Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D T3X Head Gasket Dilemma

westsider

I wamt to chim in here.

I am also a taxi driver, I drive a fullylicenced Hackney Carriage.

We have several 2006,07,08,09,11 reg avensis. (over 80% of the fleet is an avensis)

Most are 2 Litres but only 2 and 2.2s.

Only one of the 2.2s has been in for a HG - Done under warranty.

Both cars have clocked up around 130k.

the only diffrence is age,

one is a 2006, the other a 2008 58reg.

The same goes for the 2.0 engined avensis.

Some have had injectors, 1 had had a new engine.

but through out the issues, our local benfield toyota have been a1.

they are eating the miles..!

Well I got my 2.2 Avensis back from the Toyota Dealership in Belfast last week. Its going very well but I do have issues with the Toyota Dealership it was sent to.

What they did under warranty

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

285.12 GBP. Parts and Services

065.00 GBP. Labour

What else I got from the Toyota Dealership

400.00 GBP. Big dent in rear, scratches and tears to paintwork on rear, and green paint imprinted on rear bumper.

The dealership (Charles Hurst Newtonabbey) of course know nothing about this damage, and claim it was like that before they recieved it. They in fact don't even know who towed it up from Dublin. Contacted Toyota UK who were very quick to respond but said there is nothing they can do as the dealership is a franchise and not owned by them, but did say they would contact them directly and ask them to contact me and will follow it up. £400 is not realy worth the bother of contacting a solicitor, but I might just contact the local police for the hell of it and get someone charged for vandalising my car. BTW I got a taxi from Belfast Central train station to the dealership in Newtonabbey and the driver had flattering things to say about Charles Hurst and their reputation in Northern Ireland.

Ive been reading comments about the Head Gasket on 2.2 Avensis since purchasing mine last September. Up until now i have always thought ah well you get your good ones and your bad ones. This week at 116000 miles it seems my 2.2's Head Gasket has gone too. I also use this vehicle as a Taxi, and am totally gutted at the thought of it costing me around £1500 to put right. I have always had Toyota's and my wifes 2000 plate 1.8 petrol has been faultless.

Well I got my 2.2 Avensis back from the Toyota Dealership in Belfast last week. Its going very well but I do have issues with the Toyota Dealership it was sent to.

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

400.00 GBP. Big dent in rear, scratches and tears to paintwork on rear, and green paint imprinted on rear bumper.

The dealership (Charles Hurst Newtonabbey) of course know nothing about this damage, and claim it was like that before they recieved it. They in fact don't even know who towed it up from Dublin. Contacted Toyota UK who were very quick to respond but said there is nothing they can do as the dealership is a franchise and not owned by them, but did say they would contact them directly and ask them to contact me and will follow it up. £400 is not realy worth the bother of contacting a solicitor, but I might just contact the local police for the hell of it and get someone charged for vandalising my car. BTW I got a taxi from Belfast Central train station to the dealership in Newtonabbey and the driver had flattering things to say about Charles Hurst and their reputation in Northern Ireland.

I'm glad you got it sorted but how did they manage to repair your engine so cheaply! I'm sure it should be around £3.5k to do the job correctly and why did you need to the £345.00 for parts services and labour?

Pete.

You guys have me worried, mines done 86,000 and touching wood its been fine. If this is a common fault why haven't Toyota done anything about it and what causes it as well?

You guys have me worried, mines done 86,000 and touching wood its been fine. If this is a common fault why haven't Toyota done anything about it and what causes it as well?

If you do a search there loads of posts on the subject.and information on cause and effect plus pics.

Just watch , the more these 2.2's go up in miles the more horror storys this forum will be hearing , if anyone is out of warranty best getting a new engine , probably would be cheaper , the 2.0 will fit straight into it and is easier to install

PS Charles Hurst Belfast are conmen and you can quote me on that , when they where in Dundonald (Belfast) they promised me all sorts of warrantys , which when i contacted Toyota Uk was told to be false , Also im still waiting on my works order from 2009 ,, well they can send it to the scrapyard where the car is ,, also my friend sells cars , he traded in a skoda with 56,000 miles to Charles Hurst , 2 weeks later he went upto look at a car and he saw his car with guess what 29,000 miles !!!! Paul Daniels eat your heart out

• 2 weeks later...

