Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil Question

Roker

I just had my Avensis serviced by my local garage (which was a lot cheaper than Toyota) I like to put a good oil in so I specified Castrol Edge.

I had Castrol Edge for topping up which was a clear colour,even when it was due a service. When I dipped it after the service it was a golden colour.

I know the service guy who is genuine, he told me Castrol has started putting colour in because people could not see it in the dip stick.

Has anyone had experience with this? The engine is a good engine and I would not want to spoil it with bad oil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acetip

• Mistermena

• Daveyonthemove

• Roker

I just had my Avensis serviced by my local garage (which was a lot cheaper than Toyota) I like to put a good oil in so I specified Castrol Edge.

I had Castrol Edge for topping up which was a clear colour,even when it was due a service. When I dipped it after the service it was a golden colour.

I know the service guy who is genuine, he told me Castrol has started putting colour in because people could not see it in the dip stick.

Has anyone had experience with this? The engine is a good engine and I would not want to spoil it with bad oil

Hi Roker,

if you go with this link to a media clip from Castrol it shows the oil being poured into an engine .............. lovely and golden, so no worries mate!:thumbsup:.

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/media

Regards Pete.

Hi Roker,

if you go with this link to a media clip from Castrol it shows the oil being poured into an engine .............. lovely and golden, so no worries mate!:thumbsup:.

Regards Pete.

so is treacle.

Hi Roker,

Regards Pete.

so is treacle.

To Acetip,

Roker asked what colour is Castrol Edge and the video shows it as being golden! So your point is ......... ?? Treacle .....? :unsure:.

Hi Roker,

Regards Pete.

so is treacle.

To Acetip,

Roker asked what colour is Castrol Edge and the video shows it as being golden! So your point is ......... ?? Treacle .....? :unsure:.

he said when he dipped the oil it was a golden colour,you confirmed that the Castrol is a nice golden colour,my point is the colour being golden does not confirm the garage filled his sump with castrol,could be any make of oil.

hence my remark that treacle a nice golden colour.

Thanks all. I don't know what I had if it was clear, but you put my mind at rest, it does not taste like treacle so I am OK

Thanks all. I don't know what I had if it was clear, but you put my mind at rest, it does not taste like treacle so I am OK

hi rocker

when you go to a main dealer you should be able expect that he stocks the correct spec of oil for all engines in the toyota range and the oil is good quality make.

if you go to an independent garage,and as good as they are, they wont have all spec of oil for the many different makes that they may handle.that will include petrol/diesel,turbo/normaly asperated,dmf,etc.they buy their oil in bulk not in cans as they get it cheaper that way.i they are unlikly to be using top of the range like Castrol and Mobil.so when they give your car an oil change it will be near enough is good enough oil they put in.they are not going to run to the nearest Halfords or anywhere else to get a can of oil that has the correct spec for your car.

yes you can ask for a particular oil to be put in your engine and they may well do so,but do you realy know.

as some say if you provide your own oil,do you know if the use it.

other than doing your own servicing,the next best thing for peace of mind is to do your own oil and filter change and let the garage do the rest of the servicing.

thats what i did with my old passat.had an agreement with vw dealer whilst car was still under warranty.also the same with the jetta before it.but had to hunt around the main dealers before i found one to agree to to it.

now doubt the dealer would use correct oil,but i like to let engine to drain over night,plus i always filled the the filter with oil before fitting.the filter very big on both cars and verticly mounted.

a lot dealers let younger trainee staff do servicing,and older skilled staff do repairs etc.not good, but they got to learn (yes on your car).

acetip.

I agree with you, but the main Toyota dealer is 20 mile away, when I asked the local Mitsubishi dealer (1 mile away) what oil he used, he just said the best which not very inspiring.

I know that the local garage where I had the service done used good oil, because he went out and purchased oil and a filter which he would also not stock.

For taking the oil out, he had a tube that goes down the dipstick hole and a vacuum chamber to suck it out, I think this is standard equipment in most places now.

acetip.

I agree with you, but the main Toyota dealer is 20 mile away, when I asked the local Mitsubishi dealer (1 mile away) what oil he used, he just said the best which not very inspiring.

