Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres

Damned08

I just bought 4 x Hankook Icebear w300's for upcoming winter on a good deal. They get great reviews and my friend uses them up here in the Highlands and really rates them. But IMO you can't go wrong with Vredesteins, I've used them for years on focus St, Mondeo, Golf, T180 never let me down or had any problems. They are good on both wet and dry roads also and tyre noise is not excessive. I have found them to last at least 3 winters. You won't go wrong with them. I would also look at Nokian, I was very tempted to try them out this winter my friend in Norway wouldn't use anything else, the original snow tyre!

Blue

Blue I've just sent You a PM.. Just posting here in case You miss it .. Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

I could have sold these three times over! My dad decided he wanted them for the upcoming winter so bought them off me. Couldn't say no as he gave me such a good deal on the T180 to start with.

Blue

Fair call Mate. I should have just bought them when they were offered !!! Thanks !

Wee Charlie.

HA! He offered them to me too! I was on holiday and had a brief exchange whilst I was away. Came back and tried to buy them but his dad had changed his mind.... Would have been a fight on here!

:boxing::2guns::bash: :crutchy:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarsKy

• CharlieFarlie

• *srjp*

• webleymk3

Thinking of winter tyres due to what I do, but on a very restricted budget...

Will 4.1 steel wheels fit on a 2003 4.2?

I'm having the same dilemma as last year. tyres are wearing down... maybe 3-4mm each... I can't afford to buy new winter tyres and normals so do i got for something more off roady???

How about the Geolander ATS? Good all round performance???

Cheers.

Weblers

How long will winter tyres Last in a combination of winter and dry normal road conditions ??

As Some of You will know I am about to buy a set of wheels for My car . I have decided to go with the 18s I have thought about whether to have something like Vredestien wintracks on and have good winter capability. But will they wear out quickly ??

Ive also looked at Vredestien Quad tracks which seem like an all year round tyre but with extra winter capability..

I was simply going to fit Yokohama Advans but having looked at the forecast and bearing in mind I live in Scotland I may be making a mistake ? I will still have the original set of wheels and tyres with the Bridgestone runflats and of course I will have a spare wheel with the combination of the 2 sets ... Help !! I'm really getting confused here !!

Thanks !!

Wee Charlie.

How long will winter tyres Last in a combination of winter and dry normal road conditions ??

As Some of You will know I am about to buy a set of wheels for My car . I have decided to go with the 18s I have thought about whether to have something like Vredestien wintracks on and have good winter capability. But will they wear out quickly ??

Ive also looked at Vredestien Quad tracks which seem like an all year round tyre but with extra winter capability..

I was simply going to fit Yokohama Advans but having looked at the forecast and bearing in mind I live in Scotland I may be making a mistake ? I will still have the original set of wheels and tyres with the Bridgestone runflats and of course I will have a spare wheel with the combination of the 2 sets ... Help !! I'm really getting confused here !!

Thanks !!

Wee Charlie.

If there be anybody out there who could look at a phoaty of my shiny new Yokohama Advan Tyres and "predict" if the tread pattern will serve in the winter snow, please speak up.....I am getting the distinct impression ma big mucker Charlie has now got a great view of his own tonsils, coz he is slowly disappearing up his own bum on this decision which I envy him not on. If they are not suitable, wife's Rav will have to do when it snows....don't mind slummin' it like Bothy and driving a 3 door older model.....

Big Kev :yahoo:

If there be anybody out there who could look at a phoaty of my shiny new Yokohama Advan Tyres and "predict" if the tread pattern will serve in the winter snow, please speak up.....I am getting the distinct impression ma big mucker Charlie has now got a great view of his own tonsils, coz he is slowly disappearing up his own bum on this decision which I envy him not on. If they are not suitable, wife's Rav will have to do when it snows....don't mind slummin' it like Bothy and driving a 3 door older model.....

Well I'm not predicting anything - I'm still sitting on 2000 Icelandic Kroner :wacko:

You have a good set of OEM you can use for summer?

So why not get a good set of dedicated winter tyres (snowflake-on-the-mountain icon) for winter?

Change them over when the clocks change in October and March.

In the long run, the initial outlay in buying them won't matter too much.

Vredestein Quadtrac on TyreReviews

Good all season, but you can get better for summer using the OEM, and better for winter going for Vredestein Wintracs, or similar.

Remember, you have four-wheel-drive, but not four-wheel-stop. Buy the best grip you can afford.

I was watching Countryfile's week-long weather forecast as I type - snow on the Scottish mountains next week.

