Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adding 2 Stroke Oil To Diesel

jedi134

All this reading is giving me a headache! Lol... So much out there to look at. :unsure:

I think you`ll find that theres not much negativity from those who have actually used the stuff.

I must admit I'm a big fan of certain fuel treatments. BG244 and BG44 for my dear old mums petrol Citroen C3. I've used millers diesel clean ( And its many other new names) for more years than I care to mention. My thinking is the old derv use to have sulphur in it to lube the pump, but with the low sulpher we have now we've lost some of that protection. But I'm guessing there must be an awful lot of people out there that think like me or Millers and other companies would be out of buisness. And I'd hate to see the guys in Brighouse out of a job especially when they have such a good brass band up that way! :thumbsup:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieFarlie

• dervdave

• Mistermena

• jedi134

All this reading is giving me a headache! Lol... So much out there to look at. :unsure:

I think you`ll find that theres not much negativity from those who have actually used the stuff.

I must admit I'm a big fan of certain fuel treatments. BG244 and BG44 for my dear old mums petrol Citroen C3. I've used millers diesel clean ( And its many other new names) for more years than I care to mention. My thinking is the old derv use to have sulphur in it to lube the pump, but with the low sulpher we have now we've lost some of that protection. But I'm guessing there must be an awful lot of people out there that think like me or Millers and other companies would be out of buisness. And I'd hate to see the guys in Brighouse out of a job especially when they have such a good brass band up that way! :thumbsup:

Yeah Millers probably works out cheaper than two stroke oil as well :)

Lol... Yer it may do an all at £59 for a 5ltr can. :thumbsup:

Guys this is the Rav Forum ?? There are well documented issues with the 2AD engines.. The main issue is the oil burning which will in turn clog up DPFs and Cats... So with that in mind is it viable to start putting oil that should not be and definitely would not be in line with Toyota guidelines in Your tank ?

We could argue the toss here for ever and a day... The Forum mechanic above has said He would not do it.. Neither would I....

I Have said I wont and why but please those who recommend doing so tell Us what the advantages are and why it wont jeopardise the warranty or possibly clog DPFs or Cats...

I don't see why a sensible debate should become so heated.. Surely We can present a reasoned argument without falling out ???

Wee Charlie.

I`m half way through my 2nd and is the reason I stopped using TS :)

My can has lasted for over 6 years! Just about to buy another from Wilko direct or Opie Oils. I'll shop about later for it.

My can has lasted for over 6 years! Just about to buy another from Wilko direct or Opie Oils. I'll shop about later for it.

I thought it must`ve been a while ago they`re are £60 odd now

....metered doses of excisable licquor, usually decreasing in volume the further south of Gretna that one is daft enough to travel and order in a hostelry....?

Wrong in this case Kev its `nips` as in nipples as on TITS ! :lol:

....YE WILLNAE BELIEVE THIS, DEE....AH HAD ACTUALLY WORKED THAT OOT MASELL (excuse catapult letters...).

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall make the sandwiches..." St.Kev....book of Diesels...verses 1 to 2.....

Big Kev :lol:

....metered doses of excisable licquor, usually decreasing in volume the further south of Gretna that one is daft enough to travel and order in a hostelry....?

Wrong in this case Kev its `nips` as in nipples as on !Removed! ! :lol:

....YE WILLNAE BELIEVE THIS, DEE....AH HAD ACTUALLY WORKED THAT OOT MASELL (excuse catapult letters...).

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall make the sandwiches..." St.Kev....book of Diesels...verses 1 to 2.....

Big Kev :lol:

Beg your pudden Kev :lol:

Not having done that much research on putting 2 stroke oil in with my V-Power derv. I'd not do it. But using a lube/cleaning agent is another matter. Some would argue that its a over kill having high grade derv and a cleaner. But I'm happy to do it and I've had diesel powered cars from 1985.

Not having done that much research on putting 2 stroke oil in with my V-Power derv. I'd not do it.

And why should you if you`ve any doubts :)

I must admit to being a little bemused by this thread, probably from my lack of knowledge, but I always thought two stroke oil went into petrol engines for lube purposes and was burnt off in the combustion process

Did you know you can get two stroke diesel engines Gus ?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke.htm

many years ago i was a junior engineer with BP Tanker Company.the first ship i joined had a vertical apposed Doxford two stroke engine.we used to change the piston ring whilst at sea.the piston were near 6 foot high.to open up the rings so to remove them from the piston it took two of us tugging on a rope.they were the days.

I have been running diesels for over 40 years both old and new cars and have never used any additive simply because if the car can't handle fuel from the a legal source then there is something wrong with its fuel system be that either by design or poor maintainance.

