheers

B&J

i suppose you guys have a point. so are Toyota going to stop the production for yaris petrol and possibly diesel altogether? because it'd be silly to sell e.g. petrol yaris and hybrid yaris together.

just had a quick look, the new yaris can do 52mpg combined, emit 123g/km CO2 and annual road tax is £20, i must say that's bril already!

just had a quick look, the new yaris can do 52mpg combined, emit 123g/km CO2 and annual road tax is £20, i must say that's bril already!

123g/km was brill a few years ago BUT the manufacturers had to get a fleet average emissions of 120g/km by 2012 (and mostly missed it) or possibly get severe legislation introduced. You aren't going to get a fleet average of 120g/km when one of your super mini's gets 123g/km. Introduce a few hybrids, a plug in and an EV and you get your average.

http://en.wikipedia....emission_limits

Oh and whilst you're in that link you might want to see how diesel emission limits compare with petrol cars. Diesels, yes even the latest modern ones can emit upwards of 10x more poisonous and/or smog forming emissions than a petrol. Then when you note that hybrids engines are often off in stationary and slow moving traffic and you will see how they benefit the air quality in a city. If you or your loved ones have asthma and drive a diesel in a city then you are part of their problem. Simple as.

i suppose you guys have a point. so are Toyota going to stop the production for yaris petrol and possibly diesel altogether? because it'd be silly to sell e.g. petrol yaris and hybrid yaris together.

And the hybrid will likely do in excess of 70/80mpg with sub 100 g/km co2 and nil road tax! - even better! :)

Was that the automatic Yaris?

that's a 1.33 manual i believe

You have to remember that so far, all Toyota hybrids are equivalent automatics!

You have to remember that so far, all Toyota hybrids are equivalent automatics!

Given the way the hybrid system works, it would be impossible to have a manual Toyota hybrid.

Well, given the way the more advanced, more economical way the TOYOTA hybrid system works it is not possible for it to be a manual.

The simpler, less economical, less reliable, less long lasting HONDA hybrid system can be a manual. The original Insight was available as a manual or automatic.

Well it's not such an issue; Normal automatic gear trains are generally worse than manuals in terms of complexity, efficiency losses or fragility, but the HSD has none of these problems and is actually quite good :)

I've said a few times that if someone wanted a Toyota autobox, they'd be much better off with a HSD rather than, say, an MMT ;)

I've said a few times that if someone wanted a Toyota autobox, they'd be much better off with a HSD rather than, say, an MMT ;)

+1

So the Hybrid Yaris could be popular for those who want a reliable auto Yaris. :)

For many years Toyota have stated there will be a Hybrid in nearly every model lineup by 2020, so more and more will be seen over the years to come. As technology and batteries get better, the range / MPG / Emissions will all improve

I know they have announced the tie in with BMW over diesel engines, but that market is going to dimminish over the years, diesel will be a dead duck in years to come

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links