Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Inflation

oakridge

Having been with the NFU Mutual for many years because we used to regularly use a modified Land Rover to two a trailer containing livestock for sale (pigs, cattle and Angora Goats) we opted to stay with them when we bought the Prius last September. The Rover 75 would have been £501 for 2010/11 but the Prius was £467. We have just had the quotation for this year at a staggering £933. Christine has had no 'Ooh, nasties' during the year and has 65% no claims bonus. We have looked at the websites of the Tenor and the Meerkats and they have a number of quotations around £500 and Toyota have quoted £491.

Has anyone else had massive increases like this?

Malcolm

Not for the car (yet) but motorbike insurance jumped from £100 to £170 this year. That wasn't the only factor that led to my decision to sell it, but it certainly helped. I must admit, it was nice to just say no to an insurance company, without having to look elsewhere knowing that you were probably just going to get fleeced in the long term anyway .

My M3 policy stayed the same. £699 +tax (£38)

They did however renew it without asking me and I was a little shocked to find that much missing from my bank account!

Hilux not sure, will have renew it with someone else as admiral don't cover suspension or body lifts.

Every friggin' year mate :(

Since I first got a car, I've changed insurers almost every year because the renewal prices are always stupidly high.

I suspect it's a deliberate trap to try and catch people who can't be assed to go through all the hassle of ringing round for quotes.

I normally hit a comparison site or two, take the best 5 and play them off against each other over the phone.

Hasn't worked as well in recent years as the insurers on comparison sites seem to be doing some sort of price-fixing or are all underwritten by the same company!

I used to be with Swift but changed to Churchill and saved some £100.... it is often worth moving to a different company as they give nothing for loyalty :ffs:

Directline wanted £1800 off me this year (up from £1400 last year, no points/crashes + 1 years extra NCB)

Shopped around a bit and ended up renewing with Adrian Flux @ £1000

The variation in quotations on the comparison sites was incredible, from about £450 to over £3000. Whatever are they thinking.

Malcolm

Every friggin' year mate :(

Me too :ffs: .

Never,ever made a claim in 25 years of driving but insurance goes up every year,so I end up changing companies every year :censor:

Nice to know that all us law abiding drivers are paying for the :censor: who have accidents with no insurance or the ones who make false injury claims :ffs:

Insurance companies are like banks, they rely on customers 'inertia' . They have good offers for new customers but then quietly revert you to their boring old pathetic interest rates or sky high premiums once you've been with then for a year. Most people can't be bothered with checking rates and changing, in fact some companies used to make it as difficult as possible to do so - especially the banks.

My premium also went up a huge amount this year......... £3!!! That's a pint in Leeds!! :lol:

Nobody could get near Adrian Flux's renewal quote, closest was £150 more expensive.

Insurance is annual, so anyone not looking for insurance quotes 3-4 weeks before their renewal is due deserves to pay extra with the current insurer for not doing anything about it.

Everyone's premiums have gone up recently, but i found that staying with the current insurer would have cost me an extra £150, but changing insurer meant i was able to pay the same as last year. Although i'd like to see the cost go down for another year of safe and claim free driving, i'll settle for not paying £150 for the sake of a few phone calls and internet quotes.

There is no reason to get caught off guard and pay more.

Insurance is annual, so anyone not looking for insurance quotes 3-4 weeks before their renewal is due deserves to pay extra with the current insurer for not doing anything about it.

You don't get your renewal quote until a couple of weeks before renewal time so until then you wouldn't know if you have to shop around or not :unsure:

Also,it would be nice if us careful drivers were looked after instead of being screwed for the inconsiderate :censor: who make our premiums go up in the first place :ffs:

You don't get your renewal quote until a couple of weeks before renewal time so until then you wouldn't know if you have to shop around or not :unsure:

Also,it would be nice if us careful drivers were looked after instead of being screwed for the inconsiderate :censor: who make our premiums go up in the first place :ffs:

You won't know the renewal price, but you know when it is due so you can shop around for the cheapest prices in advance.

I know that my renewal will land on my mat 10-14 days before its due, but i will still look for the cheapest price so that i have the maximum amount of time in order to barter them down, or move elsewhere.

An acquaintance of mine has changed insurers pretty much evwry year for the last 4 years and managed to keep his premium from going up for each of those years. However, this year the renewal letter said that his premiun was going up from 900 to 1800 - double! He was shopping around as usual at the time and found he was unable to get a quote from anyone else. To keep driving he had therefore to pay the extra.

He has a completely accident free record, he has never had any sort of fine for speeding or anything else, he drives a bog-standard diesel Mondeo.

His crime? His recent birthday took him to 70.

So it's not just the young lads that get caned by the rip-off merchants calling themselves insurance companies.

