Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil Question

Roker

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acetip

• Mistermena

• Daveyonthemove

• Roker

No problem, not everything is straight forward for everyone.

thanks all.

found it ok now. the 10 ltr offer has finished.wonder why the green cap ESP is cheaper than the gold cap ESP.

the spec seems same.maybe just earlier packaging.will keep eye on seller to see if anymore great offers.still got a couple off 5ltr cans stored away.thanks once more for the help.

thanks all.

found it ok now. the 10 ltr offer has finished.wonder why the green cap ESP is cheaper than the gold cap ESP.

the spec seems same.maybe just earlier packaging.will keep eye on seller to see if anymore great offers.still got a couple off 5ltr cans stored away.thanks once more for the help.

I'd email the seller and see if he'll do the same deal for you. My guess is that he will! Or go down to your local Halfords and se if they'll match the ASDA price of £32. They prob don't know that they don't sell it anymore. My Cardiff branch just said ok and did it for me. A sale is a sale at the end of the day...

thanks all.

I'd email the seller and see if he'll do the same deal for you. My guess is that he will! Or go down to your local Halfords and se if they'll match the ASDA price of £32. They prob don't know that they don't sell it anymore. My Cardiff branch just said ok and did it for me. A sale is a sale at the end of the day...

thanks,thats a good idea,will give it a try.

thanks all.

hi all

e.mailed our man as suggested, but got no reply.but the offers back on e.bay,at same price, so have brought it.

maakes you think what kind of profit they make when selling it.10 ltrs would cost near £100 at Halfords he is selling for £53.

Thats a great deal!

The only thing stopping me from doing the same is the head gasket. I want to have every service item and stamp done by the dealer just in case i'm one of the rare ones with a head gasket issue in the future.

The saving on servicing would easily be wiped out if Toyota refused to cover the head gasket over a simple service.

thanks all.

hi all

e.mailed our man as suggested, but got no reply.but the offers back on e.bay,at same price, so have brought it.

maakes you think what kind of profit they make when selling it.10 ltrs would cost near £100 at Halfords he is selling for £53.

Happy days mate. Now thats what I call a deal. And what a great product to... :toast:

Thats a great deal!

The only thing stopping me from doing the same is the head gasket. I want to have every service item and stamp done by the dealer just in case i'm one of the rare ones with a head gasket issue in the future.

The saving on servicing would easily be wiped out if Toyota refused to cover the head gasket over a simple service.

Is the car under warranty? They can't say that Mobil 1 isn't upto spec! :ffs:

Warranty expires in March this year, and it doesn't have to be the oil spec that is the issue, it could simply be the service done outside of the dealership.

To give an example, i took a policy with 'warranty direct' a couple of years ago on my Fabia vRS, and at the time the policy was taken out i was aksed about servicing etc. All the servicing had been done, the most recent one being a 60k service with cambelt change. At 65k the gearbox packed in, and i contacted warranty direct to get it sorted. Because i had my car serviced by a new company who consisted of two Skoda/VW master technicians that had not VAT registered their company, they refused to pay out, despite using all genuine parts and being worked on by two very professional technicians. I approached Skoda for help, and was informed that if the last service had been done by them and had a Skoda stamp in the book, they would have covered 80% of the costs as good will gesture.

Sadly i used a cheaper but equally as good company, and had to find £1500 as the flywheel was in need of replacement at the same time.

So for me, a few extra quid at service time might save me thousands in the future.

Warranty expires in March this year, and it doesn't have to be the oil spec that is the issue, it could simply be the service done outside of the dealership.

To give an example, i took a policy with 'warranty direct' a couple of years ago on my Fabia vRS, and at the time the policy was taken out i was aksed about servicing etc. All the servicing had been done, the most recent one being a 60k service with cambelt change. At 65k the gearbox packed in, and i contacted warranty direct to get it sorted. Because i had my car serviced by a new company who consisted of two Skoda/VW master technicians that had not VAT registered their company, they refused to pay out, despite using all genuine parts and being worked on by two very professional technicians. I approached Skoda for help, and was informed that if the last service had been done by them and had a Skoda stamp in the book, they would have covered 80% of the costs as good will gesture.

Sadly i used a cheaper but equally as good company, and had to find £1500 as the flywheel was in need of replacement at the same time.

So for me, a few extra quid at service time might save me thousands in the future.

Yer it does say on a lot of the policy's that it has to be serviced at a VAT reg garage (they will try anything to get out of paying). And most are saying that you have to have the service done every 6 months or 6000 mile intervals! Strange when most cars dont need to be serviced for around 10k! Not that I would leave oil in for that amount of time anyway, especially on a Diesel...

Thats a great deal!

nothing stopping you supplying your own oil.my local dealership (TOYOTA)are happy for me to supply ESP.they sid no problems.

Yes, the policy stated that the car was to be serviced at VAT registered garages, but i thought (as have many others) that it would apply to future servicing whilst covered by the warranty, not past servicing before the policy.

I got a full refund after a battle, but if i'd paid a bit more for that Skoda dealer stamp, the cost would have been far less for that repair, and that is the reason i would not risk it on my current car.

Once bitten...

Thats a great deal!

nothing stopping you supplying your own oil.my local dealership (TOYOTA)are happy for me to supply ESP.they sid no problems.

Yes you are right, but the saving over each service doesn't really warrant the effort in my case.