I know that the local garage where I had the service done used good oil, because he went out and purchased oil and a filter which he would also not stock.

For taking the oil out, he had a tube that goes down the dipstick hole and a vacuum chamber to suck it out, I think this is standard equipment in most places now.

it seems you found a good garage,and you are happy.which what counts.

some cars ate produced without a sump drain plug.i still like to let oil drain overnight.but what ever method is used not all the oil is going to be removed. anything up to a quart is left in with some engines.thats why i dont beleave in flushing oils which are just detergents and not lubricants.so when you drain it out whats still in your engine is contaminatig the oil you put in.

Mobil 1 ESP is what I use for my T-180 as Castrol Edge (5w-30) wasn't upto the spec for the D-CAT on my car. Shame is I've got loads of EDGE oil that I bought from Costco when it was offer...

Look at the advert in previous post from t-spritipete. It say that Edge has better wear protection than Mobil 1 by 8 x.

Make your own decision on that.

Look at the advert in previous post from t-spritipete. It say that Edge has better wear protection than Mobil 1 by 8 x.

when i first joined the toc last year i saw a post from a chap in i beleave holland,about his and his friends auris 180 diesels.they found that when using Castrol edge after an oil change after so many klms there engines needed topping up.when changing to Mobil esp they could go through to the service without any need to top up.

jaguar started using Castrol professional oil,simular to what some toyota dealers use but with jaguar spec.this oil was in short supply and the dealers had not been supplied with it.but the cars had it in them from the factory.customers were advised if their sumps needed topping up to use Castrol magnetic.and under no circumstances to use castrol edge.

neither magnetic or edge is the correct oil for engines with a DPF.the hand book page 276 staates use acea C2.which magnetic and edge is not.manetec professiona is but you cnnot purchase it.

this subject has been discused before on this forum and castrol has cnfirmed suitability or otherwise of thrir oils for use with DMF fitted vehicles.as to castrol being a superior oil to Mobil is wishfull thinking.you may think i am anti castrol well many years ago i purchased a can of castrol GRANDE PRIX sae 50 for my motor bike but it was not sae 50 but castrolite sae 20.took it back to m/cycle shop and they agreed and changed can.i wrote to castrol for an explanation but they never

replied.castrol a good oil bt there are better ones.

YOU ARE WATCHING AN ADVERT DO BELEAVE ALL YOU READ.

when i first joined the toc last year i saw a post from a chap in i beleave holland,about his and his friends auris 180 diesels.they found that when using Castrol edge after an oil change after so many klms there engines needed topping up.when changing to Mobil esp they could go through to the service without any need to top up.

jaguar started using Castrol professional oil,simular to what some toyota dealers use but with jaguar spec.this oil was in short supply and the dealers had not been supplied with it.but the cars had it in them from the factory.customers were advised if their sumps needed topping up to use Castrol magnetic.and under no circumstances to use castrol edge.

neither magnetic or edge is the correct oil for engines with a DPF.the hand book page 276 staates use acea C2.which magnetic and edge is not.manetec professiona is but you cnnot purchase it.

this subject has been discused before on this forum and castrol has cnfirmed suitability or otherwise of thrir oils for use with DMF fitted vehicles.as to castrol being a superior oil to Mobil is wishfull thinking.you may think i am anti castrol well many years ago i purchased a can of castrol GRANDE PRIX sae 50 for my motor bike but it was not sae 50 but castrolite sae 20.took it back to m/cycle shop and they agreed and changed can.i wrote to castrol for an explanation but they never

replied.castrol a good oil bt there are better ones.

I agree with what you've said. Castrol EDGE does not meet the C2 standard for the DPF as Mobil 1 ESP does. Even though they both meet the latest VW 507 00 spec's. I looked long and hard to find out this info, contacting Castrol and finally Opie Oils. It was Tim there who looked into it further for me and confirmed that EDGE is not upto the spec.

Well done Opie Oils is what I have to say for there time and expertise...

Acetip:

My Avensis did not use any oil between service last done by a Toyota dealer. It will be interesting to see what happens with Edge. If I thought it would do harm I would change it, what oil do you recommend?

