Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dreaded Tyres

Hodgey16

Go on then Charlie write it up!!!! Just out of interest I have changed the Run-flats on my Cooper S to normal tyres, I was fed up of the very bad ride the Run-flat delivered.

Got to agree with comment about Toyota and the T180 Run-flat senario, two massive companies like Bridgestone and Toyota dupping their customers with the whole Run-flat saga and then walking away from it.

Regards Clare

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stupidmia

• CharlieFarlie

• Hoovie

• Big Kev

Just spent nearly two hours writing up a guide and the !Removed! stupid effing system dumped the lot !! NOT AMUSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie - bung it on AutoTrader on-line with the cheapest option (does anyone read the paper copy anymore?).

Last March I put my T180 on AutoTrader on-line on a Saturday afternoon, and it sold the following Sunday morning. And I had a queue of others waiting if it fell through.

And mine was quite a bit more - even with your troubles your price is very low, especially as it has a new engine.

Have you looked on the A-Trader at T180's? The prices have a 4k swing from 11,500-16,000 for cars of similiar ages and mileages, its a buyers minefield!

If anybody knows of anyone in the Cheshire area who can remove the runflats and replace with normal tyres for a reasonable price I'd be interested to know please. Got a very slow puncture on my passenger side tyre. (takes a about a week to loose (3-4psi). Will keep topping up for now, but want to be prepared for when i have the dosh.

Rung one Toyota garage and was told £300 plus vat for labour.

if you have spotted the location where the air is escaping, try using one of the 'String' type repair kits. Won't need to remove the tyre and no gunge to spray in to bugger up the TPMS Sensor.

Just spent nearly two hours writing up a guide and the !Removed! stupid effing system dumped the lot !! NOT AMUSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a real bummer when that happens & this site often does it!

As a result I now do any long or complicated threads on Word and coppy it onto the forum reply box at the end. It also means you can save the Word file for later ref if it's something like instructions, etc.

Sorry if it's stating the obvious but sometimes the obvious ain't so obvious.....if you know what I mean........

For all of us with regular tyres, these are the doughnut thingies that everyone seems to be ditching: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e6b43fc72 They seem to crop up on eBay quite a lot, so would guess it's a common thing to switch to regular tyres.

Wasn't surprised to see this listing end with no bids :P

For all of us with regular tyres, these are the doughnut thingies that everyone seems to be ditching: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e6b43fc72 They seem to crop up on ebay quite a lot, so would guess it's a common thing to switch to regular tyres.

Wasn't surprised to see this listing end with no bids :P

Got 4 in perfect nick myself, Bill....wouldn't waste ma time putting them on eBay for exactly reason you just outlined....LOOKS LIKE RESPONSIBLE RECYCLING IS CALLED FOR UNLESS ANYBODY STATES OTHERWISE....?

Big Kev

I had my two front bands removed...but never thought about telling my insurance company!! Just renewed my multicar policy too...so would be a charge for making change plus any extra premium!!

The stupidity and greed of Toyota has spoiled the car somewhat

Changing two and keeping two is a complete NO NO .. It would greatly upset the suspension and balance of the car due to the massive weight difference....

I had my two front bands removed...but never thought about telling my insurance company!! Just renewed my multicar policy too...so would be a charge for making change plus any extra premium!!

The stupidity and greed of Toyota has spoiled the car somewhat

Changing two and keeping two is a complete NO NO .. It would greatly upset the suspension and balance of the car due to the massive weight difference....

woops Stupidmia.....totally missed your posting on Page 1, and must totally concur with Charlie that there surely must be some sort of "imbalance" at play here....? If nothing else the ride quality must be strange®, and I would think there would be some questions asked in the event of an accident (if this practise was discovered....?)

Koncerned Kev

Makes sense....but cant say I noticed a difference at all! At the time..the rears had and still have loads of tread on...so didnt change them for cost reasons...still prob wont yet

Makes sense....but cant say I noticed a difference at all! At the time..the rears had and still have loads of tread on...so didnt change them for cost reasons...still prob wont yet

There is no doubt that there will be a difference .. One thing is for sure if You have an accident and the car gets inspected and they see a mix of wheels shod with run flats and normal ones it could present You with a major headache...

