Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding 2 Stroke Oil To Diesel

jedi134

While on the subject of warranties. I wonder what the stance would be of using a tuning box that can be bought from a main dealer and the others that are on sale from other tuning companies. A lot of VW owners have there engines chipped (As do Honda ect) or Toyota owners use a piggy-back box because of the encripted Denso ECU. How would Toyota view this? :g:

I dunno but Toyota dealerships actually sell these, so they must know about them, I supose they put £s in there pocket so turn a blind eye :unsure:

I found this quote interseting also "ULSD has a lower energy content due to the heavy processing required to remove large amounts of sulfur from oil, leading to lower fuel economy. Using it requires more costly oil" Taken form here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

So the way I look at it is, the fuel companys have to meet strick emmision criteria every year, and do so by raping our fuel, ie taking all the goodies out of it, so by adding additives your just putting them back??????

Does anyone know what is actually put into these fuel additives??? Bk244, millers etc?

Does anyone know what is actually put into super fuels????

Does it state anywhere what these additive packages are/made up of????

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• dervdave

• Mistermena

• jedi134

You're right that ULSD tends to have a lower energy content but this is (or was) because of the extra additives that they add to make up for the loss of sulphur lubricity.

You will find tho' that most diesels use biodiesel blends to put back this lubricity and that has brought the energy content close enough to be basically the same.

V-Power diesel goes the other way; All those cleaning agents lowers the overall energy content, but because it burns more completely the power loss isn't so noticeable.

On a side note, using V-Power diesel and a quick motorway blast before an MOT is a good way to get a marginal car past the emissions tests ;)

My last comments on this posting, A few years ago I ran a MZ 301 Fun the one with the plastic tank, it had an auto lube system, anyway I did about 25miles per day each way seven days a week sun/snow, the gear selector return spring broke, I got some help from a MZ owners club member to replace it, He had never seen an engine so clean inside, I never put 2stroke in, I had bought some Fully synth engine oil in bulk, the bike was over 5years old the engine looked like new ran like new, And in reply to the fish industry testing engine designed to run for weeks at a time, Here in Blackburn Lancs, the Taxi clan run there Avensis's months at a time day in day out nights days even Christmas day the only time theyn stop them is to get them MOT'd,

While on the subject of warranties. I wonder what the stance would be of using a tuning box that can be bought from a main dealer and the others that are on sale from other tuning companies. A lot of VW owners have there engines chipped (As do Honda ect) or Toyota owners use a piggy-back box because of the encripted Denso ECU. How would Toyota view this? :g:

In most cases a tuning box can be removed by the owner without a trace when taking the car to the garage for warranty work as opposed to a remap.I didnt know toyota had an encrypted ecu (you learn something new everyday) so that prob rules out mr t bothering to check if its been remapped/chipped and a sign that toyota dont agree with this. The dealers are prob selling these "piggy backs" unknown to toyota as i dont think its a practice they would recommend because of the "encrypted ecu". I think by remapping/chipping a vehicle under warranty could throw serious doubt in most cases on an engine warranty claim if its spotted. Dont know for sure if chips are untraceable once removed, my own personal view is Tuning boxes are best for a warrantied vehicle :thumbsup:

I dunno but Toyota dealerships actually sell these, so they must know about them, I supose they put £s in there pocket so turn a blind eye :unsure:

I found this quote interseting also "ULSD has a lower energy content due to the heavy processing required to remove large amounts of sulfur from oil, leading to lower fuel economy. Using it requires more costly oil" Taken form here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

So the way I look at it is, the fuel companys have to meet strick emmision criteria every year, and do so by raping our fuel, ie taking all the goodies out of it, so by adding additives your just putting them back??????

Does anyone know what is actually put into these fuel additives??? Bk244, millers etc?

You hit an interesting point there jedi. How do we know the additives put in diesel by oil companys is any different than the on the shelf additives we can buy, thats not including two stroke oil by the way :D

An american forum views on using TS.

Along with the thread from the Landrover thread I posted earlier just have a unbiased read, nobody is saying you have to use it only to make up your own mind if there are any concievable benefits.

There is honestly no need for anyone to get het up about the subject.

If you don`t agree thats fair enough just don`t use me as the whipping boy i.e. Don`t shoot the messenger ! B)

http://www.dieselbombers.com/alternative-fuels-additives-fluids/953-2-stroke-oil-thread.html

did I say earlier that I used to pour the nice smelly oil into my Vespa scooter 40 years ago - made the exhaust smell like a race-track style smell... the thoughts now of a Vespa screaming down the road at 48mph :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

damned if I can remember which oil it was but it burnet nicely in what was a 2-stroke engine.

did I say earlier that I used to pour the nice smelly oil into my Vespa scooter 40 years ago - made the exhaust smell like a race-track style smell... the thoughts now of a Vespa screaming down the road at 48mph :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

damned if I can remember which oil it was but it burnet nicely in what was a 2-stroke engine.

Putolene ??

was it Castrol R? i know theres another famous name used in the racing bikes but cant remember it now :unsure:

I had plenty 2 stroke bikes in the 70s +80s ranging from a Montesa 250 trials bike to a watercooled Suzuki GT750 (a kettle) and can`t remember being very fussy which TS oil I used.

