Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drive To Scotland

mystic

Hi guys, i love this forum, check it often, might not post much but some people here probably remember me, anyway this is off-topic and if nesessary, i will take my punishment as dealt mods and im sorry in advance, but since i know a lot of you here are from scotland im in need of your advise. And if it helps, i will be using my RAV4 to do it, so it isn't completly off-topic :)

Anyways, soon i will be picking up my wonderful girlfriend from the airport in london, since we havn't seen each other for so long (she live in Ohio) i plan to sweep her off her feet with a romantic trip to your beautiful country..

So in my head it goes like this, From the airport its a long ol' drive up north in the RAV (around 5 hours or so?), now before i have been there and i did a sort of driving tour of nice places, staying in b&b's along the way, but this girl means so much to me i really would like your advise on what places can't be skipped, which should be avoided, all that sort of stuff so i can work out some sort of plan and find places to stay. If it help, she loves her pagan/spiritual things so anything like that along the way would be perfect.

Again i apologise, for my soppy 'guy in love' post but come on, you know you have been there! :P

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tech01

• MarsKy

• Hoovie

• mystic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always found the old " oops I've ran out of fuel" trick does the job, while stranded in the middle of no where, you could huddle up on the back seat together, and see what happens from there :D. While waiting to be rescued of course.

Failing that, head straight for Gretna Green.... :lol:

Well, if you are heading north, I think you have to either on the way up or down do a detour to the Lake District and spend a couple of days there.

Places to go in Scotland though? Dunno :(

I've always found the old " oops I've ran out of fuel" trick does the job, while stranded in the middle of no where, you could huddle up on the back seat together, and see what happens from there :D. While waiting to be rescued of course.

Failing that, head straight for Gretna Green.... :lol:

I like your style Jedi, but i think for the first time ever, the blood is in my head with this one. I seem to care more for her need than my own desires :P

Well, if you are heading north, I think you have to either on the way up or down do a detour to the Lake District and spend a couple of days there.

Places to go in Scotland though? Dunno :(

Thanks Hoovie, thats sounds like a good idea, maybe it will be better on the way down, as a kind of final straight. I will do some googling!

On the way up if you want to stop off in North East England as a B&B I'd recomend the Diamond Inn in Ponteland. It's not far off the A1 and is on the A696 might make a nice stop off, theres an amazing chinese resturant next door for a romantic meal. You can then follow the A696/A68 into Scotland on toward Edinburgh via the scenic route. Theres a big rock England/Scotland border bit where you can stop and have a pic. The scenery is lush on a sunny day.

If you go up the A1 you could stop off at the Treehouse in Alnwick that is also an amazing resturant but you have to book.

If you stop for a few days in the NE before going to Scotland theres also Bamburgh Castle, Cragside House and of course Newcastle. If you are flush an want to show her the good life try Close House. In the lake district Keswick is the place to go imho. We normally camp in Pooley Bridge.

Hi Luke,

I don't live noth of the border BUT my daughter lived there for several years and I've driven, walked and climbed around the place on many occassions during the last 50 years. I'm sure that other will add to the route, suggest diversions or mayber somewhere completely diferent, but as a start:

Head north for Carlisle and drive the M74 towards Glasgow. Not much traffic on the road and spectacular senery as you pass through the the upper Clyde valley.

As you approach Glasgow head N on the M73 to the A80 and then M80. There was a gap in the M80 last time I was up there but the M80 was being extended right through to Glasgow - don't know how far this has got today.

Anyway, head up the M80 ( signed Stirling ) to motorway end and continue N up A9 for a couple of miles in the direction of Perth. Turn left onto A820 towards Doune and then continue on A84 towards Callander. A couple of miles through Callander turn left onto A821 along the shores of Loch Venachar and Loch Achray ( beautiful views ). The road turns south again round the end of Loch Achray towards Aberfoyle and the views become more spectacular. Just off this road is the Queen Elizabeth Forrest Drive - a very interesting bit of "soft roading" ideal for the RAV. After that continue S on A81 and then SW on A811 to junction with A82. Here turn N up the side of Loch Lomond and on to Crianlarich,Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy and Achallader. The country is now getting considerably wilder as this road tends further west down Glencoe. I jest not when I say it is best seen in something other than bright sunshine as it is a very emmotive place. Keep following this road through Ballachulish and over the bridge towards Fort William. If you have time, the drive from Fort William along the A830 to Mallaig and back is worth it. You pass the Glenfinnan monument to the commandos and the viaduct made famous in Harry Potter. If you want a change from driving, take the train from Fort William to Mallaig and back it rivals the Settle Carlise in terms of the views.

On returning to Fort William, take the A82 again and head NE to Inverness passing right besides Loch Ness. This is known as the Great Glen. Depending on your timescale you can explore the area NW of the Great Glen by turning off left at Invergarry or head on to Inverness and then south down the A9 through the pass of Killiecrankie to Perth and then back towards Stirling.

Actually, it won't matter a lot where you go it is all wonderful country with great B&Bs and food!

HTH

How long have you got ( a weekend, a week etc.)?

Scotland is a reasonable size with a lot of variety & it's by no means all motorway & dual carriageway (in fact most of the scenic roads are anything but).

What are her interests?

Would she rather shop than look at castles, museums etc.?

Is she an outdoors type?

Does she golf?