Ummm, TyreReviews

Might as well get your SORN in for winter :huh:

Edit: there are other Advan's -

Advan A10

Advan S4

Advan A460

I am in some desperate need of advice on these Vredestien Wintrac tyres OR a tyre that will cope with winter really well .... Ok If Im honest the Yokohama advans were what I was going to fit Until the penny dropped and I then thought that that decision would leave Me with 2 sets of wheels and both on what looks like summer / general purpose tyres ( Please fell free to correct Me if My confusion is taking Me in the wrong direction )

So then I started reading this thread and thought why not go for a set of Winter/all season tyres that will be the best option if We have a winter like the last two and one as bad as is predicted by just about everyone !!

Of course with the above set up I will always have a spare wheel that will get Me out of the crap at least..

Plus reading the reviews on the Wintracs it seem many use them all Year round as They are a true all season tyre but with a winter bias / capability ??

Please Guys tell Me Your thought cos I may be off up the right path or about to drop big Bow lark.....

Wee Confused Charlie........................................... :wacko:

I am in some desperate need of advice on these Vredestien Wintrac tyres OR a tyre that will cope with winter really well .... Ok If Im honest the Yokohama advans were what I was going to fit Until the penny dropped and I then thought that that decision would leave Me with 2 sets of wheels and both on what looks like summer / general purpose tyres ( Please fell free to correct Me if My confusion is taking Me in the wrong direction )

So then I started reading this thread and thought why not go for a set of Winter/all season tyres that will be the best option if We have a winter like the last two and one as bad as is predicted by just about everyone !!

Of course with the above set up I will always have a spare wheel that will get Me out of the crap at least..

Plus reading the reviews on the Wintracs it seem many use them all Year round as They are a true all season tyre but with a winter bias / capability ??

Please Guys tell Me Your thought cos I may be off up the right path or about to drop big Bow lark.....

Charlie - anything from here will do you great: TyreReviews Winter Tests

Combined with the T180s 4WD, it will be 10 foot snow drifts that will only stop you (or BMW drivers causing grid-lock :D )

Contis, Dunlops, Michelins.

I've had Michelin Pilot Alpins on my Mazda 6 AWD - great tyre, you can feel them grip.

I've had Continental ContiCrossContact Winters (stoopid name) on my T180 - firmer than the Alpins, but still great.

I now have Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D for my BMW - feel similar to the Alpins, and supposed to be better than the 3Ds which were winning the tests last year.

Edit: and yes, the Yoko Advans are summer tyres. Not even all season tyres. Stay clear for winter. Sorry BK.

Combined with the T180s 4WD, it will be 10 foot snow drifts that will only stop you (or BMW drivers causing grid-lock :D )

I've had Michelin Pilot Alpins on my Mazda 6 AWD - great tyre, you can feel them grip.

I've had Continental ContiCrossContact Winters (stoopid name) on my T180 - firmer than the Alpins, but still great.

I now have Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D for my BMW - feel similar to the Alpins, and supposed to be better than the 3Ds which were winning the tests last year.

Edit: and yes, the Yoko Advans are summer tyres. Not even all season tyres. Stay clear for winter. Sorry BK.

Thanks !! What would be Your opinion on the Vredestien Wintracs ? My Tyre Dealer who is also a very close Friend can get exceptional prices of Vredestien tyres. Plus they do seem to have a very good set of reviews and offer a good combination of wet / dry / and snow situations as well as dealing with all year round stuff as well ??

I realise They will not be the absolute best winter tyre but perhaps the best combination ? At a good price ..

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wee Charlie.

Thanks !!

Wee Charlie.

Your right Mate I have My head stuck well and truly up Me arris .... Just trying to work out the best options .... !Removed! hard especially when I start reading the sodding tyre reviews !!

Thanks !! What would be Your opinion on the Vredestien Wintracs ? My Tyre Dealer who is also a very close Friend can get exceptional prices of Vredestien tyres. Plus they do seem to have a very good set of reviews and offer a good combination of wet / dry / and snow situations as well as dealing with all year round stuff as well ??

I realise They will not be the absolute best winter tyre but perhaps the best combination ? At a good price ..

Wee Charlie.

I'm sure BlueVortex ran them last year - even has video of running on them in the snow: Wintracs

Go for them.

The only reason why I got into winter tyres was because the Mazda 6 AWD (the platform was later used for the CX-7) was shod with summer tyres, and when winter came in Aberdeen, I had several near hits - like the slow motion, life flashing in front of your eyes, near hits.

Even though the tyres had good tread, and "aggressive" tread, it's also about the tyre compound and tread pattern.

Edit: Wintracs on TyreReviews

They are extremely well thought off.

Wee Charlie.

I'm sure BlueVortex ran them last year - even has video of running on them in the snow: Wintracs

Go for them.

The only reason why I got into winter tyres was because the Mazda 6 AWD (the platform was later used for the CX-7) was shod with summer tyres, and when winter came in Aberdeen, I had several near hits - like the slow motion, life flashing in front of your eyes, near hits.

