Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Never Get More Then 300Miles From Full Tanks!

badboy88

Always at 380 for the start of the flashing bar. Costs £42 to re fill. Still happy enough its about 56mpg ish

After 332 miles and still 3 blobs showing I couldn't wait anymore for my first set of figures.

60 mpg seems excellent with a new engine :thumbsup:

David

From a while ago when I start this topic I still got no Inprovement on my MPG!!

Still get around 300miles and the last bulb start flashing!!

I still wonder how can you lots get 332 and still got 3 blobs left!!

A sticking point with the D4Ds that only get run in town is the stupid EGR valve can get jammed open due to soot buildup, and that kills the low RPM engine power.

The newer ones also have to deal with the DPF getting blocked up as the regeneration cycle only kicks in at motorway speeds.

Don't know if it's the same system as Hyundai.

My father recently had to have the EGR replaced on his Tucson.

(Sooted up & stuck).

It has to be connected so the ECU won't show up a fault.

There is a "cure".

While it is still working properly, opening / closing etc.

Remove it & block the passageway / port with a circle of metal.

(Beer can is ideal).

The ECU sees everything as normal & working.

The engine doesn't have to re-breathe it's own soot so runs better.

It will not soot up and cost you (In my father's case) £300.00

Apparently, also improves warm-up time but I don't know why.

Probably because the engine is burning fuel with air, not with sooty combustion gasses.

Ian.

To be honest I think you should focus on the mpg figure rather than the blobs - I only mentioned that to indicate that I couldn't wait any longer to get some mpg figures. I fill up until the first click on the petrol pump (at the same petrol station)and then enter the mileage and litres into the website "Fuelly" which gives me a running average mpg that I find useful as well as my individual fill ups. You could just use a spreadsheet or calculator though.

My previous car was a Prius Gen 2 and my average was 54 mpg over the year (it was best when the weather was good and the heater didn't need to be on) which was about right for the car. As long as I get 50 mpg or more from my Aygo I will be happy. Not sure that one reading is very reliable but 60.9 mpg is a good start - especially as I have been caught in traffic jams by temporary lights at roadworks.

However if you get 40 mpg and drive in cities or on motorways that also seems good. I have lots of A roads and will only do 60 mph maximum - often 40 to 50 mph, and 30 mph in the occasional town.

David

• Like 1

To be honest I think you should focus on the mpg figure rather than the blobs - I only mentioned that to indicate that I couldn't wait any longer to get some mpg figures. I fill up until the first click on the petrol pump (at the same petrol station)and then enter the mileage and litres into the website "Fuelly" which gives me a running average mpg that I find useful as well as my individual fill ups. You could just use a spreadsheet or calculator though.

My previous car was a Prius Gen 2 and my average was 54 mpg over the year (it was best when the weather was good and the heater didn't need to be on) which was about right for the car. As long as I get 50 mpg or more from my Aygo I will be happy. Not sure that one reading is very reliable but 60.9 mpg is a good start - especially as I have been caught in traffic jams by temporary lights at roadworks.

However if you get 40 mpg and drive in cities or on motorways that also seems good. I have lots of A roads and will only do 60 mph maximum - often 40 to 50 mph, and 30 mph in the occasional town.

David

I often drive in City Road and doing often 30 to 40 mph! not very often on Motorway!

Maybe that could be one of the reason I don't get very good MPG!

I do 50:50 city and motorway, last tank was 62 MPG, best has been 68.

Its not where, its how and how fast.

I do 50:50 city and motorway, last tank was 62 MPG, best has been 68.

Its not where, its how and how fast.

I think the newer ones are set up for better mpg

David

The ECU was tweaked for better CO2, don't think the MPG was affected a lot. There are some guys on Spiritmonitor with 2007 cars and averages over 60, even 70 MPG.

If you get yourself a Scangauge (or the cheaper E model) you'll improve your average pretty quickly, it will pay for itself.

:thumbsup:

Just filled up for the secomd time and very pleasd with 62 mpg which included some very short journeys.

David

Must be something wrong with your Aygo. Mine used to easily do 450miles from a full tank even if i was driving it like i stole it. If i drove it very carefully i used to get over 550miles from a full tank!

550 from a petrol, that must be 70 MPG?

I get about 55MPG at 380 miles from a tank. hard driving gives 50 mpg with about 320 miles on a tank.

I've had a tank of 68 when it was new, but most now are around 60.

The Aygo seems to love city and low speed (up to 60) driving. Anything over that seems to eat fuel.

Must be something wrong with your Aygo. Mine used to easily do 450miles from a full tank even if i was driving it like i stole it. If i drove it very carefully i used to get over 550miles from a full tank!

Ha ha - mine still had two blobs showing - I just couldn't wait anymore

:yahoo:

David

My Best ever miles get from Full tank are around 350miles!!!!

Never get more then that !

Whatever I do such as driving slowly !!

Get yourself an instant MPG gauge, SG2 or SGE - £70 and up. That will show you where you are getting low MPGs.

For example a lot of people assume accelerating in a high gear is good, but as it takes longer to go from 30-50 in 4th vs 3rd you are at lower MPG for longer and so your average goes down. A quicker burst in 3rd means you are up to cruising speed asap.

I get about 55MPG at 380 miles from a tank. hard driving gives 50 mpg with about 320 miles on a tank.

You have a good average of around 55mpg - although mine is at 60 mpg it is only over 700 miles so may change during the year. To be honest I hope to get 50 mpg which will compare well with my 54mpg from my previous car (a Prius Gen2) and any more is just a bonus.