Acetip:

My Avensis did not use any oil between service last done by a Toyota dealer. It will be interesting to see what happens with Edge. If I thought it would do harm I would change it, what oil do you recommend?

hi roker

my choice is Mobil i ESP 5w 30.i got mine at ASDA as a lot cheaper there than most places.dont know if they still have it on offer.but only then available at the main super markets.i am not saying there is anything wrong with Castrol at all.but if you have a diesel car with a DPF,then neither magnetic or edge is suitable.if it does not say ACEA 2 on the can, then it should not be used.but no doubt there are owners who use it and have no troubles.the only Castrol thats ok is magnatec professional C2 and this is only provided to the motor trade,by Castrol.strange but true.

Acetip:

hi roker

my choice is Mobil i ESP 5w 30.i got mine at ASDA as a lot cheaper there than most places.dont know if they still have it on offer.but only then available at the main super markets.i am not saying there is anything wrong with Castrol at all.but if you have a diesel car with a DPF,then neither magnetic or edge is suitable.if it does not say ACEA 2 on the can, then it should not be used.but no doubt there are owners who use it and have no troubles.the only Castrol thats ok is magnatec professional C2 and this is only provided to the motor trade,by Castrol.strange but true.

ASDA no longer stock Mobil 1 ESP. They now only stock Castrol oils and there own brands. I went in there befor Christmas to buy some as it was so much cheaper than anywhere else at £32 for a 5ltr can. I went to my local Halfords and asked them if they would match the ASDA price, which they did. There was also an offer on that if you bought Mobil 1 you got a free brollie worth £29.99!!!(never worth that much lol) So I bought 4 containers of the mobil 1, and use the free gifts as stocking fillers...

Acetip:

hi roker

ASDA no longer stock Mobil 1 ESP. They now only stock Castrol oils and there own brands. I went in there befor Christmas to buy some as it was so much cheaper than anywhere else at £32 for a 5ltr can. I went to my local Halfords and asked them if they would match the ASDA price, which they did. There was also an offer on that if you bought Mobil 1 you got a free brollie worth £29.99!!!(never worth that much lol) So I bought 4 containers of the mobil 1, and use the free gifts as stocking fillers...

good idea,must have been big stockings though.

Acetip:

hi roker

Lol... Well my big sis has very long legs!

Acetip:

hi roker

do you know where mobil esp can be obtained at a discount price now that asda no longer stock it.some placs are asking £49.99 for 5 ltrs.

Acetip:

hi roker

do you know where mobil esp can be obtained at a discount price now that asda no longer stock it.some placs are asking £49.99 for 5 ltrs.

Hiya... If you look at this seller on Ebay-Seller information

Member ID gogerty123

He is selling new Mobil 1 ESP (10ltr) for £61.50 delivered! Oh happy days :-)

He's always selling these on eBay...

Mobil 1 5-30 Fully Synthetic ESP 5w-30 10 litres

Item condition: New

Ended: 16 Jan, 201122:10:04 GMT (Item number: 250757592833)

Sold for: £53.00

Acetip:

hi roker

Member ID gogerty123

hi mistermena.

thanks for that.will check them out.

Acetip:

hi roker

Member ID gogerty123

hi again mistermena

had seargh on eBay under mobil oils/engine oilss/5w 30 oils,but cant find this seller.what search did you do to find the ESP.is there you can search for a sellers name on eBay.

Acetip, if you search the eBay number (250757592833) it should take you to one of his auctions, then click on the sellers name and you should be able to find other items he sells.

Acetip, if you search the ebay number (250757592833) it should take you to one of his auctions, then click on the sellers name and you should be able to find other items he sells.

Yep... Couldn't have said it better myself. I just did a search for Mobil 1 ESP and found this seller. I've added his shop so I get updates on what he's got for sale. Its a really good deal for 10ltr of the stuff! and in the brand new containers to...

Acetip, if you search the ebay number (250757592833) it should take you to one of his auctions, then click on the sellers name and you should be able to find other items he sells.

thanks again,please excuse an old wrinklies lack of expertese.its no fun getting old.

but then there is the free bus pass.when i am past driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links