Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bit Of Research

jaxx

Right,

not sure I have what you wanted but here goes

Prius 04 T4, Nov 03 onwards, 5 door, 1500cc VVTi Hybrid drive

Engine type (on one of the maifolds and on a sticker entitled "Service Information") 1NZ-FXE

Chassis number begins JTDKB20

Model Number on door pillar NHW 20R

Right - a bit of research shows:

Chassis: HW2 or HW20 (haven't worked out which yet)

Petrol engine: 1NZ-FXE (like you said)

Electric engine: 3CM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yannick

• jaxx

• RedAE102

• Pete3S-FE

aswell as the 96-2000 starlet ep91 there was the np90 and the ep95..

one of them denotews a fourwheel drive version..will try and be more specific

Allow me to make my contribution. I have a 1993 Corolla DX 1.8 saloon, an AE102 with a 7A-FE and a 5-speed. This is a compilation of my own research on Corollas... I have classified them into their specific generations. When it comes to model ranges as vast as the Corolla, the model code has only to do with engine and drive type, and not body style (with a few exceptions). If you find an error or omission, please let me know.

First, the E10 generation. As a rule, all numbers 106 and above are vans and business wagons (not to be confused with estates and touring wagons... vans and business wagons were predominantly a JDM affair, with the former being cheapened stripper wagons, and the latter being slightly less spartan vans, though they looked essentially the same and there is little differentiation). As always, there are a few exceptions to this rule, and those seem to mainly be early vans. Models with an asterisk (*) are still uncertain. In Japan, the 106-109 vans were sold alongside more modern E11 models, as there was no E11 van, only wagons. As a secondary note, the only E11 wagon in Japan was the Sprinter Carib (which there was no E10 variant... Caribs went from E9--->E11, overlapping the E10 models), while heavily facelifted E10 Touring Wagons continued to be sold at least through 2001.

AE100: 1.5 5A-FE

AE101: 1.6 4A-FE, 4A-GE 20V silvertop, 4A-GE 20V blacktop, 4A-GZE

AE102: 1.8 7A-FE

AE103: 1.8 7A-FE 4WD (details on this model are scarce, seems to be a rare European wagon)

AE104: 1.6 4A-FE 4WD

*AE105: 1.8 7A-FE 4WD (as of right now, I do not think this exists)

*AE109: 1.6 4A-FE 4WD van/business wagon

CE100: 2.0 2C diesel

CE101: 2.2 3C-E diesel

CE102: 2.2 3C-E diesel van/business wagon

CE104: 2.0 2C diesel 4WD

CE105: 2.2 3C-E diesel 4WD van/business wagon

*CE106: 2.0 2C diesel van/business wagon

*CE107: 2.2 3C-E diesel van/business wagon

*CE108: 2.0 2C diesel 4WD van/business wagon

*CE109: 2.2 3C-E diesel 4WD van/business wagon

EE100: 1.3 2E, 2E-E SOHC 12-valve

EE101: 1.3 4E-FE (it's not uncommon to find people calling these cars 1.4)

EE102: 1.3 4E-FE van/business wagon

EE103: 1.5 5E-FE van/business wagon

EE104: 1.5 5E-FE 4WD van/business wagon

*EE106: 1.3 4E-FE van/business wagon

*EE107: 1.5 5E-FE van/business wagon

*EE108: 1.5 5E-FE 4WD van/business wagon

Keep in mind that common models such as AE101 can be a great many things. The AE101, depending upon where you are, can be a simple Corolla saloon, estate, 3 or 5 door hatchback (such as Corolla FX), 5-door liftback, Touring Wagon, a Corolla Levin or Sprinter Trueno with a high-powered GE/GZE variant, a Sprinter wagon, or a Corolla Ceres or Sprinter Marino 4-door pillared hardtop saloon. It's what comes after the basic model code that differentiates them.

And onto the E11s.

AE110: 1.5 5A-FE

AE111: 1.6 4A-FE, 4A-GE 20V blacktop

AE112: 1.8 7A-FE

AE114: 1.6 4A-FE 4WD

AE115: 1.8 7A-FE 4WD

CDE110: 2.0 1CD-FTV D-4D common-rail turbodiesel

CE110: 2.0 2C diesel

CE111: 2.2 3C-E diesel

CE114: 2.0 2C diesel 4WD

EE111: 1.3 4E-FE

WZE110: 1.9 1WZ diesel

ZZE110: 1.8 1ZZ-FE

ZZE111: 1.4 4ZZ-FE

ZZE112: 1.6 4ZZ-FE

and the E12s:

CDE120: 2.0 1CD-FTV Common rail, direct injection turbo diesel

CE121: 2.2 3C-E Diesel

NZE120: 1.3 2NZ-FE

NZE121: 1.5 1NZ-FE

NZE124: 1.5 1NZ-FE 4WD

ZZE120: 1.4 4ZZ-FE

ZZE121: 1.6 3ZZ-FE

ZZE122: 1.8 1ZZ-FE

ZZE123: 1.8 2ZZ-GE

ZZE124: 1.8 1ZZ-FE 4WD

I have a wealth of otherwise useless knowledge on these cars (specifically E10/E11 cars), so if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me at RedAE102@sbcglobal.net.