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

HI im a new member, just reading the posts on head gasket issues, i like sean have bad situation bought my avensis tspirit 07 in uk jan this year with 82k on clock, i am also a taxi driver it now has 93k and head gasket just went,i love this car and want it sorted asap as i need it to earn a living,car is out of warranty i know trying to get toyota ireland to do it as a good will gesture with the help of a toyota mech, wishfull thinking maybe but im willing to try before i put my hand in my pocket, contacted dealer in uk where i bought the car with no joy,my next move is to ring toyota uk and ask if they can sort it for me, ill bring the car up to northern ireland no prob if i get the all clear,need to know what exactly sean aka westsider did so i can do the same, so if you can reply to this post please and lend a fello taximan a hand i would really appreciate it,should have kept my 01 mondeo which is still driving well for my brother, everyone told me the new 2.2 avensis was bullet proof but hey is there any such thing,anyone has any feed back please reply cheers.

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

HI im a new member, just reading the posts on head gasket issues, i like sean have bad situation bought my avensis tspirit 07 in uk jan this year with 82k on clock, i am also a taxi driver it now has 93k and head gasket just went,i love this car and want it sorted asap as i need it to earn a living,car is out of warranty i know trying to get toyota ireland to do it as a good will gesture with the help of a toyota mech, wishfull thinking maybe but im willing to try before i put my hand in my pocket, contacted dealer in uk where i bought the car with no joy,my next move is to ring toyota uk and ask if they can sort it for me, ill bring the car up to northern ireland no prob if i get the all clear,need to know what exactly sean aka westsider did so i can do the same, so if you can reply to this post please and lend a fello taximan a hand i would really appreciate it,should have kept my 01 mondeo which is still driving well for my brother, everyone told me the new 2.2 avensis was bullet proof but hey is there any such thing,anyone has any feed back please reply cheers.

Hi Richie, I just read about the problem with your Avensis. I'll try and help you if I can. First question who did you buy the Avensis from?

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

I'm glad you got it sorted but how did they manage to repair your engine so cheaply! I'm sure it should be around £3.5k to do the job correctly and why did you need to the £345.00 for parts services and labour?

Pete.

Well If I had paid for it myself I was told by one of their staff that it would cost around £4K. They did the gasket, cylinder, ring set, pistons and bearings and bolts, the rest was not covered under warranty so I had to pay for it. I guess it costs a lot less when they do it themselves.

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

Hi Richie, I just read about the problem with your Avensis. I'll try and help you if I can. First question who did you buy the Avensis from?

PS Charles Hurst Belfast are conmen and you can quote me on that , when they where in Dundonald (Belfast) they promised me all sorts of warrantys , which when i contacted Toyota Uk was told to be false , Also im still waiting on my works order from 2009 ,, well they can send it to the scrapyard where the car is ,, also my friend sells cars , he traded in a skoda with 56,000 miles to Charles Hurst , 2 weeks later he went upto look at a car and he saw his car with guess what 29,000 miles !!!! Paul Daniels eat your heart out

Hi Jay, last month I effed them from a hight over the phone and raised stink with Toyota UK about them. They are going to give me £200 to cover some of the costs of repairing the dent as a good will gesture although they didn'y admot liability. Other than that the car is going fine at the mo.

Hey sean i bought it from bmc car sales in nottinghm, nothing they can do really, i was onto toyota head office uk and they tod me to ring a ni garage and explain my story they also said its under uk warranty up to 100k or 5 years so my next step is ringing the ni garage in the morning and go from there any info on steps i should take mate?

Hey sean i bought it from bmc car sales in nottinghm, nothing they can do really, i was onto toyota head office uk and they tod me to ring a ni garage and explain my story they also said its under uk warranty up to 100k or 5 years so my next step is ringing the ni garage in the morning and go from there any info on steps i should take mate?

Richie your car is definetly under warranty in the UK so a dealer in the UK will fix it for you, and your best bet in Northern Ireland. Toyota Ireland couldn't help me as my car was imported from the UK. But I bought my car from a dealer in Dublin so I had some come back with them, but I still had to raise hell with them to contact a dealer up north and get it towed up, as I was quite prepared to suit them and claim every loss I incurred against them. Unfortunatly your situation is even more complicated than mine was as you bought your car in England.

However try not to worry.

Two things you can do. Either getting it fixed yourself in a garage or going down the warranty route for the UK.

If you realy want to get it done under warranty first thing you ned to do is contact the dealer in Nottingham and ask them to ring a dealer in the North (Probably Charles Hurst) and explain the situation to them. If they don't just do it yourself and see how you get on. Husrt is the main Toyota dealer in the North..

