Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pedal Recall..are You Worried?

waxxy

so with toyota recalling toyotas to fix the pedal issue do you think thats good enough to gain your trust in toyotas car safety?

even if they fix my car my wifes said she doesnt trust the yaris anymore especially if were driving around with the baby and after chatting to a few people most are gonna either sell there toyotas or use them less than they orginally did.

i think toyota should do what hyundai are doing were by if youve bought your car in the last 12 months you can either have it fixed or pay a little extra to get a newer model or upgraded version.

my best mate used to work for hyundai as a head salesman and he said hyundai are keeping quite but the reason there doing this deal were by you get a new car for 499 pounds is because theyve got issues with a few cars and will be recalling some soon if theyve not already done so.i dont know what the full story is with there issues but he thought that hyundais got problems with there pedals and brakes too.

to regain public support and brand trust toyota need to do more than say theyve fixed there pedals theres been a few hundred accidents worldwide which theyve owened up to and thats not including all the other accidents that have been hushed up or denyed.

to do a worldwide recall the issue is much much bigger than there letting on and the fact the head boss has been in hiding since december says alot about how deep and serious this problem is.

the best solution i feel is any bought from feb 2009-sept 2009 should get offered a choice of fix for free and free service and extra warrenty or choice of paying a small fee to get car made after sept2009 or pay extra to get model of your choice.

any car sold before 2009 should get fix,and extended warrenty,next service free of charge.

if they did this customers would be happy and stay loyal to the toyota brand as it is im undecided wether to keep my yaris once its fixed ive already sent for some other car manufacturers brocheures to check out there cars just in case my wife wants to get rid of it.

if i did what price do you think id get from a dealership for a yaris tr 1.0 ,eclipse black,toyota alloys,3000 miles on clock,bought july 2009

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reece

• waxxy

• Parts-King

• Raeman

I think you are over reacting over something where there have been no recorded incidents in the UK.

I doubt very much that I will even take mine in. If you check the videos I’ve posted you will see that all they do is put a small metal plate the size of a 2p coin under the spring to increase the resistance. If I had an automatic then maybe I would get if modified but having a manual I don’t see the need.

There isn’t a cat in hell’s chance of Toyota offering you a new car or subsidising you for a new one.

Do I trust my Yaris? Yes! 100%. Will I change my car? No! Am I happy and still loyal to Toyota? Yes!

its my wife thats scared reece shes worried something will happen with the baby in the car.ive told her not too worry and if something does happen all you have to do is turn the engine off and hit the brakes then we get a lawyer and sue the crap out of toyota lol.

i think the news is blowing this way out of proportion too and other car manufacturers will be spinning crap to discredit them too but the head guy needs to step forward and make a statement to reasure there shareholders and customers.in japan the governments got involved now and found more problems with the prius as well but the prius is not being recalled in europe.

to be truthful the only issue i have is 2nd gear is stiff to get into and thanks to everyone on here postng about that problem im hoping it will get fixed soon.the issue with the pedals hasnt been a problem with my car in fact the acceleration and brakes are very keen if anything especially the brake.

ive told her not too worry and if something does happen all you have to do is turn the engine off and hit the brakes then we get a lawyer and sue the crap out of toyota lol.

DON’T turn the engine off groan.gif

OMG!!!

If your wife turns the engine off while driving (no offence) but there is also a good chance of her locking the steering column and causing a crash. She will also lose her brakes if she presses them more than once.

Remember that the majority of UK drivers have a manual gearbox, just dip the clutch. Simples!

Put it in neutral and pull over :thumbsup:

pot.jpg

omg reece its toyotas helpline that told me and my wife that if it happened they said dont panic its simple just turn the ignition key so you turn the engine off and then do an emergency stop just like they taught you on your driving test ..

i said i thought if you turned the key off then youd lose all power so you couldnt steer the guy said no youll be ok just turn engine off and hit the brakes thats the best way to stop your car if you have any problems.

if hes wrong and hes telling others to do this and they have a crash theyll be up *****tt street once it comes to court.

Please, if you get a recall notice you must bring your car in.

Here's a link to a page outlining what we advise should - for whatever reason in whatever car - your accelerator gets stuck

Click here

If your wife turns the engine off while driving (no offence) but there is also a good chance of her locking the steering column and causing a crash.

Only when the key is removed ;)

She will also lose her brakes if she presses them more than once.

In an emergency one application would be all you would need ;) ..........any more aplications would result in loss of brake assistance, not loss of brakes, it would be hard to press but there are still brakes, including the park/emergency brake.

I am not worried. As soon as I notice some unusual accelerating, I'm pressing clutch instantly, put neutral, hazard lights and on to the hard shoulder if possible. Engine off and call RAC :)

If your wife turns the engine off while driving (no offence) but there is also a good chance of her locking the steering column and causing a crash.

Only when the key is removed ;)

She will also lose her brakes if she presses them more than once.

In an emergency one application would be all you would need ;) ..........any more aplications would result in loss of brake assistance, not loss of brakes, it would be hard to press but there are still brakes, including the park/emergency brake.

Les, I hear what you are saying but you are a professional advanced driver, a panicking woman or inexperience driver (no offence to anyone) may behave irrationally in a high stress situation and may not be able to keep a level head.

If she goes anywhere near the key a bet a pound to a penny the key comes out of the barrel.

Depress the clutch put it in neutral and coast to a safe stop and apply the brakes when needed.

Doesn't change my view of Toyota at all I love my Yaris and wouldn't want to change it. My last car was a Ford Ka and I had to get rid of what mechanically was a good car because it was covered in rust and would of cost at least a grand to put through its MOT, Ford was well aware that pre 2000 Ford Kas had this issue and didn't do nothing about it and a quick search on the net shows that Toyota aren't the only ones with problems the Honda Jazz is known to burst into flames. Yes, there is a known problem with Toyotas but it wouldn't make me change my view of them.

