Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pruis Mkii Reflection

rodi

One day I’ve done about 100 motorway miles doing 75mph and I got 55mpg. The other day I went the same route (done about 100 motorway miles again) doing most of the time 90mph and I got 54mpg.

Reflection: Prius MKII gearbox somehow lowering the engines revs to get best mpg at various speed … I am amazed.

In town I can get 75mpg, but not on motorway … any tips.

Best Regards

Happy Prius MKII owner ;)

Slow down? :thumbsup:

I was just discovering the car and getting ready for Germans motorways … usually I am sticking to the limit.

BTW doing 90 mph, overtaking the others cars and seeing people faces was precious. Looks to me like some people were surprise Prius can do more than 60mpg ;)

Regards

I know. The Prius can sneak up to 90mph+ without much of a warning on a nice stretch of motorway. No revving engine to give the game away. :D

I know. The Prius can sneak up to 90mph+ without much of a warning on a nice stretch of motorway. No revving engine to give the game away. :D

And that's your excuse and you're sticking to it! Not sure plod will buy it thought :wacko:

And that's your excuse and you're sticking to it! Not sure plod will buy it thought :wacko:

lol lol - plod wouldn't believe that a milkfloat can do over 30mph, let alone over 60mpg!!!

(my new one is at the dealers being pdi'd .... should get it Friday... yyiiipppppeeeeeeeee)

Doing 50 - 60mph along the M1 roadworks gives ~58mpg on Gen2. There does not seem to be much fuel savings between 75 and 85-90 but saves a bit at 60. But then if the way is clear ..........

Doing 50 - 60mph along the M1 roadworks gives ~58mpg on Gen2. There does not seem to be much fuel savings between 75 and 85-90 but saves a bit at 60. But then if the way is clear ..........

Thanks, I'll drive at 60mph speed and see the mpg. I noticed driving at 45-50 is giving me 75mpg ;)

In town I can get 75mpg, but not on motorway … any tips.

So far I've been able to get it up to 71.0mpg on a combined journey of which the majority was motorway. Except for the roadworks stretch on M25 west I was doing around 80mph indicated. The key is this gentle pulse-and-glide, so when you reach 80 just ease off a little on the throttle and in a few miles you may be doing 74 and then just ever so gently accelerate again to 80 and ease off again. As the glide happens over several miles it is not really noticeable to anyway, you don't end up like the fools on the road that can't keep their speed. But doing that seems to significantly improve the fuel consumption, before that I was struggling to get it to go above 56mpg.

It is all in the manual ;-)

It is all in the manual ;-)

I don't recall seeing it in my copy of the Gen 2 Owner's manual.

The most detailed howto explanation that I've seen for Pulse & Glide for the Gen 2 is in the following forum (see link below), it includes photos of the MFD and shows what is meant by a no arrows glide.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6624&postcount=1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links