Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ice Warning

Hoovie

Its suprising how quick temps can change.Went to a fishing match on the River Cam,the water was clear of ice when i arrived just as the organisers were putting the peg markers out,when they had finished the water was still clear of ice.the draw for peg numberes was then done and by the time i had walked to my the peg number i had drawn, the ice had formed thick enough to resist 2.5 oz lead weights going through when thrown on it.Thats the first time i heared the expression Dawn Dip.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hoovie

• Davrav

• anchorman

• jedi134

All very well,

But......C A N Y O U T U R N I T O F F.

Yes - just put a nice little knitted woolly bonnet on the ambient temperature sensor and it'll stay nice and snug and won't be able to tell the system how cold it really is :thumbsup:

I think the reason it bongs at ~4C is that in the shade of trees and buildings, Ice might remain.

Some of the French cars have it sussed. When the outside temperature drops below 4 degrees there is an initial bleep then the display flashes slowly - that way you have a continuous reminder.

Some of the French cars have it sussed. When the outside temperature drops below 4 degrees there is an initial bleep then the display flashes slowly - that way you have a continuous reminder.

Nah James....the temperature flasher goes, then them Francaises say it's too cold to work....but strangely enough, their strikes are always called off just after lunchtime....is it because that's when the temperature is at its highest.....? Naw....it shortens the returning from strike working day....needed that wee TRUE rant.......

Euro Kev :lol:

According to my memory of GCSE physics, ice crystals begin forming at 4C and begin thawing at 0C. That is for pure H2O, add contaminants and that all changes.

I think your memory is playing tricks !

I suspect you are thinking of the anomolous expansion of water between 4C and 0C.

The melting point of ice at standard atmospheric pressure is 0C and if pure this is also the temperature at which pure water will freeze.

Cheers,

David

As I understand it, ice crystals begin to form at 4C in anything other than pure water and can thus be in suspension in un-frozen water, hence very silppery. Water will freeze into solid ice below 0C and will start to thaw at 0C :unsure:

Yep - more info at My link

David

I took the Wife into town this morning and the roads were sheet ice.. As I returned home and turned into the bottom of Our road the ice warning came on .... Bit late ?? it the beeped 3 times coming our road.. Not a lot of use really.. Even the one on My old Transit was amber from 5 down to 3 ( I think ) then turned red.. It worked from the moment the key was turned and could be turned off..

3 degrees is a dangerous temp as freezing rain can occur then and if you have ever drove on them conditions, hard baked snow or the usual road ice is a doddle. it makes sense to include an ice warning at that temp because any lower and it falls as snow or sleet and you expect dangerous conditions then

3 degrees is a dangerous temp as freezing rain can occur then and if you have ever drove on them conditions, hard baked snow or the usual road ice is a doddle. it makes sense to include an ice warning at that temp because any lower and it falls as snow or sleet and you expect dangerous conditions then

Yes I agree Mate.. It would be of far more use if it warned when the key was turned on and not when arriving home .. To be honest I only had to glance at the road surface to know the score.. But if a warning system is fitted and a bleeping system can be irritating the it should at least be efficient ???

Yes I agree Mate.. It would be of far more use if it warned when the key was turned on and not when arriving home .. To be honest I only had to glance at the road surface to know the score.. But if a warning system is fitted and a bleeping system can be irritating the it should at least be efficient ???

Yup, that is the key thing, I reckon. If a car is fitted with a warning system, it should actually work as a warning system and not what is in reality a "sometimes a warning, sometime an irrelevance" way.

In someways, I'd prefer no warning to a part-time working one :rolleyes:

Are you sure it wasnt above the temp the warning light works at this morning charlie as ive found sheet ice still hangs around a long time after freezing. sun morn here sheet ice on untreated surfaces but on the thaw with water on it and it was 5 degrees the temp fluctuates alot these mornings but a nice 6-7 degrees this week

• 3 weeks later...

rav 4.3 here.

i hate this issue. when the temperature is between 3 and 4 degrees, it is annoying to drive the car. it beeps and display the warning on the display through my av. consumption. sometimes it happends it was 5 TIMES PER MINUTE!!! i hate this sound. maybe there is a way to reflash it?

a question to electronic guys: is it possible to replace the beeper with some more intelligent sound like ding? i know that they are selling somethings like that in the electroshops like conrad, or maplin in uk. but does it have the right voltage and impedance?