The choise My Friend is Yours....

Really haven't felt any noticeable difference...even hossing down the motorway fully loaded for week in Derbyshire...but I suppose I should consider changing back two...they have been on 27K amd still in the green zone for mot check...but they may have hardened due to age? Hey ho...another 355 quid!

Out of interest...is anyone who has removed the rings insured through Admiral? If so..what was their take on it? Did they put up the premium by much??

I spent a lot of time looking into the insurance implications as I think Big Kev will bear out So below are a few of the main points..

Yes You can change ALL FOUR tyres for non run flats as this effectively just brings the spec of the car up to that of the latest SR Ravs.

You should and must inform Your insurance as changes to the car have been made but not detrimental ones so NO increase in premium is likely or be asked for...

Having the Run flats removed by machine then removing the BSR rings and re fitting the tyres is a definite NO NO ..............

See here for why

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133751

Mixing run flats on a Rav with normal tyres is also a definite NO NO for obvious reasons.

I simply cant believe You have not noticed a difference in Your car since fitting normal tyres to the front !! I could believe if they had been fitted to the rears but to the fronts ??

Unsprung weight makes a huge difference to the way the suspension reacts and how the vehicle turns, A large part of this is down to the gyroscopic effect that extra or less weight has on this crucial part of the car...

Admiral ? Not a clue .. All insurance companies will have their own view and policies regarding changes.. But be aware that if You tell them the current status of Your car that They may withdraw cover until the situation is rectified....

Well...as suggested by another member..can you somehow remove the symbol?

I ask because my front wheels has new duellers put on (tyre place suggested they were as good as any and obviously didnt realise the legalities). Is there another brifgestone standard option that matches /closely resembles the size and pattern of the RFT tyre?

Has anyone ever asked Bridgestone if the RFT ones can be fitted on standard wheel (given the chance of 'other sales' you would think it sensible) or do Toyota have an exclusive and legally binding right to be only users of these tyres?

Basically..in last post I was adking whether there is a safe option for different rear tyres than the front (when I get rear support rings removed)?

Well...as suggested by another member..can you somehow remove the symbol?

I ask because my front wheels has new duellers put on (tyre place suggested they were as good as any and obviously didnt realise the legalities). Is there another brifgestone standard option that matches /closely resembles the size and pattern of the RFT tyre?

Has anyone ever asked Bridgestone if the RFT ones can be fitted on standard wheel (given the chance of 'other sales' you would think it sensible) or do Toyota have an exclusive and legally binding right to be only users of these tyres?

Yes You can remove the symbol.. This is another area I looked at very closely indeed as I was considering having the tyres removed and re fitted without the rings inside.....

Doing so would completely invalid Your insurance cover and in the event and I know this is going a bit far but in the event of a major accident and the Police were to inspect the car the charge ????

And Yes I checked this out properly........... The charge could / would be Attempting to pervert the course of justice.................

Because You have removed an element that indicates a safety device ( Bridgestone Safety Ring ) and then tried to cover Your tracks....

Basically..in last post I was adking whether there is a safe option for different rear tyres than the front (when I get rear support rings removed)?

Ant suitable sized normal tyre will fit onto the T180/SR 180 rim... 255/55 /18 The point is is that You should inform Your insurance company........ If You fail to do this then they can invalidate cover on the basis of You not informing them of modifications. In this case to a very important area..

This is a reply I got from Camskill after I emailed them (there's a local company lost my budiness):

It is illegal to mix run flats and non run flats, and by law you must have your insurance company's written permission to remove the safety feature, if you don't you wont be insured and the fine is £2500 per Tyre and up to 3 points per Tyre, Insurance company's normally charge between £150 and £200 a year for you to put non run flats on

Please note the run flat tpms will be part of the Mot in April, We don't advise swapping to non run flats, due to safety issues

UK law requires that your vehicle is fitted with the correct type and size of tyres for the vehicle type you are driving and for the purpose it is being used. This means fitting the right tyres, and for safety ensuring that they are inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Kindest regards

Brian

Is the Geolandar G051 suitable replacement? Got a price of £123 each fitted..plus 35 to remove two rings....does that sound fair?