Defo not Castrol R though :)

In most cases a tuning box can be removed by the owner without a trace when taking the car to the garage for warranty work as opposed to a remap.I didnt know toyota had an encrypted ecu (you learn something new everyday) so that prob rules out mr t bothering to check if its been remapped/chipped and a sign that toyota dont agree with this. The dealers are prob selling these "piggy backs" unknown to toyota as i dont think its a practice they would recommend because of the "encrypted ecu". I think by remapping/chipping a vehicle under warranty could throw serious doubt in most cases on an engine warranty claim if its spotted. Dont know for sure if chips are untraceable once removed, my own personal view is Tuning boxes are best for a warrantied vehicle :thumbsup:

I would have thought that Mr T would be aware of these boxes as forum Member Kingo (Lindop Toyota main dealer) sells them from there own website. These piggy back boxes sell for £375. Some members have found these boxes to very good. Charlie Farlie has just bought one through eBay I believe. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbsup:

I found this quote interseting also "ULSD has a lower energy content due to the heavy processing required to remove large amounts of sulfur from oil, leading to lower fuel economy. Using it requires more costly oil" Taken form here http://en.wikipedia....w-sulfur_diesel

So here is whats in BG244...

EC 232-366-4 Kerosine

EC 265-198-5 Solvent Naphtha

Heavy Arom

Taken from the net...

The core ingredient of BG cleaners, PEA (Polyether-amine) is proven and documented by the Worldwide Fuel Charter to be the only chemistry proven to safely remove carbon from within a combustion engine. Providing the recommend dosages are not seriously abused our cleaners are no more dangerous than putting gasoline (or diesel for diesel engines) in the fuel tank.

I found this quote interseting also "ULSD has a lower energy content due to the heavy processing required to remove large amounts of sulfur from oil, leading to lower fuel economy. Using it requires more costly oil" Taken form here http://en.wikipedia....w-sulfur_diesel

You make a very good point regards what goes into super fuels and the additive package. Millers Diesel clean does smell a lot like BG244. But I'm unsure at this point exactly what additives they use. But I know that a lot of Lorries use the stuff as I saw a trucker using it and so I had a chat with him.

I would have thought that Mr T would be aware of these boxes as forum Member Kingo (Lindop Toyota main dealer) sells them from there own website. These piggy back boxes sell for £375. Some members have found these boxes to very good. Charlie Farlie has just bought one through eBay I believe. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbsup:

Your spot on Mate I bought and fitted one just a week ago.. If I were to have any issues with the car I would simply remove the box as its four plugs and a live and earth to the Battery and its off !!

My Jag has a Spires re map which is Jaguar approved so no worries.. It takes the power up to 315 BHP from 273. Touque is up from 600 to just under 700NM ....

Wee Charlie.

Your spot on Mate I bought and fitted one just a week ago.. If I were to have any issues with the car I would simply remove the box as its four plugs and a live and earth to the Battery and its off !!

My Jag has a Spires re map which is Jaguar approved so no worries.. It takes the power up to 315 BHP from 273. Touque is up from 600 to just under 700NM ....

Wee Charlie.

So if you took it back to Lindop would you still remove it as Kingo has warrented the box? Or would that only apply to a different dealer. I'm interested to know what Kingo's views on this is regarding how it would affect the warranty on your new engine. I personal dont think there would be an issue as the boxes are designed to operate within the manufactures specs. But Kingo would be able to tell us whats what. :thumbsup:

Mate My car has never been to Lindops... I will be having My T180 serviced at the Dealer that fitted the engine next time I'm in the Midlands. I will be removing the box prior to the service and popping it back on afterwards..

The box gives a fairly moderate increase in power and torque.. On setting six its only 200 BHP Not the full 215 or so when on the top setting so I feel its unlikely to give any problems.. I had the clutch replaced with the engine so that should also be up to the job...

My main reason for fitting said box is for the best fuel economy I can get !! It will get its real test this weekend as I will put 1000 miles on the car between Friday and Wednesday....

Same with the Jag... Moderate gains so less risk of consequential damage ..

Wee Charlie.

Mate My car has never been to Lindops... I will be having My T180 serviced at the Dealer that fitted the engine next time I'm in the Midlands. I will be removing the box prior to the service and popping it back on afterwards..

The box gives a fairly moderate increase in power and torque.. On setting six its only 200 BHP Not the full 215 or so when on the top setting so I feel its unlikely to give any problems.. I had the clutch replaced with the engine so that should also be up to the job...

My main reason for fitting said box is for the best fuel economy I can get !! It will get its real test this weekend as I will put 1000 miles on the car between Friday and Wednesday....

Wee Charlie.

Apologies Charlie for my error in the dealer that fitted your new engine. I do remember that it was a Midlands dealer that fitted your engine. I have my Tunit boxes on my cars for the very same reasons. I get an extra 12 mpg at 70mph on a run upto Staffordshire, so very happy with a box that only cost me £150. Mine is set to factory level 6 of 9. So I'm gessing mine is pushing out 200bhp mark. Interesting to know that the box you have has to have a live feed for it, my Tunit box just plugs into the rail and get its feed from there. Have you asked Kingo what the stance would be regarding the box and warranty?

