Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Haolebuilt Ii Build Thread

surfcitylocal

Taz, me is Lovin' those DRL's. That is a very nice effect. How they're fitted looks very professional. I'd like to get some fog lights fitted to my iQ, but as it's a regular bog standard iq not sure if that's possible, or how much to fit them. :huh:

Taz, me is Lovin' those DRL's. That is a very nice effect. How they're fitted looks very professional. I'd like to get some fog lights fitted to my iQ, but as it's a regular bog standard iq not sure if that's possible, or how much to fit them. :huh:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Bob, I think your iQ has a one piece lower grill whereas our Scion version has a separate space for the fog lights. Maybe someone on here with a Toyota would know if adding the fogs requires changing the entire grill. I know with the Scion the entire filler piece is removed and replace with the fog light housing. That little modification from the dealer is $350 bucks but you can find them on eBay for less and do the labor.

These may be the DRL LED's Taz describes. Have a look at the description of them its as Taz describes them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-60-cm-ULTRA-THIN-white-daytime-running-lights-DRL-/230638699260?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b32342fc#ht_993wt_984

I bought some to have a play with

David

These may be the DRL LED's Taz describes. Have a look at the description of them its as Taz describes them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-60-cm-ULTRA-THIN-white-daytime-running-lights-DRL-/230638699260?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b32342fc#ht_993wt_984 I bought some to have a play with David

They look very similar David. The only thing I would make sure of is the direction of the LED. The ones I used shine from the side rather than straight up. That way when they are attached to the edge of the headlight they shine forward. Sorry, hard to explain.

Keep us informed David won't you. Might just be interested myself at that price! :)

Is there a circuit in place for the DRL's on models not originally equipped with them or do you wire them up yourself to another source?

I believe in the description they do shine from the sides or the 2mm thick side anyway.

Craig.

Yes I took note of Taz's description about pointing sideways. I already have DRL's and designed a circuit that switches them off when side or headlights are on and auto switch back. Taz can you describe how yours are physically fitted to perspex. Can you get a close up of how they sit in the gap between the body and lens cheers

David

I think they look better than David's (sorry mate) and what I've got (yet to be fitted). From a distance they look factory fit, but would like a close up.

Fish

This is about a close of a pic as I have right now. I'll try and get one that shows how the gap is filled.

DSCN1051.jpg

The LED strip has a self stick backing that is attached to the outer edge of the headlight.

Hi Taz

Is there a small lip on the perspex cover then? and when the bumper is re-fitted, are the LED's obscured until they are illuminated. Would it be possible to take a close-up or macro of the edge between the bumper and the perspex? cheers

David

Dan

Its a difficult compromise between style and bling. A lot of cars have these now around the headlight, but I'm still not sure.

It's like I have changed my mirror covers to chrome but I wouldn't put lights under my car. Plus I'm a podgy 57 year old HaHa

David

Djeezus.. you sound an old man... I am 62... so what's new pussycat? :euro:

David, if you're unsure I'll give them a try if you want. :)

Dont worry about the age/heft, the bulk of the drivers I see are on the more mature age range. ;)

Fish

Look good, and much like Taz's lights. Would you remove the set of DRL's you have now then and just use these insead? Or, or, keep both sets! Who wouldn't see you coming then? I think a set of red DRL's for the rear would be a good idea too, not as bright as the front lights, but enough that people behind can see you clearly. Of course, they would need to be placed away from normal lights. Thinking here is about the power used to illuminate on sidelights.

The 2013 Mustang has something similar. The rear lights are surrounded by a Red LED 'border' to highlight the lights.

http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2013-mustang/06.htm

Here are some close up pics. I'll be replacing the set so as to move it farther back behind the body. I don't like the way they can be seen. The side edge will be pushed back more like the bottom string of lights.

DSCN1088.jpg

DSCN1087.jpg

DSCN1086.jpg

DSCN1089.jpg

Thanks Taz,

For the pictures. Here are the ones I bought up close. Sorry but my iPhone camera has some difficulty with certain light conditions.

Not sure about wether to keep both sets of DRL's or, remember I also have the same repeater lights under the mirrors that Taz has which also can be wired as DRL's or side lights. Bit worried about how good the 3M sticky tape is in the wet and wether they will peel off. How does it go " It never rains in California but girl don't they warn ya, it pours man it pours " For people who have not seen these sort of things before, the picture of the scissors is where you can cut the strip down to size (every 3 x LED's)

David

post-109788-0-42949900-1330175435_thumb.

post-109788-0-43136600-1330175462_thumb.

post-109788-0-00749700-1330175486_thumb.

post-109788-0-00686300-1330175529_thumb.

Taz have you thought about getting rid of your "fried egg" indicator bulbs david

I have David. I've already removed the orange running light in the front and am looking for a replacement bulb for the turn signal. I'm also toying with the idea of removing the orange reflector inside the headlight. So much to do. LOL

As far as the 3M tape holding up, I've had many body parts (wings and such) held on by the 3M tape and have never had any problems at all.

We don't have a orange reflector with-in the headlight in the uk, its just the coated bulb and as you may have seen in other threads some of us have replaced them with silver dome ones. Oh ok I see what you mean now. If you can't get them out as the unit may be sealed , you could get 2 replacement ones from Europe as the beam points the same direction as in the USA.

david

Taz

Any reason for using 3k HID's in your fog lights? I have been doing a bit of reading about fog lights and it would appear that the water molecules in fog and mist are quit heavy and make no difference to the colour temperature and that its an "old wives tale about needing fogs to be "Yellow" to cut through it.

David

I did extensive research into the matter David and after much serious consideration I came to the conclusion that they look cool! :goof:

You are correct about the light actually bouncing off the heavier water molecules, the yellow reflection seems less bothersome than the white. I find that with the fog lights riding lower to the ground than the headlights there appears to be a better effect than using the high beam headlights.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a bluetooth OBD port reader from Amazon and downloaded the Torque app on my Android phone. Lots of fun.

The phone, software CD and ODB port scanner.

DSCN1195.jpg

The Torque app on my Droid Razr.

DSCN1203.jpg

The display on my phone.

DSCN1204.jpg

I'm going to upgrade to the paid app for more options. This was really simple to do and a ton of fun to play with.

Because of the location of the ODB port, the sender unit is in a spot that's likely to be hit by my knee so I relocated the port behind the dash.

I'll do a DIY thread on moving it but the simple explanation is I used 3M moulding tape to hold the sender unit to the knee air bag bracket. Now it's out of the way and won't be damaged.

DSCN1222.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links