Edited by RedAE102

To this, I shall add:

With Toyota model codes, another letter is substituted to differentiate another model with the same chassis code (single letter). For example, an SV20 Camry (second generation) is not the same as an SXV20. For two letter engine codes, a C is substituted for the Z in the "second" series off a single model code. Example: MCX10 Avalon... on the Camry platform, so it certainly is not a Cressida/Chaser/Mark II/Cresta, which is the main X chassis (GX90, et. al.). Another example is the Altezza/Lexus IS, which uses an E chassis code like the Corolla, but is obviously not a FWD Corolla. 3S-GE---> SXE10, 2JZ-GE---> JCE10, and so forth. I believe that in this case, because of the hybrid drivetrain, an H was used in lieu of a C in the model code, thus 1NZ-FXE---> NHW20 (similarly, a Mk. I Prius would be NHW10). Only time will tell what happens when Toyota's new family of GR V6s for applications is added to the mix.

Allow me to make my contribution.

Wow - you have made a contribution! Thanks!!

:thumbsup:

Now, I just need to work out when these were available (on a worldwide scale) for my chronology :lol:

Seriously though, if you have the year info available, could you PM me?

Allow me to make my contribution.

Wow - you have made a contribution! Thanks!!

Now, I just need to work out when these were available (on a worldwide scale) for my chronology :lol:

Seriously though, if you have the year info available, could you PM me?

On a worldwide scale, E10s were sold from 1991-2001 in one place or another. In Europe and USA (and the Phillippines I think), it was 1992-1997 (though with USA's convoluted "model year" scheme, it was '93-'97 models). In Australia, it was 1994-1999 for AE101s and AE102s. In Japan, E10 saloons and Levin/Truenos were sold from 1991-1995. E10 Wagons and vans were sold from 1991-2001 in Japan.

E11s went on sale in Japan in 1995, and died in 2001, plain and simple. In Australia, they were sold from 1998-2001, overlapping E10s and E12s at each end. In Europe and USA, again, E11s were sold from 1997-2001 (with '97 E11s sold as '98s in the US under the retarded scheme).

Even more convoluted, the 2003 ZZE122 Corolla sedan went on sale in the USA in January 2002.

fantatstic keep em comin!

brilliant RedAE102

To this, I shall add:

With Toyota model codes, another letter is substituted to differentiate another model with the same chassis code (single letter). For example, an SV20 Camry (second generation) is not the same as an SXV20. For two letter engine codes, a C is substituted for the Z in the "second" series off a single model code. Example: MCX10 Avalon... on the Camry platform, so it certainly is not a Cressida/Chaser/Mark II/Cresta, which is the main X chassis (GX90, et. al.). Another example is the Altezza/Lexus IS, which uses an E chassis code like the Corolla, but is obviously not a FWD Corolla. 3S-GE---> SXE10, 2JZ-GE---> JCE10, and so forth. I believe that in this case, because of the hybrid drivetrain, an H was used in lieu of a C in the model code, thus 1NZ-FXE---> NHW20 (similarly, a Mk. I Prius would be NHW10). Only time will tell what happens when Toyota's new family of GR V6s for applications is added to the mix.

Quite frankly I'm confused. :wacko:

I thought that the model codes & the chassis codes were quite simple:

Engine-chassis-type

Which would give for example:

AE82

Engine: A

Chassis: E8

Type: 2

I don't understand where the extra W's, C's etc fit in :(

In the case of the prius, this would give it a chassis code of W2, which is a MR2 MkII :eek:

The most comprehensive site for early Celica types - right down to individual chassis number production dates is -

I've just tried to digest this! I'm going to have to take a pencil & paper & trace the histories of various Corona, Carina, Celica, Cressida, Avalon, Avensis, where does the list end? :wacko:

Great site, thanks for the link :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: HERES THE CYNOS STUFF, NOT SURE IF THE PASEO IS THE SAME BUT SHOULD BE :unsure:

CAN'T UPLOAD AN EXCEL FILE :ffs:

GOOD LUCK

JAY

MODELS.doc

You might be better off starting with models sold in just one country at a time ;)

There are so many models , with different names sold in different markets with different options at different times that to do them all you could find yourself overwhelmed.

