Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Going For A Looong Road Trip!

St Thicket

I'm heading for a long road trip this weekend. We're driving about 5000 km (3000 miles) total for nearly a month... [the route]

There is going to be many mountain passes and no freeways, but that shouldn't be very worrying, as you all know; the Rav4 is invincible :thumbsup:

The car just rounded 139.000 km (86400 miles), and were last serviced at about 135.000 km.

It's a 2003 Rav4.2 with the 2.0 D-4D Engine. The timing belt was changed at about 120.000 km, and the Flywheel was changed at about 100.000 km... (I'm glad toyota paid it)

For you mechanics guys; are there any technical issues that I should worry about before i go?

I've invested in comfort commodities like:

Electric cooling bag to keep the drinks cold

DVD-player to keep my 2 year old son occupied

...so the trip should be comfortable enough for the passengers:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• St Thicket

• anchorman

• Hoovie

• shcm

Now that a nice drive! :eek::yahoo::thumbsup:

Sorry I can't add any advice but good luck and enjoy! :D :thumbsup:

I suppose like with any car, things like a wee bit of spare oil; maybe a radiator coolant leak gunk for when you run thru a pack of bison; a shovel for extricating the car from a ditch after you've fallen asleep; a portaloo for the boot in case a hedge just isn't enough; are the Wiper Blades ok?; windscreen fly carcass removal spray; a drum of diesel on the Roof Rack for when you run out; a kettle for when you get fed up of cold drinks; an inverter for the kettle; a red flag in case you need to warn people you're coming; more flags to hang out the windows to keep the kid happy...... :rolleyes:

I think you have all the major mechanical RAV issues covered.

Don't forget to check "POWER" = Petrol (Diesel) Oil Water (coolant) Electrics (lights etc) Rubber (tyres, wipers etc).

Bothy will probably point out that with diesel that is "DOWER" which might sound like "dour".

That is a brilliant drive. Had a fine holiday in Norway a few years ago and have always fancied the drive to the North Cape. But you knew that already ;).

Oh yes :yes:. Those fantastic mountain climbs and passes, the walls of snow at the top early in the season, the wildlife, the scenery, the waterfalls, the tunnels (how could I forget the tunnels!). I'm very jealous!

So it will be lots of these signs?

Skilt146_01.png

and these?

2543811243_3052b0a967.jpg

somehow, I don't think I will ever forget the Norwegian for "cattle grid" :).

Enjoy the trip!

I suppose like with any car, things like a wee bit of spare oil; maybe a radiator coolant leak gunk for when you run thru a pack of bison

I'm not driving throug africa... I think the most plausible pack i could possibly run throug would be pedestrians :lol:

a shovel for extricating the car from a ditch after you've fallen asleep; a portaloo for the boot in case a hedge just isn't enough;

I do have the 4x4 version, so a shovel shouldn't be necessary...

a portaloo for the boot in case a hedge just isn't enough

...or we could stop at the next gas station

are the wiper blades ok?

windscreen fly carcass removal spray

a drum of diesel on the roof rack for when you run out

a kettle for when you get fed up of cold drinks

an inverter for the kettle

a red flag in case you need to warn people you're coming

more flags to hang out the windows to keep the kid happy...... :rolleyes:

check! Wipers are good!

Good idea! Never thought of that... the mosquitos can be really large nort of the polar circle (or moral circle as we call it)

Don't have a drum, and running out of diesel has never happened to me...

I thought about an inverter for my Nespresso-mashine... but I think I'll bring my analog kettle for my primus instead.

I'll just lean on the horn, and that will be easily sorted :-)

No, DVD and songs will be sufficient i think...

Oh yes :yes:. Those fantastic mountain climbs and passes, the walls of snow at the top early in the season, the wildlife, the scenery, the waterfalls, the tunnels (how could I forget the tunnels!). I'm very jealous!

Tunnels are the worst! Dark and humid, and quite frequent, especially between Bergen and Voss.

Where I used to work before, I had to go through 12 tunnels one way, and this was only a 40 km long ride! Now im only driving through 7... (30 km)

Anyway, we'll pass Hell on the way :)

hell1.jpg

This is the actual sign at Hell Train Station.

I'll translate:

Hell = Luck

gods = goods/commodities

Expedition = yeah, same in english...

By the way, my car comes from Hell... the local car dealer there :-)

Tunnels are the worst! Dark and humid, and quite frequent, especially between Bergen and Voss.

Where I used to work before, I had to go through 12 tunnels one way, and this was only a 40 km long ride! Now im only driving through 7... (30 km)

Anyway, we'll pass Hell on the way :)

hell1.jpg

This is the actual sign at Hell Train Station.

I'll translate:

Hell = Luck

gods = goods/commodities

Expedition = yeah, same in english...

By the way, my car comes from Hell... the local car dealer there :-)

Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Do you have the dealer location on your number plate as that must be the best ever....Only place you can tell someone to "Go To Hell" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superb :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Do you have the dealer location on your number plate as that must be the best ever....Only place you can tell someone to "Go To Hell" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant! :thumbsup: Bothy probably likes to think he has the RAV monster from Hell, but actually we have proof that the award goes to a 4.2 diesel. Please tell me your RAV has 5 doors :lol:

(like the "my car" link pic of the number plate :thumbsup:).

