Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Tyre Question, But Different...

RedRoss

The tyres we have at the moment are still fine for the current weather conditions (Falkens), and the tyre tread is probably around about the 4 mm depth.

With the last two years snow up here in sunny scotland i am considering buying new tyres for the winter months, and then when things ease up again around about March time switch the tyres back (the idea being that come next winter the new, better branded, tyres will still have plenty of tread left on them for the snow again).

I am considering Yoko Geolander A/TS G012's which i can get for £131 fitted per corner.

Does this sound like a plan to you guys or am i wasting my money. Also, do you think this is a reasonable choice of tyre at a reasonable price?

Any comments are welcome - both positive and negative as i am still in the enquiry stage of this idea.

ps How do Continental 4x4 contacts measure up against the Geo's, as i can get them for the same price?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RedRoss

• Davepax

• CharlieFarlie

• Parts-King

What size are your tyres....? If they are 235/55/17 I may make you an offer you can refuse by PM of two tyres with 7mm of tread thereon.

Big Kev :unsure:

If You are buying tyres for now until spring would You not be better off buying dedicated winter tyres ?? Geolanders are all weather tyres ??

Go here to see how the different size between Kevs tyres and Your old ones comes out ..

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Basically You will gain 4.93% taking the rolling radius from

Old tyre 27.18 inches or 690 mill

To 28.52 inches or 724 mill

HTH

Wee Charlie.

i have Yokohama V902A WINTER TYRES in stock for £146 INC your TOC discount

Kingo :thumbsup:

I am considering Yoko Geolander A/TS G012's which i can get for £131 fitted per corner.

ps How do Continental 4x4 contacts measure up against the Geo's, as i can get them for the same price?

If you are switching twice a year, then go for dedicated winter tyres which have the snowflake-on-the-mountain icon.

What type are the Contis? Do they have the snowflake-on-the-mountain icon?

I had Contintental ContiCrossContact Winters and they were fantastic, and can be run through summer (but daft if you do because you are wearing out the tread which you should be saving for winter).

Whilst that price is great, after P&P and then fitment, the overall price will be significantly more than the £131 per tyre i have been quoted (the £131 includes VAT and fitment - at my house). Unless of course, you could do a special deal on P&P. ;)

Ideally, i would go for winter tyres, but they are just so expensive! My wife is on maternity leave at the moment, so we are basically down to my wage only plus the pennies that the government pay out. As such, our budget is relatively tight. Wouldnt really afford to spend more than £600 all in, and even thats pushing the budget.

I am aware that the Geolanders are all weather tyres, but i assumed that with them being quoted as "Yokohama's ultra competitive all-terrain workhorse for 4x4s and SUVs" and with a tasty looking tread pattern, that they would be the next best thing to winter tyres. I dont plan on driving off road or up dodgy little country lanes in the snow - we will be purely driving on town roads and the motorway.

tyre.detail1.3.1271.jpg

If You are buying tyres for now until spring would You not be better off buying dedicated winter tyres ?? Geolanders are all weather tyres ??

Go here to see how the different size between Kevs tyres and Your old ones comes out ..

HTH

I have no idea what you mean by this or whether the 4.93% is a good thing or a bad thing. Im cr@p when it comes to stuff like this. :lol:

Whilst that price is great, after P&P and then fitment, the overall price will be significantly more than the £131 per tyre i have been quoted (the £131 includes VAT and fitment - at my house).

P & P from me is only £10 odd, total price delivered is £149 each INC, that includes you TOC discount. i have 8 in stock at the moment

kingo :thumbsup:

............ I dont plan on driving off road or up dodgy little country lanes in the snow ..................

Aw go on, it is fun(as well as essential for me if I am going to get to work) :thumbsup:

Whilst that price is great, after P&P and then fitment, the overall price will be significantly more than the £131 per tyre i have been quoted (the £131 includes VAT and fitment - at my house). Unless of course, you could do a special deal on P&P. ;)

Ideally, i would go for winter tyres, but they are just so expensive! My wife is on maternity leave at the moment, so we are basically down to my wage only plus the pennies that the government pay out. As such, our budget is relatively tight. Wouldnt really afford to spend more than £600 all in, and even thats pushing the budget.