Just my 2penneth.....If i had a new model Yaris, i would'nt be too alarmed about this recall business.

I would think you would have to be seriously UNlucky for your car to just zoom off with a sticky pedal!

However, i can understand why some folk would be worried. After all, it's not what one expects from a make like Toyota. :unsure:

On another forum a fellow brought his RAV4 in for routine maintenance and while it was in they decided to do the pedal fix by fitting the metal shim. He said now the pedal is so loose that it's hard to hold it steady especially when driving over bumps and potholes. The fix removes most of the friction in the mechanism which does eliminate sticking, but at a cost--almost no feedback to the driver. In this case it would seem the cure is worse than the disease.

Wifes 1.4 D is covered under the recal.

My 1.8 SR isnt though - so what does this tell you about French build quality (1.4) compared to Japanese (1.8).

We many years ago had a Pug, I vowed never to get a French car again, and now I regret getting a French Built Toyota, after many years happy Toyota ownership, I feel their outsourcing is going to seriously damage their reputation.

NO I am not at all worried.

I have had previous cars recalled for various reasons, it happens to all makes.

I wonder if the part supplier is part of Toyota, if not do they supply any other makes with the same part, or is it to Toyota's design.

The metal piece that they jam under the spring looks very crude, I’m in two minds weather to get it done or not. I think I’d rather have a new pedal assembly as on the Jap versions.

The metal piece that they jam under the spring looks very crude, I’m in two minds weather to get it done or not. I think I’d rather have a new pedal assembly as on the Jap versions.

your right it does look like a dodgy fix it job.surely it would be better just to replace the pedal as you say reece if they did this itd be a bigger piece of mind knowing its a full new part instead of a bit of metal stuck on another bit of metal.

Hi guys,

thought I would add my thoughts!

I currently drive an Auris SR180 57 plate, its my 2nd Toyota and I am very happy with it (as I was with my previous Avensis Tourer.)

I have no cause for alarm regarding this recall, to be honest I could'nt give a stuff a I know that Toyota will do the business and modify my car when they are in aposition to do so.

So much hype, so much bickering.

Its been said already about other car companies ie Renault with their famous "nothing wrong" with the bonnet relase catch on our Clio's!! and we all know what happend there!

We could make a list forever.

Toyota have done the right thing, let them get on with putting things right.

Good on you Mr T.

Am I worried?

NO

Would I buy another Toyota

YES (if I could afford the new Avensis!!!)

Best wishes

Paul

My sentiments entirely regarding the respectability of Toyota Motor Corp. When you're the world's largest car manufacturer you are there to be shot at, it makes great news. I remember reading an article many years ago about a serious safety flaw in one of Fords cars in the States where people were being killed and maimed and Ford refused to recall their cars as it would have cost them more to rectify the fault than it would cost to pay out any compensation.I don't think you could get away with that these days.

So am I worried - NO.

NO I am not at all worried.

I have had previous cars recalled for various reasons, it happens to all makes.

I wonder if the part supplier is part of Toyota, if not do they supply any other makes with the same part, or is it to Toyota's design.

No, the part supplier is CTS of Elkhart, Indiana, totally separate from Toyota. The pedal assembly is made to Toyota's specs at a CTS plant in Canada. They also supply similar parts to other car manufacturers.

I looked up the Denso pedal assembly. The list price from Toyota was 420 US Dollars!

toyotas updated there website ..it now has a link were by you input your vin number..it then tells you if your car is one of those affected then it asks for your contact details and garage you got it from then it says they will contact you as soon as possible to arrange to get your car fixed..thats a much better way of doing it than sending out letters :)

mine is one of those being recalled ive inputed my deatails and i should get a call tommorow hopefully .

toyotas updated there website ..it now has a link were by you input your vin number..it then tells you if your car is one of those affected then it asks for your contact details and garage you got it from then it says they will contact you as soon as possible to arrange to get your car fixed..thats a much better way of doing it than sending out letters :)

mine is one of those being recalled ive inputed my deatails and i should get a call tommorow hopefully .

Toyota/DVLA will still send out letters to keepers of affected vehicles......................The Toyota website facility is just an extra facility provided to help owners who have access to the internet.

Many Toyota owners do not even own a computer ....................That is why the letters will be sent :thumbsup:

the best solution i feel is any bought from feb 2009-sept 2009 should get offered a choice of fix for free and free service and extra warrenty or choice of paying a small fee to get car made after sept2009 or pay extra to get model of your choice.

any car sold before 2009 should get fix,and extended warrenty,next service free of charge.

What a load of rubbish.

Has you car ever shown any signs of the throttle sticking open? Why would it suddenly start doing it now? I'm sure they said the problem is due to wear, your car has done 3,000 miles, so unlikely the part will have worn by now.

It suprises me how stupid the general public are, manual box, stick the clutch in... and then stick it in neutral...

and waxxy, let's be honest, even if your throttle was to stick open, with that piddly 1.0 engine it will take half a century to get upto a decent speed that could do some damage :P

I for one am not worried at all, and it hasn't made me question Toyota at all. Now if only they could fix my squeeky brakes...

I've got an X Reg Toyota and even though I doubt its affected I still think Toyota are the best out there and that the Yaris is the best model! :D

I've got an X Reg Toyota and even though I doubt its affected I still think Toyota are the best out there and that the Yaris is the best model! :D

Our Mk1 Yaris's won't be affected as they are too old.

Shappers....2funny!! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links