Even though the tyres had good tread, and "aggressive" tread, it's also about the tyre compound and tread pattern.

Edit: Wintracs on TyreReviews

They are extremely well thought off.

Thanks for that !! Reading through that thread by BV and seeing the tyres in action has helped a lot !! I fell sure those tyres will do everything and more than I will ever ask of them !! Last Christmas We that is the Wife and I had to decide whether to risk the journey from Scotland to the Midlands ..It was either take the risk or have a very unhappy Wife as We would not have spent Christmas with the Kids !! Our choice of transport was a Ford Focus on skinny tyres or the Jag on great big fat 20 inch massive wide tyres.... We took the Focus and made it but what a farking journey....

This Year I aim to be better placed and felling a little more confident than last Year when I was Shi............... Well You get the picture !!

Thanks a lot. Will be on the phone tomorrow.....

Wee Charlie.

PS. That was the tyre review I looked at earlier on today... Yes it seems a very good tyre !! Cheers !

....and having been in Sales all my life, could I possibly have been taken in by those marketing folk (i.e. the FAILED SALESPEOPLE....) that these Yokohamas were "excellent low temperature tyres", unquote....NAW !!!! If I didn't have the luxury (?) of wife's 3 door on 60 profiles ( Potenzas...) as a back-up, I would never have contemplated the Advans, which have thus far been a revelation IN OUR GLORIOUS WARM, DRY, SUNNY SUMMER season we are just leaving......NOT....virtually silent and brill grip in the wet.

Tyred Kev :yawn:

Editationaliser....."Summer Tyres"....WTF are these beasties....? whose summer...? Florida? (even wetter than).....Bothwell....? Sydney...?.....just a thought....

....and having been in Sales all my life, could I possibly have been taken in by those marketing folk (i.e. the FAILED SALESPEOPLE....) that these Yokohamas were "excellent low temperature tyres", unquote....NAW !!!! If I didn't have the luxury (?) of wife's 3 door on 60 profiles ( Potenzas...) as a back-up, I would never have contemplated the Advans, which have thus far been a revelation IN OUR GLORIOUS WARM, DRY, SUNNY SUMMER season we are just leaving......NOT....virtually silent and brill grip in the wet.

Editationaliser....."Summer Tyres"....WTF are these beasties....? whose summer...? Florida? (even wetter than).....Bothwell....? Sydney...?.....just a thought....

:rolleyes:

You haven't told us what type of Yokohama Advans you bought.

V 802's :unsure:

I thought an ADVAN was a mobile sandwich board :unsure:

Ah, boy racer tyre:

"The ADVAN ST (V802) is the fastest SUV tyre in the world. No other manufacturer offers an ultra high performance SUV line up that comprises purely of W and Y speed rated products. With speed capabilities up to 300km/h the ADVAN S.T. is the highest rated SUV tyre available in today’s market."

Maybe coupled with a few hours on a skidpan...? I realise this will be heresy to everyone who's been driving without incident for over forty years, but the none-Scottish/Norn Iron bit of the UK seems to get sudden concentrations of snow over a day or two so there isn't really time to learn how to handle it, you're just thrown into it. I'm not really looking forward to my French colleagues brandishing the "UK SNOW CHAOS" headlines at work again every time 3mm falls in central London...

Ah, boy racer tyre:

"The ADVAN ST (V802) is the fastest SUV tyre in the world. No other manufacturer offers an ultra high performance SUV line up that comprises purely of W and Y speed rated products. With speed capabilities up to 300km/h the ADVAN S.T. is the highest rated SUV tyre available in today’s market."

Ahh - a very quick mobile sandwich board :thumbsup:

Ahh - a very quick mobile sandwich board :thumbsup:

No - come the snow at Christmas, he's going to help Santa deliver all the presents in quick time. Very quick time. :newyear::clap:

Ah, boy racer tyre:

Rather "open weave" tread pattern, Marskers, so may fill up with snow too easily, and become like skis....? Will report if/when snow comes, but with some luck, won't be relevant that you hear from me.....

hopeful Kev :thumbsup:

Rather "open weave" tread pattern, Marskers, so may fill up with snow too easily, and become like skis....? Will report if/when snow comes, but with some luck, won't be relevant that you hear from me.....

It does say it has a compound for low temperatures, but no mention of snowflakes and mountains, or even M+S. So what standard it is to, I dinnae ken.

The OEM non-winter tyres on my Mazda 6 AWD did just that - acted as skis as a lorry and trailer came out of Torry docks in Aberdeen and jack-knifed on the icy road. The Mazda nearly had a hair cut under the trailer. That's when I decided to buy the winter tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links