Modern high pressure diesel engines can be fussy when it comes to the viscosity of its fuel so why attempt to alter such by adding Two-stroke oil.

Has anyone asked Toyota for their opinion on additives after all they or their suppliers designed the sytem??

I have been running diesels for over 40 years both old and new cars and have never used any additive simply because if the car can't handle fuel from the a legal source then there is something wrong with its fuel system be that either by design or poor maintainance.

Modern high pressure diesel engines can be fussy when it comes to the viscosity of its fuel so why attempt to alter such by adding Two-stroke oil.

Has anyone asked Toyota for their opinion on additives after all they or their suppliers designed the sytem??

I would think that Toyota would strongly advise against adding Anything ! Including stuff like exhaustively tested stuff like Millers..

Unquote..

Exactly the point No let Me rephrase that. THE MAIN POINT I am trying to make !!

Where are the arguments or opinions as to why We Should use 2ST oils in Diesel ??

Wee Charlie.

I hear and understand what your saying James but the relative miniscule amount thats mixed with the diesel won`t alter the viscosity by any measurable amount, after all its only light oil like diesel itself. :)

I hear and understand what your saying James but the relative miniscule amount thats mixed with the diesel won`t alter the viscosity by any measurable amount, after all its only light oil like diesel itself. :)

Yes I agree but do both act similarly across the temperature range??

r and understand what your saying James but the relative miniscule amount thats mixed with the diesel won`t alter the viscosity by any measurable amount, after all its only light oil like diesel itself. :)

Yes I agree but do both act similarly across the temperature range??

Unlikely.... It only takes a tiny amount of the wrong ingredient to ruin the cake..... Do Shell put 2ST oil in the Vpower diesel ?? Doubt it ...

The seals in the extremely high pressure pumps on the later common rail engines are extremely delicate if treated wrongly.. :thumbsup:

I think what is worth stating is if your car is under warranty why risk this as toyota will probably take samples of fuel from the pump etc if your car has a fuel system issue or failure in the warranty period as standard procedure. Its a free world to to what you like with your toyota or any other car you might own but nobody should recommend to other forum members to do this unless adding "AT YOUR OWN RISK!" after any recommendation on additives. I have my own views on this which are mixed but i personally wouldnt put additives into a vehicle under warranty

I think what is worth stating is if your car is under warranty why risk this as toyota will probably take samples of fuel from the pump etc if your car has a fuel system issue or failure in the warranty period as standard procedure. Its a free world to to what you like with your toyota or any other car you might own but nobody should recommend to other forum members to do this unless adding "AT YOUR OWN RISK!" after any recommendation on additives. I have my own views on this which are mixed but i personally wouldnt put additives into a vehicle under warranty

Well put.. I tried to say the same above .. Anyone Who has a car with the 2AD Diesel engine benefits from the extended 7 Year warranty.

Though I doubt the warranty would stand if Toyota twigged that un approved additives of any description had been used .....

Wee Charlie.

Well guys we're up to seven pages. Only another 37 to match the Scooby forum on the same issue....................

There seems to be very few recent independent tests to support the benefits of any fuel additive in diesel engines.

A few years back the The Sea Fish Industry Authority carried out tests on a diesel marine engine which is designed to run continuous for weeks at a time.

Whilst the marine environment isn't the same as driving I think you have to accept it is a tough and expensive environment and any savings would be most welcome.

See link below.

http://www.seafish.org/media/Publications/Diesel_Fuel_additives_-_Summary_Report.pdf

All i am saying is this gives mr t the get out clause he dearly loves, i know what you mean james it has been tried and tested in many different industries but to be fair has been around and tested in engines for years but not so many current tests carried out on the latest hybrid diesel engines although some fuel saving technology has been down to modified electrics and ecu,s rather than refined engines or fuel systems. There is so many diesel engines nowadays with complicated sensor setups on fuel systems it just doesnt pay to mess with them for the little savings to be had or smoother running engine. This conversation only applies to warranty vehicles and by all means if you think the savings and benefits out weigh the price of a new fuel system or possible engine parts by all means carry on :thumbsup:

oops double post :blushing::blushing:

Yes I would agree modern diesel engines have so many electronic controls it ain't worth the risk in my opinion.

My view is - if it ain't broke why try to fix it.

While on the subject of warranties. I wonder what the stance would be of using a tuning box that can be bought from a main dealer and the others that are on sale from other tuning companies. A lot of VW owners have there engines chipped (As do Honda ect) or Toyota owners use a piggy-back box because of the encripted Denso ECU. How would Toyota view this? :g:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links