Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ice Warning

Hoovie

Today I drove to from near Coldstream across to Gretna to do some shopping in the outlet centre.  

On the way home again, the "Ice Warning" came up. Useful you may think, but not really as it only appeared when the temperature ROSE to 3c. All the way there, the temperature ranged from 2c down to -1c, and it was only after around 80-90 miles of driving I was advised that there was a possible 'Ice on Road' condition, and that warning came as the risk would have actually lowered.

I have looked in the manual and this is actually meant to be how it works!! if the temp is below 3c when the ignition is turned on, the Ice Warning is not shown :wacko:

I have to say that I can see this 'useful' feature being pointless for quite a lot of the time, at least up in Scotland :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoovie

• Davrav

• anchorman

• jedi134

It shows when the temp falls below 3C after you have been driving. It doesn't show if it is lower than 3C when you get in as it assumes you already know!

Today I drove to from near Coldstream across to Gretna to do some shopping in the outlet centre.  

On the way home again, the "Ice Warning" came up. Useful you may think, but not really as it only appeared when the temperature ROSE to 3c. All the way there, the temperature ranged from 2c down to -1c, and it was only after around 80-90 miles of driving I was advised that there was a possible 'Ice on Road' condition, and that warning came as the risk would have actually lowered.

I have looked in the manual and this is actually meant to be how it works!! if the temp is below 3c when the ignition is turned on, the Ice Warning is not shown :wacko:

I have to say that I can see this 'useful' feature being pointless for quite a lot of the time, at least up in Scotland :rolleyes:

Perhaps whoever designed the system figured that if it's below 3C when you get in the car you've probably already slipped on your @rse at least once so you know it's icy :lol:

I think it presumes at -1c etc you've probably guessed it could be icy, so doesn't warn you.

I get your point though, you'd think it wouldn't bother telling you when it goes UP to 3c.

Dave

Mine doesn't but if it flicks between 3 and 2 then you get the warning.

I think it presumes at -1c etc you've probably guessed it could be icy, so doesn't warn you.

I get your point though, you'd think it wouldn't bother telling you when it goes UP to 3c.

Dave

I think you'll find that a lot of marques of cars do this. My Polo does it at 4c...The "BING" warning is that loud that it frights the life out of you!:fear:

Well, I personally don't rely on this kind of warning and keep an eye on the temp gauge in cold weather anyway - and today I knew it was icy as I slid along the driveway as I walked to the car :) , but IMO there is no reason why the ECU could (should!) not be configured with the logic effectively as :

IF TEMP =< 3C then DISPLAY "ICE WARNING"

instead of

IF TEMP = 3C then DISPLAY "ICE WARNING"

It would make a lot more sense and actually, if the temp WAS 2c, it is quite feasible someone would not notice it was that much colder then say 4c as they got into the car, and as the temp dropped further, the ICE WARNING would never appear (and with litigious lawyers looking for claims to persue .......)

My BMW beeps at startup if below 3C, or if temperature falls below 3C, but only once per journey. Not been out in the RAV in the chilly stuff yet. Bring on the snow!

Well, I personally don't rely on this kind of warning and keep an eye on the temp gauge in cold weather anyway - and today I knew it was icy as I slid along the driveway as I walked to the car :) , but IMO there is no reason why the ECU could (should!) not be configured with the logic effectively as :

IF TEMP =< 3C then DISPLAY "ICE WARNING"

instead of

IF TEMP = 3C then DISPLAY "ICE WARNING"

It would make a lot more sense and actually, if the temp WAS 2c, it is quite feasible someone would not notice it was that much colder then say 4c as they got into the car, and as the temp dropped further, the ICE WARNING would never appear (and with litigious lawyers looking for claims to persue .......)

Ice crystals actually begin to form at 4C :unsure:

I'm struck almost dumb. Surely you would know if its freezing point by the fact that the diesel will have waxed ? Ot from the plumes of smoke coming out the exhaust ?? :lol:

It only comes up if the temp falls below 3C when driving. Not if already below and not rising. Seems ok to me. :unsure:

It only comes up if the temp falls below 3C when driving. Not if already below and not rising. Seems ok to me. :unsure:

It DOES come up if the temp RISES to 3C. I still think it is silly :rolleyes:

It DOES come up if the temp RISES to 3C. I still think it is silly :rolleyes:

My wife and I discussed this today. Temperature starts at 4C and drops to 3C then you get the warning. Temp starts at -15 (last year) then rises to 3C parked in underground car park at work and the ice warning comes on!!! Bit daft I'd agree.

My golf shows a snow flake and the current temp accompanied by a bing when 4c or below, whether driving or not.

It does seem rather silly not warning you on start up, this is when you want to know the temp.

At least the RAV has lots of information displayed - my Aygo has only got a speedometer, odometer and one trip meter; no idea of engine or outside temperature. The Tom Tom is very useful though for alerting me when I am over the speed limit or approaching fixed speed cameras.

David

in my day we looked at the trees if it were covered in ice it were cold enuf to slow down

its like that tyre warnin lite it only comes on after an huor so what if you has a flat after 5 minites ? can you turn the ice worning lite off? its a pain in the bum ?

According to the IQ program on telly,water does NOT freeze at 0 degrees centigrade.It thaws at this temp.

The Mondeos i had, your had a amber coloured warning with a bleep warning at 3 degrees c,and a red one again with the bleep at 0 degrees.

According to my memory of GCSE physics, ice crystals begin forming at 4C and begin thawing at 0C. That is for pure H2O, add contaminants and that all changes.

According to my memory of GCSE physics, ice crystals begin forming at 4C and begin thawing at 0C. That is for pure H2O, add contaminants and that all changes.

JUST LIKE MA TEACHERS AT SCHOOL, BOAB.....keep repeating it and it might sink in !!!!!!

I concur with Hoovie....I was about 10 minutes into a 1 degree journey yesterday, when the temperature went up to 3 degrees, it warned me of ice.....confoundedly (no more bad words....) useless !!!!

Big Kev :angry:

Judging by some of the folks on the lanes near us, backward into the tree's seems to be the only true measurement of the icy conditions. :rolleyes:

I got in the Prius on Sat morning, checked the path and road but no ice, jumped in, temp was plus 3, drive round the estate about 25 MPH and next thing the Prius is going sideways :rolleyes: managed to get on a bit of black ice :D:

No damage done, except to the undies :sick:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think your memory is playing tricks !

I suspect you are thinking of the anomolous expansion of water between 4C and 0C.

The melting point of ice at standard atmospheric pressure is 0C and if pure this is also the temperature at which pure water will freeze.

Cheers,

David

I think your memory is playing tricks !

I suspect you are thinking of the anomolous expansion of water between 4C and 0C.

The melting point of ice at standard atmospheric pressure is 0C and if pure this is also the temperature at which pure water will freeze.

Cheers,

David

As I understand it, ice crystals begin to form at 4C in anything other than pure water and can thus be in suspension in un-frozen water, hence very silppery. Water will freeze into solid ice below 0C and will start to thaw at 0C :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links