Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Tyre Question, But Different...

RedRoss

Yes indeed - the yokohamas mentioned earlier. :-)

Good choice Mate !! Cant wait to try My ones out if the second two ever show up !!!!

Wee Charlie.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedRoss

• Davepax

• CharlieFarlie

• Parts-King

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than start another thread, I thought I'd stick my tyre query here. I need some new tyres for the Rav. I've been happy with the standard fit Geolanders 90/91 (can't remember). I've been looking around and are the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012 any better/worse as a daily use tyre? I do go up some fairly muddy/rocky tracks on my holidays but I've not had any major dramas, just a bit of slip here and there. Are they worth the extra over the standard fit tyre. My question is not related to winter tyres, this is just as a daily use tyre. TIA

The Geo a/t tyres were the ones I originally wanted, but they were sold out everywhere! From what I hear they are great - good luck finding some though!

Thass ma boy! No going soft on here then! :thumbsup: Out of curiosity the mpg of the Jeep?

When cruising along at around 60mph you can get 20mpg. Anything else and its single figures! :censor:

As i said though, it was bought purely for the winter last year and gets used occassionaly the rest of the year. Has only done a couple of thousand miles since purchased. Its basically a spare vehicle which comes into its own when the snow arrives.

No exageration here, but last year in the horrendous snow (you might recall the day that central scotland was at a standstill and every major road was blocked) i lost count of the number of people who shouted abuse at me out of frustration. I still recall the "look at that f***ing c***" comment as i drove along an embankment to pass a jackknifed lorry. :yahoo:

I was driving over roundabouts, battering through mounds of snow and basically negotiating my way past everyone else who was stuck. It took me 9 hours to travel the 20 miles to get home, but it was superb fun!! Disclaimer: i did stop and help a few people, but i couldnt help everyone as the entire population was stranded. :lol:

1.5k well spent in my opinion, but 9 hrs to do a 20 mile journey, that's terrible, was this all done without being on tarmac? And what was your mpg for the 20 miles? -20mpg lol!

9 hours was far better than the 48 that people were stranded for that day. I did stop a few times to wait for gaps to appear etc, and I also stopped to buy food and help folk. Was a nightmare, but I made it ....... just.

I don't understand all this stuff about winter tyres, IMHO I don't think they are necessary in this country, last winter I drove around with a set of bridgstone duellers with about 4mm on them in 3 foot of snow, no probs at all. I've now got a set of all terrain tyres which I didn't get for the snow but in all honesty I got them because they just look mint :rolleyes: I do a little bit of the muddy stuff though and will probably notice a difference there. Winter tyres will ware down quicker if you're driving on bare tarmac and let's face it even in winter in the uk most of the time it is bare tarmac you will be driving on. in the far north of Scotland maybe but I still wouldn't waste my money.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, if you want them then go get them :thumbsup: They also look mint even if the the Xmas turkey does last longer :)

Dave i kind of agree but as i said back in the opening post, my current tyres whilst still legal, dotn have enough tread on them to be efficient should the snow be as severe this year as it has been recently.

I therefore needed to change them - whether it be summer, all terrain or winter tyres. I figured that seeing as i will be putting my current tyres back on next year (i aint chucking out tyres which still have 4mm of tread left on them), i might as well get something which will last at least two winters and be good in the snow / ice.

My original intention was to buy geolander A/T tyres, but they were sold out ... everywhere. The next option was winter tyres, and seeing as Kingo was doing a deal i thought what the hell. If they last two, or hopefully three winters (my wife will be doing minimal mileage) then i will be laughing.

Incidently, it cost me £44 to have them swopped over and balanced - obviously it will be same to change them back. But for aruond £90 a year, its worth the change - at least until my current tyres are for throwing out.

I've gone for the General Grabber AT, they certainly look great and they've had some good reports. Tyres unless fitted with studs won't really get you much more traction on ice, winter,AT or normal and stopping just depends on how fast you're going. Like I said, last winter I was driving in 3 feet of snow in the most appalling conditions with 4mm of none aggressive tread. The Rav handled it without any problems at all. :thumbsup:

With my wife and infant son in the car I'd rather be safe than sorry. :-)

Better safe than sorry is always the best way to think.

Seems they are still out of stock, everywhere.

The Yokohama Geolander A/T -S .....P1010612.jpg

I think they are a great tyre...have never let me down on snow yet.I buy mine through Universal tyres ( colchester Branch)

I don't understand all this stuff about winter tyres, IMHO I don't think they are necessary in this country, last winter I drove around with a set of bridgstone duellers with about 4mm on them in 3 foot of snow, no probs at all. I've now got a set of all terrain tyres which I didn't get for the snow but in all honesty I got them because they just look mint :rolleyes: I do a little bit of the muddy stuff though and will probably notice a difference there. Winter tyres will ware down quicker if you're driving on bare tarmac and let's face it even in winter in the uk most of the time it is bare tarmac you will be driving on. in the far north of Scotland maybe but I still wouldn't waste my money.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, if you want them then go get them :thumbsup: They also look mint even if the the Xmas turkey does last longer :)

Firstly lets just get one thing straight.. Modern winter tyres simply do not wear like the ones of Years gone by !!! Most of the modern or late generation tyres can last just as long as normal tyres even if used all year round .......

Its all dependant on Your needs and influences like mileage Importance of making that journey or not... Confidence when jumping in the car at 5 in the morning with a 360 mile trip in front of You.....

Its a fact that all weather tyres WILL wear faster than winter ones on roads when the temperature drops below 7 degrees..