Please tell me your RAV has 5 doors :lol:

Yes, there's 5 of them :D

Please tell me your RAV has 5 doors :lol:

Yes, there's 5 of them :D

:yahoo::toast::yahoo::toast::yahoo::toast::yahoo::toast:

Well if the RAV monster is from Hell, I wonder if it should have horns on the Badge? I think Chatman has some on his??:g:

I'm just about to do the same miles from this weekend. Driving from Stockport to St. Tropez.

I'm so glad that its in the Rav, got every confidence of a reliable drive.

Have a great trip :thumbsup:

Well if the RAV monster is from Hell, I wonder if it should have horns on the badge? I think Chatman has some on his??:g:

Happy to oblige.... :) :) :)

DSCF0160.jpg

Well if the RAV monster is from Hell, I wonder if it should have horns on the badge? I think Chatman has some on his??:g:

Happy to oblige.... :) :) :)

DSCF0160.jpg

Whoa! (que the angel choir)

Where on earth can I get something like that?

/me want!

With that service history I would just get in and go.

Enjoy your holiday!

It sounds like a great roadtrip, St Thicket. you could maybe bring back some Dealer Signs from Toyota Hell for the T180 Drivers :thumbsup:

2543811243_3052b0a967.jpg

somehow, I don't think I will ever forget the Norwegian for "cattle grid" :).

Enjoy the trip!

That means Cattle Grid :wacko:

Is it in Norway they have trolls? you know those little guys that hide under bridges, and oh, Cattle Grids as well .... downtown.gif

Hoovie: The sign itself should be self-explanatory, but the text underneath means cettle grid...

And yes, Trolls are a part of our folk lore.

I'll drive by the dealer and see if he has some extra holders :) I need one myself, since the one on the back door has had a injury and can barely hold the plate. I can't use one from another dealer, cause I need to maintain the image :rolleyes:

Thanks for all support, folks! I really appreciate it.

I'll leave my laptop at home, so I'm not back until September!

Cheers!

Hoovie: The sign itself should be self-explanatory, but the text underneath means cettle grid...

And yes, Trolls are a part of our folk lore.

I'll drive by the dealer and see if he has some extra holders :) I need one myself, since the one on the back door has had a injury and can barely hold the plate. I can't use one from another dealer, cause I need to maintain the image :rolleyes:

Thanks for all support, folks! I really appreciate it.

I'll leave my laptop at home, so I'm not back until September!

Cheers!

A 5 door travelling 3000km wioot a portaloo and weens in the back - nae chance. Been there an dun it. Its clearing the womit is the biggest hassle. An dinna ye ken that bison hae p[laces everywaur the noo? Global warming an the cost of fuel is the reason.

A 5 door travelling 3000km wioot a portaloo and weens in the back - nae chance. Been there an dun it. Its clearing the womit is the biggest hassle. An dinna ye ken that bison hae p[laces everywaur the noo? Global warming an the cost of fuel is the reason.

I'm not very good at scottch written accents... care to translate?

I'm not very good at scottch written accents... care to translate?

HA HA HA :thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't think even the Scottish members know how to translate Bothy Language :wacko::wacko:

I'm just about to do the same miles from this weekend. Driving from Stockport to St. Tropez.

Have a nice holiday Steve :thumbsup:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

I did St Albans to North-East Spain in my HR-V - it struggled up the french mountains a bit :unsure:

Then did Devon to North-East Spain in the RAV4 - didn't struggle anywhere :toast:

We have done our first 1000 km, and I must say it have been quite painless...

One thing I´ve noticed is how the rav handles in 80 kmh in sharp turns on a narrow road. It´s not as comfy as a low BMW though, but it rules on dirt roads!

One thing that´s worrying me is the low pitch squeek that comes from the engine bay when the engine is revving. What could it be? the belt?

Well it could be the belt. They sometimes squeek when the engine is idling particularly when cold but if it is slipping it sounds more like continuous tyre screeching. This tends to happen more when all the lights/heater and other electrical loads are switched on because the alternator becomes loaded and more difficult to drive.

If you have a K&N air filter fitted replace it with a conventional one because they fail to silence the turbo as they should.

Enjoy your epic journey mate!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from St. Tropez.

No problems at all, did'nt use any oil at all through 2700 miles.

Reset comp at Calais and over 750 miles to St. Tropez did 29.4 mpg and 84 ave speed. The only time we queued was from M6 toll to Knutsford services on the M6 :D

The French autoroutes are very good and the French also have excellent lane discipline. For anyone driving over there I would recommend a Telepage Toll Device. You get your own reserved lane (always empty) and no looking for change etc.

For anyone driving over there I would recommend a Telepage Toll Device. You get your own reserved lane (always empty) and no looking for change etc.

How does this work for a tourist? Autocharges a credit/debit card on each use; or have to pre-load it with credit?

I used my Cards in the booths and generally pretty good, but did have the odd long queue while the telepage lanes were empty :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links