It's high time the uninsured drivers were taken off the roads permanently, and derisory fines won't do it. They should be imprisoned IMO as it is partly them that keep the premiums high for the rest of us.

Totally agree. Turning 70 doesn't make you any more dangerous than being 69.

I'd be seeking legal advise for age discrimination as his record proves he's safe.

As for the fines for uninsured drivers, I think the fine should be a minimum of 10 times the amount it would cost if you paid the cheapest insurer.

The police should be able to pull over a driver, confirm if they are insured or not, and then go on to 'go compare' and find the cheapest insurance under their personal details, and then multiply it by 10 as a fine. Suddenly insurance costs don't seem like they are worth dodging.

• Like 1

The problem is that the fine is often cheaper than the car insurence.

often when a motorist is caught commiting several motoring offences at the same time, having no insurence is not taken into consideration.

Was a time having no insurance was considerd a very serious offence.not so anymore.

:wacko: age, racial, sexual discrimination only applies if you are a !Removed! muslim belonging to some ethnic minority. If you are a a wasp you don't stand a chance.

As for the punishment for driving an uninsured car, forget it.

A camera can only trace you if your car is registered.

An unregistered, uninsured, untaxed vehicle being driven by an unlicenced driver will always be the last to get caught.... There are simply not enough plods out in the big wide world, they rely too much on cameras.

IMO, an unlicenced driver driving an uninsured, untaxed car that has no MOT is tantamount to a manslaughter waiting to happen and he should be jailed, no question, no 'uman rights, simply jailed. If he is not of british nationality, he should be exported immediately, why should WE pay to keep him in OUR jails... Let his own country pay for him....

Rant over, sorry but I am very cynical about the justice system (or lack of it) in the UK now, too many ambulance chasers and too much notice being taken of 'Europe'

• Like 1

You won't know the renewal price, but you know when it is due so you can shop around for the cheapest prices in advance.

I know that my renewal will land on my mat 10-14 days before its due, but i will still look for the cheapest price so that i have the maximum amount of time in order to barter them down, or move elsewhere.

Does that work for you? I found if I try to search too far in advance, I ether get stupid quotes (i.e. hugely inflated) or get denied a quote completely because I already have car insurance!

My 'safe' window is normally about 2 weeks before my current insurance expires I find...

Maybe we should get the forum modders to give our cars total overhauls so they get re-classified as Kit cars instead! :lol:

Or... how long do I need to keep my Yaris for before it's classed as a classic car?? :lol:

:wacko: age, racial, sexual discrimination only applies if you are a !Removed! muslim belonging to some ethnic minority. If you are a a wasp you don't stand a chance.

As for the punishment for driving an uninsured car, forget it.

A camera can only trace you if your car is registered.

An unregistered, uninsured, untaxed vehicle being driven by an unlicenced driver will always be the last to get caught.... There are simply not enough plods out in the big wide world, they rely too much on cameras.

IMO, an unlicenced driver driving an uninsured, untaxed car that has no MOT is tantamount to a manslaughter waiting to happen and he should be jailed, no question, no 'uman rights, simply jailed. If he is not of british nationality, he should be exported immediately, why should WE pay to keep him in OUR jails... Let his own country pay for him....

Rant over, sorry but I am very cynical about the justice system (or lack of it) in the UK now, too many ambulance chasers and too much notice being taken of 'Europe'

+1

Only honest people have anything to worry about when it comes to the "justice" system in this God forsaken country of ours. For the others, it has very little deterrent value.

Everyone's premiums have gone up recently, but i found that staying with the current insurer would have cost me an extra £150, but changing insurer meant i was able to pay the same as last year. Although i'd like to see the cost go down for another year of safe and claim free driving, i'll settle for not paying £150 for the sake of a few phone calls and internet quotes.

Surely though, the point being made is that we shouldn't HAVE to shop around! Loyalty should be rewarded. I know it doesn't work that way, but that is wrong.

Surely though, the point being made is that we shouldn't HAVE to shop around! Loyalty should be rewarded. I know it doesn't work that way, but that is wrong.

Agree 100 percent.

(otherwise when my wife charges me too much for our annual bout of s*x, I'll go elsewhere :thumbsup: )

charges me too much for our annual bout of s*x, I'll go elsewhere :thumbsup: )

Wait til I see her at the weekend :naughty:

charges me too much for our annual bout of s*x, I'll go elsewhere :thumbsup: )

Wait til I see her at the weekend :naughty:

Oops! :o

In the ideal world, but this isn't the case. Insurers are a business, and profit is top of the agenda for them. If they can get away with charging more and the customer paying up because it is easier, then they will continue to do so. I always shop around for everything that needs renewing. All types of insurance, mobile bills, utility bills..... Why be loyal to the profiteering companies? They never thank you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links