Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iphone 4 Signal Fault Leaves Apple 'stunned' For Error

Raistlin

_48237095_jobsiphone.jpg

Apple says a significant fault on its new iPhone 4 is causing it to incorrectly display the phone's signal.

Users who gripped the phone on the lower left-hand side noticed the signal strength and reception fell away.

Apple says the problem relates to an error on how the signal bars are displayed, promising a patch fix "within a few weeks" and adding that users can get a full refund within 30 days of purchase if needed.

The iPhone 4 went on sale on 24 June.

In a statement, Apple said the iPhone 4 had been "the most successful product launch in Apple's history" and that all phones gripped in "certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars".

"We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising," the statement read.

"Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong.

"Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays two more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display four bars when we should be displaying as few as two bars.

"Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying four or five bars.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place."

Another way

Apple said it was going to adopt AT&T's formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength.

The theory now is that, once the patch update has been applied, iPhone's bars will report signal strength "far more accurately" providing users a better indication of the reception in a given area.

Apple said the new software to fix this would be released in a few weeks, claiming that as the problem also existed in the original iPhone, it would also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

_48166277_iphone4gap.jpg The iPhone 4 integrates the antenna into the case However, there have been few - if any - complaints about older iPhones losing signal strength when held in a certain way.

Apple's previous advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal was to not place your hand on the lower left corner.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

This latest approach is an unusual admission from the company, which has apologised for "any anxiety we may have caused".

The iPhone 4 went on sale on in June, with hundreds of people queuing Apple's flagship stores across the globe.

Many new owners reported that signal strength dropped when the phone was held.

The casing of Apple's latest phone is made of stainless steel, and also serves as its antenna.

The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area.

Apple sells a rubber "bumper" that shields the sensitive area, as do many other firms.

When Mr Jobs introduced the iPhone 4 at Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, he described the integrated antenna as "really cool engineering".

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• Parts-King

• KPARRIS-JONES

"The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area."

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, :drool::bash::naughty: Lucky phones ! :lol2:

"The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area."

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, drool.gifbash.gifnaughty.gif Lucky phones ! lol.gif

Gives a whole new meaning to ringing yourself... censored.gifeek.gif

gripping stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard the response from Apple and thought.... this company is full of censored.gif

I am so glad I do not own any rubbish items they manufactureyahoo.gif

The iPhone 4 reception issue is quickly blossoming into a hardware issue that is on the same scale as the Xbox 360 red ring of death. After finally publicly admitting that there is a known issue that results in signal degradation, which supposedly can be fixed by a software update, Apple has reversed track and said that it cannot be fixed by the Apple software update.

After contacting AppleCare three separate times, Gizmodo was able to confirm, via Apple Care support, that the update will not fix the issue. Apple said "the incoming software update will not fix this antenna problem, only change the way the phone displays the available signal, make it more accurate".

Although everyone seemed to already know that this was the issue, this is the first time we have heard Apple directly say that the software update will not fix the root of the problem. In essence, they are admitting that they have a design flaw.

How Apple will finally amend the issue is still unknown. They could provide all users a free bumper case or allow for extended return time, but you can be sure that Apple is probably working up something that will hopefully appease most users. Let's not forget either; Apple has a substantial pile of cash in its bank accounts so this issue will not topple the Apple empire but it does represent a rare failure for the corporation.

It is interesting that not one person in the testing team noted the issue with the phone and not one journalist who reviewed the phone pointed this out. What does this tell us about the quality of the design/test team at Apple and the usefulness of any gadget review?

I'm not technologically minded at all, but I have always worked on the principle that I don't buy any new product until it has been a year or two on the Market. By then, any flaws & drawbacks have been discovered & sorted & usually the price has come down greatly :thumbsup:

That's why the dweebs and the must have's are so pathetic, Steve Jobs banks on this catchment for his bottom line.

I could do that,

For Sale - a phone that you can't hold without stuffing the signal due to a crap design, vastly overpriced - a thousand suicidal underpaid workers can't be wrong and is no better that many others on the market.

And yet people still defend it,

Still if I had paid that much money for a faulty phone I wouldn't want my peers to know what a cretin I had been for the sake of fashion, so I would have kept quite as well.

That's why the dweebs and the must have's are so pathetic, Steve Jobs banks on this catchment for his bottom line.

I could do that,

For Sale - a phone that you can't hold without stuffing the signal due to a crap design, vastly overpriced - a thousand suicidal underpaid workers can't be wrong and is no better that many others on the market.

And yet people still defend it,

Still if I had paid that much money for a faulty phone I wouldn't want my peers to know what a cretin I had been for the sake of fashion, so I would have kept quite as well.

I still want one tho.............

What for show....

Dweeb :D

What for show....

Yer, a bit like a Latvian bit of totty, looks great but you would'nt want to own one :lol:

What for show....

Yer, a bit like a Latvian bit of totty, looks great but you would'nt want to own one :lol:

Sez who ? Sez You ? Why ? I wouldn't object or kick one out of my bed for eating biscuits :lol:

Of course, rental is preferable to owning :thumbsup: You can always do a return & trade in if not satisfactory :lol:

Mate, the nearest you will get is pressing your face against the window of the knocking shop... :D

Mate, the nearest you will get is pressing your face against the window of the knocking shop... :D

Bin there , Dun that, & it was a waste of time. :(

Bloody window kept getting steamed up :ffs:

Hello, that's what your tongue is for drool.gif

How unoriginal :wacko: I can think of at least one better use for it than that :lol2:

How unoriginal wacko.gif I can think of at least one better use for it than that lol.gif

Your part time job at the Post Office, stamps counter tongue.gif

How unoriginal wacko.gif I can think of at least one better use for it than that lol.gif

Yup :thumbsup: It pays a wage, though you can get some surprising :eek: flavours if you miss & get the fingers :disgust:

Yup thumbsup.gif It pays a wage, though you can get some surprising eek.gif flavours if you miss & get the fingers disgust.gif

Quick on the old edit there :D

Yup thumbsup.gif It pays a wage, though you can get some surprising eek.gif flavours if you miss & get the fingers disgust.gif

Quick on the old edit there :D

Famous for it :yahoo: & need to be with you lying in wait :ph34r::laughing:

Are you saying that I get some sort of perverse enjoyment out of picking people up on their errors and omissions ...

No wonder I enjoy this forum so much... What a choice :D

• 2 weeks later...

So Apple are holding a news conference today.

What happens if they don't hold it correctly?

Funnily enough, I haven't suffered any signal problems with my iPhone 4, not a flicker when I cover the antenna stripe... :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links