Yup, that is the key thing, I reckon. If a car is fitted with a warning system, it should actually work as a warning system and not what is in reality a "sometimes a warning, sometime an irrelevance" way.

In someways, I'd prefer no warning to a part-time working one :rolleyes:

Its a bit like the efficiency of the TPMS ... I leave the house at 5 in the morning.. In central Scotland with the standard wheels and tyres in the garage.. The TPMS lets Me know that some things up around an hour and a half and 100 miles later on the M6 at Penrith..

Of course I knew and expected the light to come on and was waiting for it just so I could switch it off... But what if I had a real problem ? Is it considered safe to run on a run flat tyre for a hundred miles at 70 on the motorway ?? Mmmmmmm.

Of course I knew and expected the light to come on and was waiting for it just so I could switch it off... But what if I had a real problem ? Is it considered safe to run on a run flat tyre for a hundred miles at 70 on the motorway ?? Mmmmmmm.

The reason for that behaviour is that the receiver is waiting to make sure that the valves really, really aren't there. Because, believe it or not, people also get hacked off with false alarms.

Under normal operation the TPMS receiver will not hear every transmission from the valve. It's the nature of low power radio data transmission to some extent.

With normal pressure, the valve will only transmit every few minutes or so. If it didn't and transmitted a lot, the Battery would expire pretty quickly.

So the receiver waits a good long time, just in case it missed the transmissions, then eventually puts the light on to say there is a system fault.

If the valve detected a deflating tyre, the transmissions would become quite rapid, so you would be told about it relatively quickly.

The Toyota system is quite crude in this respect. High end systems can "request" the transmission from the valve, so the fault condition would be detected far more quickly. With this system, there's not much else you can do but wait and see.

Be interesting to see how many people start to complain soon about TPMS systems in general, seeing as, IFAIK, TPMS will be obligatory for all new cars from Nov 2012 (not sure if that is for REGISTERED after Nov 2012 or TYPE APPROVED after 2012) and in preparation for that, we will see it more and more.

Personally, I think TPMS is a great thing, but ONLY when done right and it works as normal people reasonably expect it to work (bit like how the ICE WARMING should work :rolleyes: )

Age old problem these Ice warnings, The one on the TITANIC didn't work either!!! (at this point i would have shown the emoticon of the little man in the boat) "naughty" But when i click on, show all emoticons me cursor vanishes, then when i get it back the emoticon vanishes, This is like groundhog day :drunk:

Stew

i mean sth like this (to replace the standard stupid peeep sound with another less stupid and annoying sound) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Mini-Buzzer-Brand-New-Model-Beeper-12-Volts-/230549898757?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35add84605#ht_500wt_989 , but a bit advanced, with sound module. door chime? well, i am not an electrician, but i am sure that something like this should exist for 12V. shcm?

but a bit advanced, with sound module. door chime? well, i am not an electrician, but i am sure that something like this should exist for 12V. shcm?

99% certain the sounder is in the instrument pack itself, so unless you want to hack the pack about, it's not going to be easy for somebody not used to that sort of thing.

As for multiple warnings, I'm fairly certain it only applied to about the first 9-12 months of production. Later vehicles appear to only give one warning per journey (ignition cycle). Perhaps there is a pack software update, but I don't remember a TSB or anything.

I have to say that I can see this 'useful' feature being pointless for quite a lot of the time, at least up in Scotland :rolleyes:

Irritating ... beeep .... beeep 3C! :gun_bandana:

Jozsef

from Scotland

but a bit advanced, with sound module. door chime? well, i am not an electrician, but i am sure that something like this should exist for 12V. shcm?

99% certain the sounder is in the instrument pack itself, so unless you want to hack the pack about, it's not going to be easy for somebody not used to that sort of thing.

As for multiple warnings, I'm fairly certain it only applied to about the first 9-12 months of production. Later vehicles appear to only give one warning per journey (ignition cycle). Perhaps there is a pack software update, but I don't remember a TSB or anything.

i mean the hw change. i think that the current is coming to the beeper, so can we replace the beeper with something with the nicer sound, but the same resistance?

i will go to mr toy one day. to ask him. maybe he will know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links