I am aware that the Geolanders are all weather tyres, but i assumed that with them being quoted as "Yokohama's ultra competitive all-terrain workhorse for 4x4s and SUVs" and with a tasty looking tread pattern, that they would be the next best thing to winter tyres. I dont plan on driving off road or up dodgy little country lanes in the snow - we will be purely driving on town roads and the motorway.

tyre.detail1.3.1271.jpg

HTH

I have no idea what you mean by this or whether the 4.93% is a good thing or a bad thing. Im cr@p when it comes to stuff like this. :lol:

What it says is that Kevs tyres will be just fine....

Mate if You are going to go to the expense of tyres just for the winter period then sell Yer grannys teeth or something and get the real thing.

As well as giving extra grip winter tyres are designed to work in lower temperatures below 7 degrees typically. This gives better braking steering and far better margins of safety. Its not just a case of not getting stuck .

I bought them mainly because I commute from Scotland to the south every 5 weeks or so and its important that I get there !! Added to this is the safety margins that We cannot put a price on !!

To be honest changing one set of all weather tyres for another set of the same is just a waste of money. OK they will have more tread which can only help but this alone will not make very much difference at all...

The tyres that Kingo are offering are a very good price indeed. Also a very important thing to factor in when buying Winter tyres is are the tyres physical stock... I am still waiting on the delivery of My other two and if Im honest I would have ordered elsewhere if I had known how troublesome it was going to be to get the !Removed! things.. In fairness its not really the fault of the supplier except I was told there would be no problem in getting them .. WRONG !!!

Take a look at this link. It explains better than I can.

http://www.clickontyres.com/Yokohama_Winter_Tyres/21555R17_98V_YOKOHAMA_V902A_WDRIVE_REINFORCED_WINTER_TYRE

Wee Charlie.

Goodyear Ultragrip 8 has just come out and have won loads of awards. They are the next gen up from the Ultragrip 7+. I've just bought some from Camskills for my Polo. All winter tyres are selling like hot cakes atm. So if wants some better get in there quick. Another great site to look at is lovetyres.com they have some cracking deals if they have them. But like said not many left.

There is a tyre review site called...Tyrereviews.co.uk that just gives you all the reviews by the mags and also there results of test, plus owners reviews to. Also there is a pop up link if you want to but the tyres from places like Blackcircle ect. :thumbsup:

The tyres that Kingo are offering are a very good price indeed. Also a very important thing to factor in when buying Winter tyres is are the tyres physical stock...

All the tyres on my website are physical, but once we have a snowflake or two falling, the physical situation will change very quickly

MOST tyre houses will tell you have have stocks, even the big wholesalers will, but very often they call upon stocks in Europe who then cannot supply

The tyres that Kingo are offering are a very good price indeed. Also a very important thing to factor in when buying Winter tyres is are the tyres physical stock...

All the tyres on my website are physical, but once we have a snowflake or two falling, the physical situation will change very quickly

MOST tyre houses will tell you have have stocks, even the big wholesalers will, but very often they call upon stocks in Europe who then cannot supply

I hope thats not the case with my order from Camskills. But we'll wait and see or I'll be giving you a ring mate :thumbsup:

I did a whole shipping order with mytyres last year, said they had stocks, they didnt, kept getting emails in Dutch and German, could never get hold of anybody on the phone, the phone would go to answerphone in German, the whole thing was a disaster, then after cancelling the order, I had some delivered in about March when we had temperatures of 20 degrees, the whole exercise was a disaster

This year, we have 12,000 tyres to draw off, when they are gone they are gone, no more available, so you have been warned :lol:

Well having made a few telephone calls, it appears that everywhere is sold out!!

Having now spoken to Kingo at his dealership, i have decided to go for the Yoko Winter tyres after all. Cheers mate - great price! :thumbsup:

Can i put 235/65/R17's or 225/60/R17's on?