Toyota Workshop Abbey

547 Antrim Road

Newtonabbey

Co. Antrim

BT36 4RF

0044-2890-830050.

If your car is fitted out as a taxi you might have a problem getting it done under warranty as its a commercial vehicle. If you want to get it done up north remove the metre, printer and roof sign connector and windsreen disks. A good mechanic will do it in five minutes for you. If they agree either arrange to have it towed up or drive it up yourself, and I don't need to warn you about keeping an eye on the water tank. I know its an absolute pain but they will do a lot of work on your car under warranty and it will only cost you a few hundred for work that would cost you between 4 and 5K if you had to pay for it yourself. You wont have your car for about three weeks or more but you can always rent a taxi to keep you going in the mean time.

However if you want to just get it fixed yourself in the south you bring it any number of mechanics and get the head skimmed. Most in Dublin will charge you about 1.5K give or take a few euros. A few down the country will do it for less than 1K and you should have your car back after a week. The main drawback with just having the head skimmed is that the head gasket might go again some time in the future, probably around another 80k miles with the Avenis 2.2, but its a common enough problem with many other cars as well and at least you wont have to worry about it for a while.

Hope that helps and try not to worry.

Hey Sean, thanks for all the helpful information. Im gonna contact Charles Hurst in the morning. I hate having to take all my taxi stuff off the car as it has only gone on a couple of mths ago. The tamper proof disc on the window, were you able to get yours off without damaging it? Are you definite that my car would not be covered under warranty as its a taxi? Should i not mention this to the garage in the morning? 3 weeks is a long time to be without your car and the cost of removing the stuff and getting it put back on, but I want the job done right, otherwise could find myself in the same situation in the near future. Im gonna work out all my expenses and see what the best option is. Can you give me a rough estimate of the cost of removing and reinstalling taxi meter etc.... I was talking to a Toyota mechanic (Clondalkin), apparently due to this reoccuring problem with the Avensis, Toyota are now installing new engines on the call backs instead of stripping them. Obviously its a problem that they dont want to admit, and I can see it getting bigger.

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

i dont understand.......if you have 93k on the clock its still under warranty as toyota extended the warranty!!!!!!!!!i have helped people in countrys 000's of miles away get engines so i dont know how people in the eu are having problems....warranty is 112k or 7 years.....you now get a 3/4 engine instead of the garage rebuilding it

and dont fit the 2lrt it suffers the same problems!!and its not an easy swap........ecu's wiring etc...so it could end up more expensive..

Hey Sean, thanks for all the helpful information. Im gonna contact Charles Hurst in the morning. I hate having to take all my taxi stuff off the car as it has only gone on a couple of mths ago. The tamper proof disc on the window, were you able to get yours off without damaging it? Are you definite that my car would not be covered under warranty as its a taxi? Should i not mention this to the garage in the morning? 3 weeks is a long time to be without your car and the cost of removing the stuff and getting it put back on, but I want the job done right, otherwise could find myself in the same situation in the near future. Im gonna work out all my expenses and see what the best option is. Can you give me a rough estimate of the cost of removing and reinstalling taxi meter etc.... I was talking to a Toyota mechanic (Clondalkin), apparently due to this reoccuring problem with the Avensis, Toyota are now installing new engines on the call backs instead of stripping them. Obviously its a problem that they dont want to admit, and I can see it getting bigger.

why are you wanting to remove all your taxi stuff????it doesnt matter if its a taxi the engines at fault and nothing to do with what the cars used for...i have replaced the engines on around 4 taxi's all with the meters,plates etc still on the car

Hi ormi really appreciate your input you know your stuff im just finding out about all this, ill know tomoro if they,re going to sort me out in northern ireland,The irish dealers are very iffy about giving information why i dont know as we,re all part of the EU,

Also ill find out if toyota ireland are going to do it''AS A GOOD WILL GESTURE'' for me on monday,

Good will gesture whats the story with that nonsence,anyway id like to get it sorted,Sean said it took about 3 wks for his to get done in NI,should it take that long? i would nearly put it on the ferry and get it done in the uk if it only took a few days to a wk what do you suggest?

Also the fact that you have worked on cars with taxi stuff still on them makes sense, it is the engine that at fault i would rather leave everything on it and make things a little esaier.

due to us now getting 3/4 engines the warranty time is now 11 hours i have swapped one of these in around 5.5 hours as me and the boy on the next ramp were trying to out do each other lol..

seriously though you will not need to remove your taxi stuff...

i know their can be a wait for a engine due to the demand but you will be able to use your car in the mean time just keep an eye on your levels and you'll be ok....if the dealers are being funny phone toyota.....the problem is well known..verso,avensis,rav,auris 2.2 and 2.0 lrt and even the lexus is220 all suffer from head gasket and burning oil issues...they will contact the dealer and give them what for..

