Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Easy Listening

GIDDLEPIN

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• cfc1

• dave.m

Top Posters In This Topic

Jappy, trying not to sound like a codger here but if you grew up in the seventies you would

know this one and many like it. Rock music was really big at the time compared to now. Which

is why there are so many current bands doing covers of seventies songs.

Dave. ;)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

I love this song by Katie Melua - when we were watching Banger Racing today they play music between races and it came on - I hadn't heard it for a while and it reminded me how much I like it.

This is a brilliant thread - the song below is one of my favourites ever - it is the only only song guaranteed to make me cry everytime i hear it - im even blubbing now just listening to it while i write this! :crybaby::rolleyes:

The words are so beautiful and shes a legend - i love 'fast car' aswell

Jappy, trying not to sound like a codger here but if you grew up in the seventies you would

know this one and many like it. Rock music was really big at the time compared to now. Which

Dave. ;)

I know what you are saying but I am pretty cultured when it comes to music, brought up with it and I love music from the 60's onward. Just never heard that one!... was it a hit?

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman is a classic Teg!

Dave. ;)

I know what you are saying but I am pretty cultured when it comes to music, brought up with it and I love music from the 60's onward. Just never heard that one!... was it a hit?

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman is a classic Teg!

Jappy, all the Nazareth songs were big hits, the lead singer Dan McCafferty, had a bit of a cult following. Especially

this side of the border (they were scottish). Kind it puts it into perspective when you think that before top of the pops

ended, you could get a no1 for as little as 1500 records sold. in the 60's and 70's you were looking at hundreds of

thousands to get to no1. Singles were big business.

Dave. ;)

I like to listen to Mike Oldfield's albums a lot on long journeys. It's not exactly easy listening and he doesn't use vocalists very often but I think he's a gifted contemporary composer.

The youth here may not know but Richard Branson's and Mike Oldfield's careers took off when one of Branson's first enterprises led to the formation of Virgin Records. Mike was one of his first sign-ups and although a cult musician when there were few about, Branson got his music heard in all the right places to secure Oldfield's future as an accomplished recording artist. You've probably heard his music more often than you think as he does film scores and such too - remember The Exorcist?

Here's an example of one of his more commercial successes that could be called easy...

I really admire vocalists like Sophie Ellis Bextor who are not afraid to sing with an English accent. I always find that easier on my ears than mock American warblers like Joss Stone. As for our own Mockney singers... I'd best not comment coz I like Northern Soul. In the same vein, I like a lot of the Celtic Rock and Folk vocalists:

I like to listen to Mike Oldfield's albums a lot on long journeys. It's not exactly easy listening and he doesn't use vocalists very often but I think he's a gifted contemporary composer.

The youth here may not know but Richard Branson's and Mike Oldfield's careers took off when one of Branson's first enterprises led to the formation of Virgin Records. Mike was one of his first sign-ups and although a cult musician when there were few about, Branson got his music heard in all the right places to secure Oldfield's future as an accomplished recording artist. You've probably heard his music more often than you think as he does film scores and such too - remember The Exorcist?

Here's an example of one of his more commercial successes that could be called easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOLkPbPCbk

I really admire vocalists like Sophie Ellis Bextor who are not afraid to sing with an English accent. I always find that easier on my ears than mock American warblers like Joss Stone. As for our own Mockney singers... I'd best not comment coz I like Northern Soul. In the same vein, I like a lot of the Celtic Rock and Folk vocalists:

Just had a mental block to the name of it but have you heard the Mike Oldfield CD of his take on traditional celtic and scottish music ?

Its excellent, think it may be called travelling man or something similar, cant find the cd box :rolleyes:

Dave. ;)

Easy listening with meaningful lyrics

Mike and the Mechanics - The Living Years

Tears for Fears - Everybody wants to rule the world- remember listening to this as a kid, over and over

Goo goo dolls - Iris

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire - I always listen to this track when Im a bit down, love it

- remember listening to this as a kid, over and over

Goo goo dolls - Iris

U2 - The Unforgettable Fire - I always listen to this track when Im a bit down, love it

Dale, Mike & The Mechanics, Beggar On A Beach Of Gold. Guaranteed to give you a lift with those lyrics :D

Dave. ;)

I have the most weird tastes in music. Being a sad 70's geezer myself, I have to start off with THE best ever

T Rex, saw them in belle View Manchester 1972 ish, still have two programmes at home

Bowie, 70's stuff is best

Sweet, ever heard the long play "Oxygen"? Magic song!