I'm happy to maintain my car as much as required and let the dealer do the service side of things, and if it goes wrong they are the ones responsible, and i would hate to have them refuse a claim because 'customer provided oil' just to save a few quid.

It works for some, but for me i'm not risking the slightest possibility of a rejected claim.

:thumbsup:

Yes, the policy stated that the car was to be serviced at VAT registered garages, but i thought (as have many others) that it would apply to future servicing whilst covered by the warranty, not past servicing before the policy.

I got a full refund after a battle, but if i'd paid a bit more for that Skoda dealer stamp, the cost would have been far less for that repair, and that is the reason i would not risk it on my current car.

Once bitten...

I totally understand Davey... You pays your money and takes your chance. Sometimes just having the service done at the dealer gives you alot more clout! But I'd still take my Mobil 1 ESP and tell them to put that in and take off the price of the oil they would have used! But I would have it written (or better still printed) on the invoive that Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 was use in the service.

The reason why I say that is because I had a Volvo T5 Estate that I took to the main dealer and took my own oil to be used. I had a problem with the car after and they tried to make out it was the wrong oil! which it wasn't. In the end I had to get the oil analysed to prove it was the right spec for the car, befor they would sort out the problem. Even though the problem wasn't anything to do with the engine!!! :censor: :ffs: :censor:

Thats a great deal!

had my auris serviced by local mr t,took in my own oil Mobil esp.they said no problem.they use Mobil super 3000 5w 30 P.so cant say that Mobil not up to it as esp covers toyota spec for my engine.you have to buy the oil in the first place but you can get it for less than the dealer charges you for a oil.go for it dave.you know it makes sense as they say

Thats a great deal!

had my auris serviced by local mr t,took in my own oil Mobil esp.they said no problem.they use Mobil super 3000 5w 30 P.so cant say that Mobil not up to it as esp covers toyota spec for my engine.you have to buy the oil in the first place but you can get it for less than the dealer charges you for a oil.go for it dave.you know it makes sense as they say

But how much did you save?

Not sure if you read my other posts, but i explained my reasons.

When the car is a bit older and covered treble the current mileage without issue then i would look to do my own servicing, but with less than 20k on the clock i plan to keep Mr T happy for a while just in case :thumbsup:

Thats a great deal!

But how much did you save?

Not sure if you read my other posts, but i explained my reasons.

When the car is a bit older and covered treble the current mileage without issue then i would look to do my own servicing, but with less than 20k on the clock i plan to keep Mr T happy for a while just in case :thumbsup:

not sure what the dealer would have charged for their oil.i paid £32 for 5 ltrs ESP at ASDA.handed them the unopened container and they gave it back to me with just under a ltr in it.i am sure they would have charged more for their oil.

i understand about having it serviced at a toyota dealer so supporting the warranty,but i thought we were discussing ones own preference of the oil going into the engine.i was not providing the oil as a means of reducing the bill,but wanted an oil that i was comfortable with.it seems toyota dealers are left to provide what oils they like as lomg as it meets toyota spec.some are using 5w 40 instead of 5w 30.unlike Ford dealers seem who use ford oils (moobil)at least when i had one.

• 3 weeks later...

I put in my engine Motul 300V Power Racing 5W30.

East much quieter engine than the Mobil1 0W40 which I used until now.

for those of us without DPFs up until 9th Feb Tesco is selling fully synthetic 5W30 Castrol Magnatec A1/B1 A5/B5 for £16/4L.

for those of us without DPFs up until 9th Feb Tesco is selling fully synthetic 5W30 Castrol Magnatec A1/B1 A5/B5 for £16/4L.

its ok if you have an engine thats takes 4ltr or less.but engines that need more its means buying extra.

but most oils are now in a choice of 4 or 5ltr,and i ltre,

anyway heidfirst its a good find.

nice one.

its ok if you have an engine thats takes 4ltr or less.but engines that need more its means buying extra.

says the man who bought 10L of Mobil 1 ... :P

As you say though you can't buy the exact amount (6.4l incl. filter for my car iirc) anyway so if you buy 8l you get left with some in case you need a between service top up.

I just had my Avensis serviced by my local garage (which was a lot cheaper than Toyota) I like to put a good oil in so I specified Castrol Edge.

I had Castrol Edge for topping up which was a clear colour,even when it was due a service. When I dipped it after the service it was a golden colour.

I know the service guy who is genuine, he told me Castrol has started putting colour in because people could not see it in the dip stick.

Has anyone had experience with this? The engine is a good engine and I would not want to spoil it with bad oil

service centres have a tank or tanks for oil as they buy in bulk loads much cheaper you are in your rights to ask to see what oil they have in there tanks other wise how are you to no whats in them. Toyota i use for our prius have gone from Castrol edge to mobile something. I think you should contact Castrol and find out if a pigment has been added but at the end of the day you will still see a wet mark on the dip stick plus even with cheap brands when i had a old avensis was gold going in but clear on dip stick. Would look into it but im sure your regular service place is perfectly genuine and trustworthy, hope this helps

says the man who bought 10L of Mobil 1 ... :P

As you say though you can't buy the exact amount (6.4l incl. filter for my car iirc) anyway so if you buy 8l you get left with some in case you need a between service top up.

yes 10 ltr as ive my wifes car to maintain as well.like to make a comment on that too.

yes 10 ltr as ive my wifes car to maintain as well.like to make a comment on that too.

perhaps the same holds true for me & others as well then?

You can't have it both ways. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links