Richie I don't realy know how you will stand with any dealer in the UK, but in my case I was advised by my dealer to have all the taxi gear removed as there might have been a problem getting it done under warranty if it was a commercial vehicle. To be honest the dealership I bought my Avenis from was not very helpfull and I got into a shouting match with one of the salesmen there who tried to tell me that they dont give warranties to taxi drivers, and I basically told him they were getting my car fixed for me or it would go to court end of story. I live in Lucan myself, just down the road from you I think.

Before I went back to my dealer I contacted Toyota UK myself and to be honest they were a little bit shady about were I stood. I got my dealer to contact Hurst who were actually ok about getting it done under warranty and sent a tow truck down to Dublin from Belfast (That's another story). But the work was done and I got it back and its being going fine for the past month. It took 3 weeks with my car I suppose because I wasn't paying for it (well not much) and I was put at the back of the queue so I had to wait a while.

If you want to go down this route I had a mechanic I know take out all the stuff for free as he does work for my taxi and other car which is a Saab and it took ten minutes. The wiring was left were it was for it be connected back up easily. To get it put back in is going to cost 150 euros for the metre, printer, roof sign connecter. I had South Dublin Autos in Dolphins Barn do mine and they did an excellent job. The two daisies on the windows will cost you 50 euros to have both put back on with the SGS. I had mine done it five minutes after booking an appointment. You may be able to get the daisies off the windows by using a hair dryer, but it might not work either.

The problem with the 2.2 Diesel Avenis as far as I've been told is that the engine is Renault not Toyota, which explains a lot!!

695.44 GBP. Parts

549.46 GBP. Labour

What I had to pay for

065.00 GBP. Labour

i dont understand.......if you have 93k on the clock its still under warranty as toyota extended the warranty!!!!!!!!!i have helped people in countrys 000's of miles away get engines so i dont know how people in the eu are having problems....warranty is 112k or 7 years.....you now get a 3/4 engine instead of the garage rebuilding it

and dont fit the 2lrt it suffers the same problems!!and its not an easy swap........ecu's wiring etc...so it could end up more expensive..

The problem from what I can see Ormi is getting a dealer to actually accept the car in the first place and Toyota in different European countries having different rules. In my experience Toyota UK were helpfull and once my car was taken in the work was done. The customer service team from Totota Ireland on the other told me their legal department said that they wouldnt take my car as it was imported from the UK. They also said that they only give three year warranties in Ireland for Toyota's although did say that they would have fixed my car under warranty as a good will gesture if it had been first registered in Ireland. Its absolutely crazy and there must be some illegality in all this. The EU is a joke and its ironic that Toyota UK will take cars from other countries even though Britain is percieved as anti-EU, but Ireland and I imagine other countries who are supposedly pro-EU wont. Toyota realy need to sort this out.

lol dont know who you heard that from but the engine has nothing to do with reno..........nothing at all.....they dont even use an engine thats remotly the same...and they cant say your cars a taxi so your not getting the work that would mean their would be a lot of unhappy hilux,hiace and landcruiser owners.....

also company cars ie reps cars can do 000's more miles than your taxis some have done 100k in a lot less than 3 years and toyota repair these no problem..

what i would do is phone a uk dealer or phone a few then phone toyota customer care were you are and hit them with all your info...

i got someone in Cyprus a new engine after their dealers refused i gave them all the info ive given you and the job got done...

as said get as much info on this and then hit toyota with all your findings they will cave....

Lads cheers for all the feed back, it all helps,i now have to wait till mon to find out from garage in NI and garage in dublin,on who is going to fix this for me,if dublin garage do it happy days as they now just fit new engines rather than stripping it down,if not then NI is the second option,

I would be very sipprised if dublin garage say yes with all the red tape and garbage issues but fingers crossed,

Ormi you would not believe the amount of avensis taxi's in ireland it has to be the most popular car for this industry, there is going to be alot of angry and frustrated drivers out there, i can just imagine the backlog of jobs to be done,

Sean im just down the road from you clondalkin,went to work last nite and did a few hours then called it a day when the needle went up a slight bit dont wanna over cook it, hate doing it but the bills have to be paid and i carry a large bottle of water with me just incase roll on mon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links