I've been writing histories (in my spare time) for just the Japanese market models for several years and thats just a few models. An example, in 1987 the JDM Supra MKIII was sold in 20 different variants, one car in one year in one location ..... multiply that by the amount of different models Toyota produces around the world for different markets and the task becomes immense :o

You might be better off starting with models sold in just one country at a time ;)

I'm starting to come to that opinion myself :lol: I've got the basics sorted for the LandCruisers, MR2s & Corollas. The Corona/Carina/etc... ranges are being put on a back burner for a while.

Hi,

Mine is a Toyota Caldina 1.8. It is a JDM.

AT191G - 7A-FE

Other variants are;

CT190G - 2C/2C-T

CT199V - 3C-E (4WD)

CT197V - 3C-E

ET196V - 5E-FE

ST190G - 4S-FE

ST191G - 3S-FE

ST195G - 3S-FE/3S-GE (2 litre 4WD variants)

CT196V - 2C

ST198V - 3S-FE (4WD)

Good luck with the compiling work!

hey guys new member here. im from the US. i am part of a tercel modification/owners club and in doing some online research through goole, i found your wonderful site. anyway i wanted to contribute by adding the tercel info that i know of.

91-94

EL42

3e-e

83-86 or 88

AL21

3a or the 3a-c

some used the 3e

hope that helps,

vince

I shall take another stab at explaining the letter substitution thing...

First of all, you have basic model codes... engine family, chassis, and model number. That last part I have not found a suitable word for, since it means different things to different model ranges. There is considerably more separation between an AE101 and an AE102 than there is between a UCF20 and a UCF21 (2nd gen Celsior/Lexus LS). In the Celsior, a 0 denotes a standard suspension and a 1 denotes the electronic air suspension. But I digress...

Anyway....

I'll start with something you guys know.

The ZZ engine in the ZZE123 Corolla T Sport keeps the second Z, but the SCP10 Yaris does not. This is because the Yaris uses the secondary P platform designation (P platform being the Starlet, Publica, and S800 platform). The 1st generation Altezza/Lexus IS (E1) has nothing in common with an ancient E1 Corolla. The JZ inline six becomes JC in the IS300, namely JCE10. Thus, the Altezza/IS has the secondary E platform. Here is another breakdown:

Primary platform code:

Full engine family code is retained, single letter engine family yields two letter code, two letter engine family yields three letter code.

Engine family code + platform letter

Examples: AE111, ZZE112, JZS181 (Aristo/Lexus GS... could be off on this particular code), JZA80 (we all know this one... Mk. IV Supra), 4Runner/Surf LN130, VZN130, KZN130

Secondary platform code:

Engine family code is changed. Three letters in code whether engine family is one or two letters.

Single letter engine code:

Engine code + X + platform letter

Two letter engine code:

Engine code minus Z + C + platform letter

And in the case of the Prius, substitute H for C, presumably for Hybrid.

Examples:

3rd generation Camry (widebody):

SXV10: 5S VCV10: 3VZ MCV10: 1MZ

Altezza/Lexus IS:

GXE10/15: 1G SXE10: 3S JCE10/15: 2JZ

I'll be happy to clarify further. I know I'm not exactly a good teacher because I have trouble putting things into terms that others will understand (as most of the time, my thought processes are somewhere in the vacuum of space in relation to most).

Thanks Vince, :thumbsup:

Interesting to see that the Tercel is an L chassis like the Paseo & Cynos.

That's because they share underpinnings! :eek:

Oh well, whatever works. The Corolla II and Corsa are also L chassis.

I shall :!Removed!: now...

the corolla II and corsa ARE tercels, but they come with different options (except the corolla II, that was the pre-tercel gen seeing as how the tercel is a corolla variant ;)). the corsa came with different engine options than the tercel and different lighting packages for different market specs. so yeah, if anyone wants to know more, go ahead and ask me. the tercel is a strange little toyota that got lost somewhere along the way in toyota popularity and understanding :D.

vince

this is hurting my head :blink:

I'm trying to figure out what my Carina's code is, i've got a funny feeling it's

AT/ST171 '88Carina

3S-FE engine

this is hurting my head :blink:

I'm trying to figure out what my Carina's code is, i've got a funny feeling it's

AT/ST171 '88Carina

3S-FE engine

That's easy, I can help you with this one. :D

The Carina is a T chassis, so with a 3S engine, it'll give you an ST code. The 171 gives the 17th version of the T chassis, and the 1st sub-version of that version (sub-versions are often body styles). Therefore your code is:

ST171

P.S. Check the Celica site posted by celicacity above. It shares the same chassis as yours and there is a ton of info on the Carina/Corona/Celica etc...

Yes I checked my chassis number :D ST171 :D You know, Nissans are much easier.

Celica same chassis as the Carina, blimey. That be why i'm paying thru the teeth in insurance? hehe I can see i'm going to have to get my gold application in.

Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links