Sorry if i sound confusing m8 but with mr t its prob a case of dont leave it on the car when servicing because if i dont see it it doesnt exist as charliefarlie states. Yes toyota dealers sell them but they are franchises. Toyota prob do know they are fitted to their cars once they leave the forcourt but how do you tell unless someone is silly enough to leave it attached to the car when taking it to dealer under warranty.

Wee Charlie.

Apologies Charlie for my error in the dealer that fitted your new engine. I do remember that it was a Midlands dealer that fitted your engine. I have my Tunit boxes on my cars for the very same reasons. I get an extra 12 mpg at 70mph on a run upto Staffordshire, so very happy with a box that only cost me £150. Mine is set to factory level 6 of 9. So I'm gessing mine is pushing out 200bhp mark. Interesting to know that the box you have has to have a live feed for it, my Tunit box just plugs into the rail and get its feed from there. Have you asked Kingo what the stance would be regarding the box and warranty?

The box I bought was only one month old.. It was bought from Kingo. So He very kindly said He would honour the warranty of the box for the remaining 23 months... I bought the box for just over half new price which was a useful saving !

I don't expect to get 12 extra MPG though ...I was hoping for between 4 and 7

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

The box I bought was only one month old.. It was bought from Kingo. So He very kindly said He would honour the warranty of the box for the remaining 23 months... I bought the box for just over half new price which was a useful saving !

Wee Charlie.

The 2 boxes I have are 6 months and 1 year old. Dan at Tunit gave me the remainder of the 3 years warranty with my two. Great service. I was very suprised and pleased to get 12 mpg extra out of my T-180. Its going to save me a small fortune travelling upto Staffs over the next years. :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

The 2 boxes I have are 6 months and 1 year old. Dan at Tunit gave me the remainder of the 3 years warranty with my two. Great service. I was very suprised and pleased to get 12 mpg extra out of my T-180. Its going to save me a small fortune travelling upto Staffs over the next years. :thumbsup:

Thats brilliant Mate ! Chuffed for You .... I am getting 39 MPG local driving with the box fitted.. I never checked it before so don't know if its gone up ?? But on the run I could do My 360 mile commute with 120 miles range left out of a full tank...

Before the engine replacement I was getting 60 miles left on the same commute...

I always fill brim the tank at the Shell garage at the Forth Bridge and refill at Jct 7 of the M5 so there will be no variance there ....

12 MPG Is outstanding... What Mpg do You get around town and on long motorway trips since fitting Your device ??

Your car is an Avensis ??

Wee Charlie.

Sorry if i sound confusing m8 but with mr t its prob a case of dont leave it on the car when servicing because if i dont see it it doesnt exist as charliefarlie states. Yes toyota dealers sell them but they are franchises. Toyota prob do know they are fitted to their cars once they leave the forcourt but how do you tell unless someone is silly enough to leave it attached to the car when taking it to dealer under warranty.

I think Toyota and other marques of car manufactures know that some customers want to gain better mpg and bhp over the ECU that is used on a large amount of the range of cars. Toyota also have there own tuning chip/box

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0ff89e36

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tOYOTA-Avensis-2008-2-2d4d-boost-kit-/160681513922?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25695d53c2

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

Thats brilliant Mate ! Chuffed for You .... I am getting 39 MPG local driving with the box fitted.. I never checked it before so don't know if its gone up ?? But on the run I could do My 360 mile commute with 120 miles range left out of a full tank...

Before the engine replacement I was getting 60 miles left on the same commute...

I always fill brim the tank at the Shell garage at the Forth Bridge and refill at Jct 7 of the M5 so there will be no variance there ....

12 MPG Is outstanding... What Mpg do You get around town and on long motorway trips since fitting Your device ??

Your car is an Avensis ??

Wee Charlie.

Yer my car is an Avensis T-180 estate. I'm getting 41.2 mpg round town and the last trip to England I got 48.7mpg at 70mph with cruise on. I always use V-Power derv and I think that the K&N air filter along with the synth oil helps. Tyres are at 36psi all round. Really am very pleased with the extra torque that the engine has now. I bet you'll see a massive difference in mpg with the box on that you've fitted. Would be nice to see how much you get now. :thumbsup:

I think Toyota and other marques of car manufactures know that some customers want to gain better mpg and bhp over the ECU that is used on a large amount of the range of cars. Toyota also have there own tuning chip/box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-toyota-motorsport-power-upgrade-chip-MK6-hilux-3-0td-/270850891318?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0ff89e36

well there you go, a genuine toyota tuning box, so looks like warranty is not a problem with one of those genuine ones attached but look at the price of it new :eek: its not hard to disconnect a cheapy for that price:D

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0ff89e36

well there you go, a genuine toyota tuning box, so looks like warranty is not a problem with one of those genuine ones attached but look at the price of it new :eek: its not hard to disconnect a cheapy for that price:D

Yep! It kinda looks that way. But who in there right mind would pay £800 for a box? Not this Welsh boy for sure! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links