Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Run Flat Tyre Question

wardude

Can anyone point me in the direction, of the post that shows pictures of a guy cutting off the support ring from a run flat tyre? I`m sure it was in the RAV4 forum somewhere, but I just can`t find it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wardude

• dave.m

• anchorman

• Lordy1

Can anyone point me in the direction, of the post that shows pictures of a guy cutting off the support ring from a run flat tyre? I`m sure it was in the RAV4 forum somewhere, but I just can`t find it.

Here you go:

LINK

I reckon thats the best option. At least if you get a puncture on a normal tyre, you can pop tyre weld in and only damage the sensor. Saying that a sensor is £100 and a tyre £100 or so. Where as a run flat is £215 and a sensor £70...... Saying that you can find a normal tyre easier than a run flat and get it fitted. !Removed! hell what a mess lol

Here you go:

LINK

Thank you :thumbsup:

in France the cheapest that I have been able to get by BSR's changed on the T180 equivalent has been 350eur per tyre. not including the support ring. they also insist on changing both tyres at the same time if there is more than six months' wear. in the last year i have spent well over 1000 euros on trips to the tyre chaps.

and i am not able to change the tyres/alloys from manufacturer recommendation because doing so voids the insurance.

having said that, i have driven more than 100km on a fully burst tyre with no trouble at all and have bunged tyre weld in to a punctured tyre several times without damage to the sensors.

and the ride is so _bouncy_ with the runflats. i'd dearly love to change them.

An update re my RFT experience - had 4 new tyres put on my Rav4 T180 on 20th February at Set Tyres in Bexhill Road St Leonards On Sea/Hastings. Each tyre including VAT & fitting etc total 205.00. This is very reasonable - these are speed rated tyres and I have paid the same for decent tyres on other vehicles. I also bought a second hand wheel and tyre of eBay - I kept the best tyre taken of the Rav4 when they changed the tyres for the spare. If I am going long distance or towing my track bikes I load the spare wheel in the back. Problem solved for me!!

• 2 months later...

I drove 40 miles to Micheldever tyres today to have two Runflats fitted. Both front tyres were worn on outside edge while centre panel had more than 5mm tread remaining. I was quoted £360.74 inc fitting, VAT, carcus disposal etc by e:mail. I had called around a couple of others and this was best price. When I called to confirm they said I needed a premium bay which cost an extra £5. When fitted the tracking needed checking £30 and the rear alignment needed adjustment £23 (apparently maladjusted from factory). All in £418 for two front tyres!!

Took 2 hours to fit.

I drove 40 miles to Micheldever tyres today to have two Runflats fitted. Both front tyres were worn on outside edge while centre panel had more than 5mm tread remaining. I was quoted £360.74 inc fitting, VAT, carcus disposal etc by e:mail. I had called around a couple of others and this was best price. When I called to confirm they said I needed a premium bay which cost an extra £5. When fitted the tracking needed checking £30 and the rear alignment needed adjustment £23 (apparently maladjusted from factory). All in £418 for two front tyres!!

Took 2 hours to fit.

That doesn’t sound too bad! What tyre did they fit? Was it the Bridgestone? I don’t live far from Micheldever tyres so will give them a call when I next need tyres (probably in the next couple of months)

With respect, I doubt very much that the rear tracking left the factory in anything other than perfect condition.

It's not the price that I'm concerned about, although they could be cheaper!! It's the inconvenience of only having a couple of fitters to choose from, and only being able to have a tyre replaced during the week, having to wait days for an appointment etc etc. I'd (begrudgingly) be willing pay £205 a tyre fitted, if I could have it done immediately at Kwikfit (or whatever), rather than one of the Toyota dealerships, which is the only choice I have around here.

It's not the price that I'm concerned about, although they could be cheaper!! It's the inconvenience of only having a couple of fitters to choose from, and only being able to have a tyre replaced during the week, having to wait days for an appointment etc etc. I'd (begrudgingly) be willing pay £205 a tyre fitted, if I could have it done immediately at Kwikfit (or whatever), rather than one of the Toyota dealerships, which is the only choice I have around here.

we have been thinking of changing our 4.2 rav but this run flat thing is a joke all the other suv's that we have tested have a spare wheel all be it a space saver.

What do you guys think of the VW Tiguan will it be reliable ???

In my opinion, German engineering is eclipsed by Japanese but even so that question is pretty well impossible to answer. For sure the VW isn't a nail but you can get a good or bad one of anything.

Do you mean you are thinking of a brand new vehicle or second hand? You can get a good 4.3 with a spare and there are other solutions regarding punctures. Only T180/SR180s had RFTs.

Maybe you could get some info from a VW forum but before you jump ship be sure to consider all aspects. Is a timing belt job on a Tiguan going to cost more than the inconvenience of not having a spare?

If you are buying new don't forget that a RAV now has a 5 year warranty.

What is the position with the latest rav tyres the ones with the repair kit.

If you get a puncture assuming it's in the tread and not the side wall can it be fixed like a standard tyre ie can the gunge be removed?

When the tyres are shot can you fit any tyre of the same size and still use the gunge, also how much is a new can of gunge.

Is it easy to buy a space saver to fit the rav and if so how much are they.

Sorry for so many questions but i was about to order a tiguan but realy want a rav. I just need to know the facts about these tyres.

Many thanks

What is the position with the latest rav tyres the ones with the repair kit.

If you get a puncture assuming it's in the tread and not the side wall can it be fixed like a standard tyre ie can the gunge be removed?

When the tyres are shot can you fit any tyre of the same size and still use the gunge, also how much is a new can of gunge.

Is it easy to buy a space saver to fit the rav and if so how much are they.

Sorry for so many questions but i was about to order a tiguan but realy want a rav. I just need to know the facts about these tyres.

Many thanks

Hi Oriana

Frankly, there are a lot of potential issues with the 'gunge'

If you read the manual, it is quite a palaver to get the stuff into the tyre and the puncture sealed. Personally wouldn't fancy doing it on a dark wet night in the countryside or on a motorway hard shoulder for that matter :eek:

With regard to removing the gunge for a repair, tyre fitters don't seem too keen [at least the ones I've spoken to]- issues with getting it clean enough to make a sound repair apparently.

As far as I know, there is no appropriate spacesaver available. I believe Toyota do sell a full size steel wheel for a spare though - Kingo may like to confirm?

The tyres are standard but there don't seem to be too many options on make at the particular size needed.

Several members, myself included, have sourced a spare original alloy or aftermarket one and either keep it in the load area stood up or flat, or just carry it for longer journeys LINK - see DaveM's solution. I believe member Three5 has his in a very neat flat container.

I keep mine in a wheel bag laid flat.

Hope that is of some help :thumbsup:

Another member came up with this idea. Watch the clip on youtube;

http://www.suretyres.co.uk/page17.html

Its a good solution for an onsite repair away from the walls until you can get it vulcanised rather than ruin the tyre with gunk.

We only ever hear of the negatives of the Runflats. I too had concerns about the availabilty when travelling on holiday. When I got all 4 replaced I kept the best tyre with 3mm of tread left and take this with me in the roof box. But I had an experience of the Runflats a few weeks ago. 60 miles from home, in the hills in pouring rain with it getting darker the tyre warning light came on. A quick look showed a nail in the front driver side tyre, I drove home, got tyre sorted next day. No messing around changing tyres in the rain etc. A bit longer to get home but, hey, the system worked.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same concerns before buying my t180, spoke to micheldever tyres and asked if they will repair a punture on this tyre, answere was yes £54 . So just because you get a punture doesnt mean the tyre needs replacing.

Hope this helps

mart :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links