Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Compressor?

corolla_tsport_54

Hi guys, i haven't posted anything in ages, but thought id put this one out there. about a years ago i owned a corolla t sport 54 plate (my user id) and got itchy feet for mre power so 6 months ago i chopped her in :( and got myself a 2001 impreza turbo with 59000 and full history, since owning the car ive spent (including parents) aroun 4.5 k on the impreza. now i'm considering a swap for a corolla compressor 06 model 29500 miles, lovely condition lightened flywheel uprated clutch and c-one rear brace, what are your thoughts?? i really dont know whether to lose the money and go for it. one of my main reasons for swapping would be fuel consumption/running costs what sort of mpg can you get out of a compressor - i do about 25/30 miles per day. sorry to babble on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corolla_tsport_54

• Clawliger

• reidy

• Bong Water

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i would personally go with the swap mate :thumbsup:

i was thinking that but i keep thinking about all the money ive pumped in and not to mention ahem my parents. i would love the compressor as i adored my t sport, i really am stuck, if only i had the balls to flip a coin!

how much power are you getting out of the scoob ?

if increasing running costs are getting you down ,id go for the swap aswel

hi scoob has just been fully serviced etc at the cost of £900, included in this was a dyno run, it made 228bhp and aroun 210 ft lbs, but ive just fitted a 3"cat back to it after the dyno so could be 1 or 2 more!!! the car does cost a hell of a lot to run normal driving - circa 300 miles per week =£70 + (depending how fun i have been in it!) i really need to know what sort of mpg the compressors get i think at most scoob gets 25!

Similair mpg tbh mate. Plus the compressor wont handle like your scoob does. If its mpg your after, you wont get it from a performance petrol.

fair point, is the compressor alot worse on fuel than the normal t sport then?, as my t sport was just about right for me in terms of mpg, i think tbh i was blinded by prospect of POWERR! as im only 22 and genuinely regret the loss of my tsport but you live and learn, the thing i dont want to do is make the same mistake again!

i think you need to make decision

POWER or Economy

power = stay in the scooby and tune it = smiles

economy = lots of money in your back pocket = sad face when you cold start a diesel

decisions decisions :lol:

You maybe worse off with the comp as the charger is always running as with a turbo it ain't. Just get a tsport and ram loads of dosh into that with n/a uprgrades and new ecu :thumbsup:

just found this

scooby info

EC Combined (mpg)27.7EC

Extra Urban (mpg)35.8EC

Urban (mpg)19.9

corolla compressor info

Combined (mpg) 30.7

Urban (mpg) 22.8

Extra-urban (mpg) 38.7

standard t sport info

(urban) 25.4mpg

(extra urban) 42.1mpg

(combined) 34mpg

now with the scooby i get a bit less than that, and my t sport used to get more - are the compressor stats about right?

Similair mpg tbh mate. Plus the compressor wont handle like your scoob does. If its mpg your after, you wont get it from a performance petrol.

QFA

Wouldn't bother with a Compressor personally though, dealer support for it seems a bit thin on the ground, especially as TTE have gone bump

I've never had 42mpg out of my corolla, so i don't know how that is calculated.

The compressor is a lot more thirsty than the corolla and will be on a part with the subaru. If i was you i'd keep the scoob.

My T sports currently doing 30-31 mpg at the moment (according to the display)

just done the maths and on 10 gallons of fuel i get about 250 miles, which equates to 25mpg from the subaru, i cant remember the size of the tank in the rolla i had but i used to get over 300 miles all the time, because i live in the middle of nowhere i have to drive at least 10 miles to get anywhere, so no urban driving really!

To give you an idea I work in Preston which is about a 30 mile round trip for me each day, it costs me £10 per day roughly in fuel. So you could say that if you drive with a slightly heavy foot ;) then compressors do drink. However if I drive economically I can make that same tenner last a couple of trips.

thats not too bad, going to work i poodled in rolla, but scooby i'm allways overtaking its like a drug! 20 miles in scoob is about a fifth of a tank so about 13/14 quid if you can get 30 miles out of a tenner thats bout right for me!

Sounds like you have a problem to me, buy a car spend a fortune on it and then sell it because you get bored, I should know I used to do it and it got me into a lot of trouble. My advice would be to stick with what you have and stop pumping serious money into cars as to be honest, you might as well set the money on fire, you'll never see it again, assuming of course you can afford it and its not getting you into debt but unfortunately with most people its a problem

Its a problem for me. Lol. Id jut get a normal tsport or equivalent type of car. Anything chatged will allways use more on fuel. Plus the insurance cannot be that cheap in your wrx, especially compared to a t-sport.

lucky im an electrician, so earn enough to fund my addiction! the scooby is £800 odd pounds more to insure than the compressor so instant save aswell! i am also thinking, because of what im like what if in 6 months i should want to trade my car in / sell which one would be better to have, i paid nearly 6k for the impreza 7 months ago and now its worth aroun 4K so hast lost shed loads in 7 months, how much over the next 7?

In the first instance you say you can afford it but you continue to mention about how much you have lost. Its really up to you what you do (obviously) but other than insurance the Corolla wont be that much cheaper to run than the Subaru. the Subaru wont depreciate as rapidly as the Corolla is due to, IE the Subaru has already lost most of its value where as the Corolla put you in the same situation where its due to lose another £2k over the next couple of years and lets be honest, you're going to modify it making it even more of an expense. If money is no object then its no problem however.

that is a good observation! lol, didnt realise it had been written like that!. i really think i should go compressor if i can live with losing the money ive spent (although it has not caused me to get into any sort of debt - its from a moral standpoint) the best car i have ever owned was the t sport and only got rid of it because im insane! so i figure the compressor is a bit of a power hike above my old ts, still the same luxury etc, but nowhere near as expensive as scoob to insure etc. i can afford the scoob its i wiant to make cut backs and actually put some money into the bank now as i really ought to think a bit further ahead than my cars future!

I'm in a similar trade (fire/security systems) and I use my company van for to/from work travel, could you not to do the same? You'll have to pay a contribution for fuel (more than likely cheaper than you scooby) but as long as you don't use it for personal use then you shouldn't get stung by tax on it

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vans/vans-info.pdf

The Subaru puts its power to four wheels and the Corolla to two so the tranmission loss in the Compressor is less so it should be quicker in the dry but the Subaru should be quicker in anything but totally dry conditions

If I could go back I wouldnt have wasted the £££'s I did on buying/selling/modding cars although it was fun at the timem it is a massive regret of mine

i know how you feel about wasting money on cars, us petrol heads seem to have this part of us that thinks hmm what if? if i could turn back time i would still be driving my ts and have like 4.5k in the bank but mistakes are there to be made and you pay hugely for making them! As for using the van for home use - my boss does not allow us to use vans for personal use, because we share vans with other sparkys. another factor is because of the lovely recession, work is drying up and therefore so is money if i dnt use the scoob for a while ok im saving alot on fuel but still have to pay alot on insurance etc, compressor is cheaper on that front. does is sound like im slowly making my mind up? lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links