Winter tyres will out brake a normal tyre by up to 70% in poor conditions.

They Will go around a corner where a normal tyre will not !! Hedge anyone ??

Grip in just wet conditions is far greater than a normal tyre by a good margin...

Safety is way better and safety is paramount as far as I am concerned ..

If Your journeys are short.. And if the journey does not matter and if safety is a secondary issue then You do not need them.....

The tyre rules in country's like Germany are more stringent for many reasons .. Safety is one of the main things.. Their weather being worse of course is another !!

If You look at this tyre You will see lots of extra grooves or sipes.. the tread blocks them selves have extra sipes to disperse water and snow generate heat which will make the tyre work.. They also have extra silica's that help grip the surface .. It is the silicas that determine wear rates and its in this area that the tyre have advanced greatly in the past 3 years or so....

These tyres are completely different to all terrain tyres !!

RavWinterwheels015.jpg

Wee Charlie.

I've gone for the General Grabber AT, they certainly look great and they've had some good reports. Tyres unless fitted with studs won't really get you much more traction on ice, winter,AT or normal and stopping just depends on how fast you're going. Like I said, last winter I was driving in 3 feet of snow in the most appalling conditions with 4mm of none aggressive tread. The Rav handled it without any problems at all. :thumbsup:

Sorry but the above is completely an hopelessly wrong !! Speed of course determines the stopping distance but the right tyres will stop You so much faster or should I say in a far shorter distance !!

Wee Charlie.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=60786218.110.1663&typ=R-134170&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Quer=60&Felge=16&weiter=60&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis&Transport=P&dsco=110

try here for tyres, this is where I get mine from, they stock a wide range and good price`s delivered.

I agree with Charlie, winter tyres nower days will last for ages and not just for a few months in winter? who would buy a tyre that would only last a british winter?????????????

Winter tyres have a softer compound, and more treads cut into them, so the rubber moves around more warms up and melts the ice

Hi Dave,

I have to say I agree with your previous post about winter tyres in UK; it does seem to me to be opportunistic clap-trap, especially when you consider the kind of severe winters we used to get back in the day and we had to rely on skill & anticipation to avoid mishaps. It seems these days you've got to buy something to make you a better driver rather than just rely on your own ability. Must be the smartphone app syndrome.

Re the Grabbers, I was planning to replace my Duellers with Conti CrossTracs as they have had good write-ups but I've read some interesting stuff about the Grabbers in past few days in 4x4 Mag & now I'm thinking about them as well. I do alot of M-way & A-road long-hauls in North & Midlands and therefore tyre noise can be a big issue.The ads say the Grabbers are good in that respect but on the old basis of good grip = more noise on tarmac, how are you finding them? I agree that they certainly look the biz.

Thanks,

Jim

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=60786218.110.1663&typ=R-134170&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Quer=60&Felge=16&weiter=60&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&sort_by=preis&Transport=P&dsco=110

try here for tyres, this is where I get mine from, they stock a wide range and good price`s delivered.

I agree with Charlie, winter tyres nower days will last for ages and not just for a few months in winter? who would buy a tyre that would only last a british winter?????????????

Winter tyres have a softer compound, and more treads cut into them, so the rubber moves around more warms up and melts the ice

Shame they don't have the Geolanders in 225/65/R17 guise. Everywhere seems to be out of this size!

Shame they don't have the Geolanders in 225/65/R17 guise. Everywhere seems to be out of this size!

cant you put 235/65/R17 on instead? just a bit wider? Will look better, and protect the rim more

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=60786218.110.1663&typ=R-134199&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Quer=65&Felge=17&weiter=105&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110

it does seem to me to be opportunistic clap-trap, especially when you consider the kind of severe winters we used to get back in the day and we had to rely on skill & anticipation to avoid mishaps.

Aye - back in the day we never had stability control, traction control, AWD, etc. And there were never any accidents. :rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

I have to say I agree with your previous post about winter tyres in UK; it does seem to me to be opportunistic clap-trap, especially when you consider the kind of severe winters we used to get back in the day and we had to rely on skill & anticipation to avoid mishaps. It seems these days you've got to buy something to make you a better driver rather than just rely on your own ability. Must be the smartphone app syndrome.

Re the Grabbers, I was planning to replace my Duellers with Conti CrossTracs as they have had good write-ups but I've read some interesting stuff about the Grabbers in past few days in 4x4 Mag & now I'm thinking about them as well. I do alot of M-way & A-road long-hauls in North & Midlands and therefore tyre noise can be a big issue.The ads say the Grabbers are good in that respect but on the old basis of good grip = more noise on tarmac, how are you finding them? I agree that they certainly look the biz.

Thanks,

Jim

Agreed winter tyres= marketing ploy!!!!!!!!!!! Learn to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

cant you put 235/65/R17 on instead? just a bit wider? Will look better, and protect the rim more

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=60786218.110.1663&typ=R-134199&ranzahl=4&Breite=235&Quer=65&Felge=17&weiter=105&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=110

Hmmmm, I could. Will the 235's go straight on and cause no problems?

it does seem to me to be opportunistic clap-trap, especially when you consider the kind of severe winters we used to get back in the day and we had to rely on skill & anticipation to avoid mishaps.

Aye - back in the day we never had stability control, traction control, AWD, etc. And there were never any accidents. :rolleyes:

Aye - and today we have stability control, traction control, AWD, auto wipers, auto headlights, steerable headlights, winter tyres.........and we still have accidents!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links