Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Tyres?

Chippy01

My '07 T-Spirit runs on 16" wheels. From what I've read here and on PriusChat that is what it should have.

My present tyres are Bridgestone Turanzas. (195/55 R16 87V's) From what I have read, the Turanzas are OEM.

I know that my fronts are getting a bit thin on the tread and will soon need replacing. While checking them today, I noticed that the two fronts and one of the rears' are ER30's, while the other rear is an ER300.

Question 1. Apart from the different tread pattern, what is the difference between the 30's and the 300's?

Question 2. Are the 300's just a replacement for the 30's or is it a different tyre altogether? I ask this one because the date stamps on the tyres are all within a couple of months of each other.

Question 3. Are the Turanzas an all season tyre, and how do they perform when the temperature drops?

Question 4. Is it worth searching out specific cold weather tyres? Last winter here in Ireland was much the same as it was in the U.K.. Sceptics are predicting a similar winter this year, though I have never seen two (or more) hard winters back to back.

Question 5. What are the alternatives to the Turanzas?

I haven't started any serious searches in my local area tyre shops yet, but I know I'll have to soon.

Having some information in my possession when I go searching will no doubt help me make the right choice.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

A low rolling resistance tyre does help reduce fuel consumption. I've found that not using this type of tyre inceases fuel consumption by about 10%! The Bridgestone version of this is low rolling resistance tyre is 'Ecopia' and this will be printed on the side wall. I'm not sure the difference between the 30 & 300's but I guess they could be pretty similar. Just ensure all the correct speed ratings are the same to that which is recommended.

Others have said Michelin low rolling resistance tyres are pretty good all rounders but I think they're a little more expensive.

Am sure others will advise.

Have a look at Michelin Energy. They do the Energy Saver which is around the same price as a Bridgestone Ecopia and some places have them on offer. My GF has got them on her Yaris. Or the Energy E3A which is a bit more expensive but is more of an all year round tyre so better grip in the wet and winter. If you want winter tyres, have a look at Michelin Alpin A4 which are not only a winter tyre but also low rolling resistance. Do a google to find reviews and price comparisions. Michelin aren't cheap but you do get what you pay for.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links