Going from 225/65/R17, you want to be within +/- 3% in terms of rolling circumference, so:

* 235/65/R17 has a +1.79% difference in rolling circumference

* 225/60/R17 has a -3.11% difference in rolling circumference

So go with 235/65/R17.

Normally the rule for tyres in the snow is narrower width and higher profile. How much difference would 10mm (235-225) make? And 65% of 235 is more than 65% of 225. But it's all marginal.

............ I dont plan on driving off road or up dodgy little country lanes in the snow ..................

Aw go on, it is fun(as well as essential for me if I am going to get to work) :thumbsup:

Ahh, my dad still has the mighty 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee which was purchased last year purely for winter. Having used it in snow up to my @rse last year, it may well get a few runs off road and up said dodgy little country lanes just for the fun of it when the snow hits. A mere £1500 bucks it cost too - brilliant machine with only 60k on the clock for a P reg.

The photo below was taken after i returned from the Pentland hills with the dog. I was literally the only vehicle in the car park as it was about two feet deep once you got off this road. Great fun!

The Rav4 is my wifes car, and will be used strictly on tarmac! :D

154669_1714958030801_1143718375_1969562_2197406_n.jpg

Can i put 235/65/R17's or 225/60/R17's on?

Going from 225/65/R17, you want to be within +/- 3% in terms of rolling circumference, so:

* 235/65/R17 has a +1.79% difference in rolling circumference

* 225/60/R17 has a -3.11% difference in rolling circumference

So go with 235/65/R17.

Normally the rule for tyres in the snow is narrower width and higher profile. How much difference would 10mm (235-225) make? And 65% of 235 is more than 65% of 225. But it's all marginal.

Cheers mate. No longer required on this occassion, but thats intersting for future use. :thumbsup:

Ahh, my dad still has the mighty 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee which was purchased last year purely for winter. Having used it in snow up to my @rse last year, it may well get a few runs off road and up said dodgy little country lanes just for the fun of it when the snow hits. A mere £1500 bucks it cost too - brilliant machine with only 60k on the clock for a P reg.

The photo below was taken after i returned from the Pentland hills with the dog. I was literally the only vehicle in the car park as it was about two feet deep once you got off this road. Great fun!

The Rav4 is my wifes car, and will be used strictly on tarmac! :D

154669_1714958030801_1143718375_1969562_2197406_n.jpg

My first 4x4 was a N-reg Jeep Cherokee and was the reason why I got my RAV4 STAX 4.1 - the Jeep's engine blew first week I had it and Arnie Clark offered to swap it for a brand new RAV with 9 miles on the clock. Put a fixed T180 engine in the RAV4 STAX and eliminate any clunky gear change, and it would be perfect.

Loved the Cherokee though - great big leather armchairs for seats and loads of instrument dials telling you everything that's happening.

:thumbsup:

Booked DHL to collect in the morning, should be Monday to you, snow permitting :lol:

:thumbsup:

Booked DHL to collect in the morning, should be Monday to you, snow permitting :lol:

Superb :thumbsup:

So come on then ????? Proper snow tyres is it ????

Wee Charlie.

Thass ma boy! No going soft on here then! :thumbsup: Out of curiosity the mpg of the Jeep?

Thass ma boy! No going soft on here then! :thumbsup: Out of curiosity the mpg of the Jeep?

When cruising along at around 60mph you can get 20mpg. Anything else and its single figures! :censor:

As i said though, it was bought purely for the winter last year and gets used occassionaly the rest of the year. Has only done a couple of thousand miles since purchased. Its basically a spare vehicle which comes into its own when the snow arrives.

No exageration here, but last year in the horrendous snow (you might recall the day that central scotland was at a standstill and every major road was blocked) i lost count of the number of people who shouted abuse at me out of frustration. I still recall the "look at that f***ing c***" comment as i drove along an embankment to pass a jackknifed lorry. :yahoo:

I was driving over roundabouts, battering through mounds of snow and basically negotiating my way past everyone else who was stuck. It took me 9 hours to travel the 20 miles to get home, but it was superb fun!! Disclaimer: i did stop and help a few people, but i couldnt help everyone as the entire population was stranded. :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links