I even like, Tom Jones, Matt Munro's stuff

And even classical music (Just did a visit to Beethovens birth house in Cologne)

Right up to modern day Kaiser chiefs, Basement jax, Calvin Harris The guy who did the trailer for Eastenders recently

Classic oldie is this Andy Williams song

Kingo, you collection looks as varied as mine.

Dave ;)

Kingo, you collection looks as varied as mine.

Dave ;)

You must be as old as me then Dave............lol.....is it possible?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Just had a mental block to the name of it but have you heard the Mike Oldfield CD of his take on traditional celtic and scottish music ?

Its excellent, think it may be called travelling man or something similar, cant find the cd box :rolleyes:

Dave. ;)

VOYAGER -

A good album with a couple of covers of traditional tunes & lyrics;

Here is an "example" of the title tune

Please don't laugh... I'm sure that the lad in the video gets enough agro from his Mum & Dad about it already... On second thoughts, no, laugh all you want. I'm still p'sing myself so I've no right to ask you not to!

That's the song that made made Rolf Harris cry on live TV a few years back. The song was written by Mike Rutherford just after the loss of his father. Hearing it played in the studio during an interview with Mike himself hit Rolf squarely in the heart as he explained; He could remember grieving over his dad as if it were yesterday right from the start of the song.

I love the song myself - a real tear jerker.

I love the song myself - a real tear jerker

That song reminds me of another tear jerking song from Jerry Rafferty. The lyrics are superb. Written at a time in his life when he was seperating from his wife

Jerry Rafferty. Don't speak of my heart

I love the song myself - a real tear jerker

That song reminds me of another tear jerking song from Jerry Rafferty. The lyrics are superb

Jerry Rafferty. Don't speak of my heart

Cool! I have that album too.

I spent a lot of years out of the country. During that time Baker Street was a big hit. It seems to me that it is the only song of his that made it big-time and that he will be remembered by it. Perhaps he got more air time here with other hits... what do you reckon?

Dave. ;)

VOYAGER -

A good album with a couple of covers of traditional tunes & lyrics;

Here is an "example" of the title tune

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DxIcC4B1g

Please don't laugh... I'm sure that the lad in the video gets enough agro from his Mum & Dad about it already... On second thoughts, no, laugh all you want. I'm still p'sing myself so I've no right to ask you not to!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Wannabe springs to mind :lol::lol::lol:

Yes thats the Cd, excellent stuff.

Dave ;)

That's the song that made made Rolf Harris cry on live TV a few years back. The song was written by Mike Rutherford just after the loss of his father. Hearing it played in the studio during an interview with Mike himself hit Rolf squarely in the heart as he explained; He could remember grieving over his dad as if it were yesterday right from the start of the song.

I love the song myself - a real tear jerker.

First time I heard this was on the 1989 Princes Trust Concert, singing it live with Level 42 as backing group. Plus a childrens choir.

An awesome performance.

Dave ;)

Cool! I have that album too.

I spent a lot of years out of the country. During that time Baker Street was a big hit. It seems to me that it is the only song of his that made it big-time and that he will be remembered by it. Perhaps he got more air time here with other hits... what do you reckon?

Gerry had fantastic results with Baker Street, but he wrote and peformed so many more great songs. I have the album, "Dont speak of my heart" Paul Walters of BBC Radio 2 (RIP) was a lover of the album too, he actually pointed me to the album when I mailed him on another question about G.R. songs, now there was a man who knew his music.......good old Pauly

Level 42. Remarkable bassist and singer, that Mark King. His right thumb was said to be insured by his record company for millions. What's he up to now I wonder. You couldn't keep up that style of playing for very long without risking RSI, I guess.

Let your Flash player run for this site

http://www.level42.com/

Hmmmmmmm, time for another I think :D

Went to see this guy at Glasgow SECC 4 or 5 years ago. Actually I was there by default, I was not a fan and was

very sceptical to say the least (wrong generation for me I thought). Was I in for a shock, this was the best concert

I've ever been to, the guy is a true entertainer.

Definitely one for the ladies, enjoy-

Dave. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links