Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Toyota To Change Lift Bolts

morgie

One called back and quoted me 3.5hrs labour! :eek: I said I didn't think this sounded correct, but he believed the engine would need to be stripped down to a level similar to other jobs that take this long.

That is absolutely pathetic. This is a 20 minute job at worst and that's for someone who isn't a trained toyota mechanic!!

Thanks for that. I think I'll most probably do them myself, I'm not a complete divvy I service my car myself and I'm 'engineeringly' minded. I just hope they're not sheared, but from what I read its very uncommon on the CTS? Could they shear upon removal if they've not already? I suppose chucking some WD-40 on em would help, but would that be a great idea with all the engine oil milling about?

Chris I think you are getting needlessly worried about this. Chances are your bolts have some mild scuffing on them and that is it. As long as you avoid any He-Man impressions removing any bolts and also putting them back on again, you won't have any problems at all.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norfolk n Chance

• ricc

• MarcTS

• illgryphon

Chris I think you are getting needlessly worried about this. Chances are your bolts have some mild scuffing on them and that is it. As long as you avoid any He-Man impressions removing any bolts and also putting them back on again, you won't have any problems at all.

I agree! Will try and get down the local stealers tomorrow and get them to order ze bolts, how quickly do they come in general? Have PM'd partsking but he's been afk for a few days I guess?

Morgie - If I do end up changing mine and all goes well, I'm not that far from you.

Should only be a 1 or 2 day wait for them. And Parts-King was away for a week with some event (I forgot) but I saw him touting for business in the dog guard thread, so he should be back and anwsering PMs tomorrow :)

I called two dealerships. Unfortunately the people I spoke to were not familiar with VVTL-I and/or lift bolts. I described what they did and gave the part number, they said they'd call back. One called back and quoted me 3.5hrs labour! :eek: I said I didn't think this sounded correct, but he believed the engine would need to be stripped down to a level similar to other jobs that take this long. The second dealer didn't call back. The only plus point, it was confirmed that the bolts are 53p plus VAT each.

3.5hrs? :laughing: :lol2:

As Marc said, 20mins for a non-mechanic!

I'm probably going to call my local dealership tomorrow to get a quote from them for changing the lift bolts. I have the part number, but can anyone advise if there is a Technical Service Bulletin that I could reference if they don't know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

http://www.celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/TSB_liftbolts.pdf

thats the official tsb, the number of the document is at the top left. there was no specific recall for the corolla as they didnt suffer from the broken bolt issues but you can mention it and say you want to change them.

The corolla model with the 2zz-ge had revised bolts, intake manifold, air injection and a different header. Until now i dont think any corolla 2zz-ge lift bolts have broken, daileys car was down to abnormal wear on the cam, alot of the lotus guys have that from the oil spray bar which is inside of the rocker cover that doesnt lubricate the cams properly causing wear on the lobes.

if you can have a look at the diy and ask a local garage to do it for you, supra25 has a diy, a mechanic would have the job done with ease, toyota probably will charge a fair bit to do it.

so a 2003 preFace lift has the revised lift bolts? can someone confirm it?

Bolts ordered from Bristol North Toyota, 53p+VAT each. Should be here Friday so I can attempt at the weekend. Should I be getting some sealant aswell?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally changed mine this afternoon. Probably took me about 40 minutes in total, and would certainly take less now I've done it. Its just bolting and unbolting stuff. Needed an extra pair of hands to get the head back on, as getting it in place and threading the vent tube gasket at the same time was mighty awkward! The rear bolts are a bit awkward to get to aswell, you'll need a pretty small ratchet and get ready to scuff your knuckles on everything around them!

But yeah, done now. Old bots looked surprisingly good nick actually, one of them had some wear and one was pretty much spotless. Surprised at 69k, car must of had an easy life or been previously changed. Has made no notable change to lift, really only done for peace of mind as I recently serviced the car myself just want to know its in good working order.

Chris.

Finally changed mine this afternoon. Probably took me about 40 minutes in total, and would certainly take less now I've done it. Its just bolting and unbolting stuff. Needed an extra pair of hands to get the head back on, as getting it in place and threading the vent tube gasket at the same time was mighty awkward! The rear bolts are a bit awkward to get to aswell, you'll need a pretty small ratchet and get ready to scuff your knuckles on everything around them!

But yeah, done now. Old bots looked surprisingly good nick actually, one of them had some wear and one was pretty much spotless. Surprised at 69k, car must of had an easy life or been previously changed. Has made no notable change to lift, really only done for peace of mind as I recently serviced the car myself just want to know its in good working order.

Chris.

Or it could just be a case of people over reacting about how bad the bolts actually get as I have been told that it is not a problem with these cars only the early celicas.

I changed my bolts in my 52 plate pre-facelift and there was hardly any wear at all and they were already the modified ones, bit pointless changing them to be honest. Suppose its not that much of a deal tho as they were only a quid (although one of the rear camcover bolts snapped off which was a b*****d to get out).

I changed my bolts in my 52 plate pre-facelift and there was hardly any wear at all and they were already the modified ones, bit pointless changing them to be honest. Suppose its not that much of a deal tho as they were only a quid (although one of the rear camcover bolts snapped off which was a b*****d to get out).

This is what I have been led to believe, that after the problems encountered with the early celicas the corollas were put right anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links