I adked him for a price gor the G91A Geolandar...will get that later.

This is a reply I got from Camskill after I emailed them (there's a local company lost my budiness):

It is illegal to mix run flats and non run flats, and by law you must have your insurance company's written permission to remove the safety feature, if you don't you wont be insured and the fine is £2500 per Tyre and up to 3 points per Tyre, Insurance company's normally charge between £150 and £200 a year for you to put non run flats on

Please note the run flat tpms will be part of the Mot in April, We don't advise swapping to non run flats, due to safety issues

UK law requires that your vehicle is fitted with the correct type and size of tyres for the vehicle type you are driving and for the purpose it is being used. This means fitting the right tyres, and for safety ensuring that they are inflated to the manufacturer's recommended pressure.

Kindest regards

Brian

Hi - I don;t know much about most of what they said, but the statement they make ..." Please note the run flat tpms will be part of the Mot in April" is false as it pertains to your vehicle, be it fitted with a TPMS system as standard or not or is working or not.

Don't go there for your MOT !!

Well...Admiral dont charge any extra (just a note on the policy)...whoo-oooh!

I now have to sort the rears...although both The Touota Service Manager (who arranged the local tyre company to remove these for his T180/SR280 customers) and the manager ftom the Tyre fitters were sure that having the back two support rings in place wouldnt make any significant affect on ride or handling!

The tyre guy said the rings are do close to the rims that there wouldnt be a big difference...on fact tyres themselves can be different in weights..and if you apply the law of centrifugal forces a larger weight applied to the outer circumference of the rotating wheel (i.e an heavier tyre) would change the forces as well! They were both sure the Rav would handle it no bother! I tend to agree ( having studied centtiguga/centripetal forces as part of my degree)...but I will still get them done incase I get a rear puncture whilst somewhere else in country...in which case my Club Toyota AA recovery would take me to a dealer with the machine!!!

On a different subject...whilst tslking to Afmiral insurance..I enquired about adding a tuning box...and for upto a 30% power increase, they quoted £55 extra premium.

Does that seem reasonable?

Well...Admiral dont charge any extra (just a note on the policy)...whoo-oooh!

I now have to sort the rears...although both The Touota Service Manager (who arranged the local tyre company to remove these for his T180/SR280 customers) and the manager ftom the Tyre fitters were sure that having the back two support rings in place wouldnt make any significant affect on ride or handling!

The tyre guy said the rings are do close to the rims that there wouldnt be a big difference...on fact tyres themselves can be different in weights..and if you apply the law of centrifugal forces a larger weight applied to the outer circumference of the rotating wheel (i.e an heavier tyre) would change the forces as well! They were both sure the Rav would handle it no bother! I tend to agree ( having studied centtiguga/centripetal forces as part of my degree)...but I will still get them done incase I get a rear puncture whilst somewhere else in country...in which case my Club Toyota AA recovery would take me to a dealer with the machine!!!

On a different subject...whilst tslking to Afmiral insurance..I enquired about adding a tuning box...and for upto a 30% power increase, they quoted £55 extra premium.

Does that seem reasonable?

One thing I can assure You on is that weight has a huge effect on suspension !! If You read the thread that is pinned it will explain why ... Sorry but those who say otherwise simply do not understand...

I had many Years racing motorcycles and doing track days in cars so believe Me it does make a huge difference !

Ask them a simple question. Hoe does the suspension cope with unsprung weight ?? If they start looking puzzled You will know they don't have a scooby..........

On the tuning box issue. My additional premium was £30. But don't rush out and buy the box cos My one will be for sale as soon as the car is sold so could save You a good wedge.. Its less than six months old and in perfect condition !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links