David

Get yourself an instant MPG gauge, SG2 or SGE - £70 and up. That will show you where you are getting low MPGs.

For example a lot of people assume accelerating in a high gear is good, but as it takes longer to go from 30-50 in 4th vs 3rd you are at lower MPG for longer and so your average goes down. A quicker burst in 3rd means you are up to cruising speed asap.

I am looking for one of those Gauge on the Websites but they are all sort of difference one with Price range very lots!

by the way how do those MPG Gauge work ? do they have to internal install onto your car which I am no good at all!!

You have a good average of around 55mpg - although mine is at 60 mpg it is only over 700 miles so may change during the year. To be honest I hope to get 50 mpg which will compare well with my 54mpg from my previous car (a Prius Gen2) and any more is just a bonus.

David

hard driving gives 50 mpg with about 320 miles on a tank.

How do you mean by hard driving? coz I get around 300 or little more miles from full tank!

I drive in city most of the time and upto 3000rav before I change gear.

If I keep changing gear at around 2000rav the car seem to be very slow and car behind will get annoying!!!! snd tailgate me!!!

I am looking for one of those Gauge on the Websites but they are all sort of difference one with Price range very lots!

by the way how do those MPG Gauge work ? do they have to internal install onto your car which I am no good at all!!

They are very easy to install. Look between your steering column and the centre console, just at the height of the shelf underneath the heater you will see a socket - thats the OBD2 port which your garage will use to do any diagnostics when warning lights appear on the speedo. All of these devices plug into there to read information. It takes about 2 minutes to plug it in and start working, it takes longer to work out where to put it on the dash ;)

I have a Scanguage 2 which is about £120 new, there is also a Scanguage E which is cheaper - about £77. I got mine from here. The difference between the 2 is that the SG2 has 4 displays instead of the E only having 2 but with some small graphs, and the SG2 also allows you to add programmable additional displays - like horsepower ;) If I was going for one now then I would go for an E.

If you have an Android phone you can buy a cheap OBD bluetooth device (£10-20) which goes into the same socket and connects to your phone. You can then run an app called Torque which does the same thing as the SG2 - MPG etc. plus 0-60 :D

Comparison of an SG2 and E is here.

Good luck.

As for mileage, I'm on 405 with 2 bars left.

PS - You may read that these devices all use American gallons which are smaller. They do by default but they all include a calibration process (fill your tank, reset, drive, fillup again and tell it how much you used) to adjust to propert sized gallons.

I'm somewhat concerned with the fuel consumption with our Aygo. I am basing this on what we are achieving versus the figures being discussed here on this forum.

Firstly - we accept the 6 blob meter is complete carp and we are now using the trip to determine when to re-fuel !!

Have measured 3 tankfuls for a Aygo which we have owned for 4weeks. First tankful 37.3 mpg all urban, second 49.9 mpg a sub 70 mph motorway trip of 225 miles and 3rd tankful was 39.3 mpg urban.

Thus to be safe a tankful will last no more than 300 miles max assuming 34 litres of usable fuel. It seems extraordinary therefore that some folk on here claim regularly to achieve 400 per tank !!??

We are driving the car in accordance with the fuel economy guidelines as one reason for getting the car was to save money so we are committed to this new way of driving !

We have had 2 old 1.2 litre cars recently which were not driven particularly carefully and they both returned approx 38 MPG urban - old technology, much heavier cars. Frustrating as the Aygo itself is excellent!

Has anyone had/heard of cases of the Aygo engine running inefficiently and how was this resolved?

Are you sure you are getting a full tank ? Not just the pump clicking, can you see the fuel in the neck ? I fill to the fuel is level with the top of the collar inside the filler neck which is intended to stop you filling up with Diesel.

On 10/31/2011 at 3:46 PM, Bravo533 said:

I'm somewhat concerned with the fuel consumption with our Aygo. I am basing this on what we are achieving versus the figures being discussed here on this forum.

Firstly - we accept the 6 blob meter is complete carp and we are now using the trip to determine when to re-fuel !!

Have measured 3 tankfuls for a Aygo which we have owned for 4weeks. First tankful 37.3 mpg all urban, second 49.9 mpg a sub 70 mph motorway trip of 225 miles and 3rd tankful was 39.3 mpg urban.

Thus to be safe a tankful will last no more than 300 miles max assuming 34 litres of usable fuel. It seems extraordinary therefore that some folk on here claim regularly to achieve 400 per tank !!??

We are driving the car in accordance with the fuel economy guidelines as one reason for getting the car was to save money so we are committed to this new way of driving !

We have had 2 old 1.2 litre cars recently which were not driven particularly carefully and they both returned approx 38 MPG urban - old technology, much heavier cars. Frustrating as the Aygo itself is excellent!

Has anyone had/heard of cases of the Aygo engine running inefficiently and how was this resolved?

I will keep you posted on my Aygo's fuel consumption. The more fuel ups I do the more reliable will be my average. I do only fill up to the first click on the pump so some of my fill ups may give a false reading but over time this will average out. This last week I have done lots of short trips and after only 79 miles I noticed I had lost a blob on the gauge so maybe I am not doing so well at the moment. I drive at a reasonable pace within the speed limits but after driving a Prius for a year I have probably adapted my technique slightly so that I don't accelerate up to junctions and then brake but anticipate when it is likely I will be slowing down and let the car decelerate - basically I leave a larger gap than I used to.

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links