Lots of nice places in the Lakes (Keswick, Windermere, Ambleside etc)..but if travelling A1m Northumberland looks nice....in fact I have booked a cottage for a week in Warkworth end of June (few castles and Farne idlands, Holy Island up there)

As a born-and-bred native, the best book for visiting and touring Scotland is Peter Irvine's:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotland-The-Best-Peter-Irvine/dp/0007442440/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333054736&sr=1-1

If she likes Pagan stuff...pop to Castlerigg stone circle on way through lakes.

Last few years we have visited Derbyshire...but still reckon the lake district has better scenery. I was actually fancying booking a room for this Sunday in Keswick (me, wife and 2 dogs)..did it last year and had a great day walking down by Derwen******er...then enjoying the beer gardens/pubs...love the Hungarian Goulash in the Dog and Gun...hmmm...if the weather holds out?!?

Is that because I didnt put a space between Derwent and Water?

One of the best hill views in Scotland is Cockleroy Hill. Takes 5 minutes to climb and you can see from Stirling, all the way down past Grangemouth, past the Forth Bridges and into Aberdour in Fife:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Cairnpapple+Prehistoric+Tombs&hl=en&sll=55.950161,-3.604116&sspn=0.025423,0.084543&geocode=FVy0VQMd-NXI_w%3BFdhkVQMdcbnI_yGuvuFKoAmVtQ&oq=cairnpap&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=14&t=m&z=14

Nearby is Cairnpapple Hill:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairnpapple_Hill

Hi Luke,

I don't live noth of the border BUT my daughter lived there for several years and I've driven, walked and climbed around the place on many occassions during the last 50 years. I'm sure that other will add to the route, suggest diversions or mayber somewhere completely diferent, but as a start:

Head north for Carlisle and drive the M74 towards Glasgow. Not much traffic on the road and spectacular senery as you pass through the the upper Clyde valley.

As you approach Glasgow head N on the M73 to the A80 and then M80. There was a gap in the M80 last time I was up there but the M80 was being extended right through to Glasgow - don't know how far this has got today.

Anyway, head up the M80 ( signed Stirling ) to motorway end and continue N up A9 for a couple of miles in the direction of Perth. Turn left onto A820 towards Doune and then continue on A84 towards Callander. A couple of miles through Callander turn left onto A821 along the shores of Loch Venachar and Loch Achray ( beautiful views ). The road turns south again round the end of Loch Achray towards Aberfoyle and the views become more spectacular. Just off this road is the Queen Elizabeth Forrest Drive - a very interesting bit of "soft roading" ideal for the RAV. After that continue S on A81 and then SW on A811 to junction with A82. Here turn N up the side of Loch Lomond and on to Crianlarich,Tyndrum, Bridge of Orchy and Achallader. The country is now getting considerably wilder as this road tends further west down Glencoe. I jest not when I say it is best seen in something other than bright sunshine as it is a very emmotive place. Keep following this road through Ballachulish and over the bridge towards Fort William. If you have time, the drive from Fort William along the A830 to Mallaig and back is worth it. You pass the Glenfinnan monument to the commandos and the viaduct made famous in Harry Potter. If you want a change from driving, take the train from Fort William to Mallaig and back it rivals the Settle Carlise in terms of the views.

On returning to Fort William, take the A82 again and head NE to Inverness passing right besides Loch Ness. This is known as the Great Glen. Depending on your timescale you can explore the area NW of the Great Glen by turning off left at Invergarry or head on to Inverness and then south down the A9 through the pass of Killiecrankie to Perth and then back towards Stirling.

Actually, it won't matter a lot where you go it is all wonderful country with great B&Bs and food!

HTH

Luke.....Luke no further than Chris's itinerary, which may on the face of it seem slightly convoluted, but there goes an Engle (mibeez Welsh....?) what knows his Scotland....!!!!

Some of the stuff he has suggested I did semi-regularly in business, in both good and crap weather....utterly full of stupendosity. Some of the seafood places around Fort Willhelm are apparently superb, and not cheap.

Stay at least 2 nights in ma own fave of Pitlochry on the way doon.....you will possibly be assaulted by the sound and skirl of the pipes somewhere around here.....ah would ban those Far King things and make them all play 12 string Taylor guitars....!!!!!

Enjoy....and if ye think that much of her,FFS pop the question at Loch Ness....if she says naw, it's pretty deep......

Romantic Kev

post-70734-0-86020000-1333091361_thumb.j The Quirang, North Skye

Hi Luke,

Chris's Western Highland itinerary (making Stirling a sort of starting point) is ABSOLUTELY THE THING TO DO.

You'll never forget the climb from Tyndrum (where you can also get a train to either Oban or Fort William) up over Rannoch Moor, and through the haunting Glen Coe. Definitely do Ft.Wm. to Mallaig, and by train if you'd like a break from driving.

If you've got loads of time, head for Kyle of Lochalsh, and over the bridge to Skye (or to Glenelg, and to Skye by the tiny ferry*). The top end of Skye (north of Portree) takes you up the northern peninsula towards The Quirang, The Old Man of Storr and Kilt Rock. Hotel it in Uig if you need to.

Five hours (to Stirling) is spot-on from down South. If you want something different from the M25/M1 or M40/M6 dash north, try this:

Sonning/Henley area - A4130 - Benson - Oxford (bypass) - A44 - Woodstock - Chipping Norton - Broadway - Evesham - past Pershore - A4538 - join M5 and head North! A good time to leave is very early, and enjoy sunrise and breakfast as you descend through Broadway and the Cotswolds.

Neither of you will ever be the same people again!

Another Chris

* check it's running when you go; can be summer only.

... and keep the !Removed! tank full!

Into the Da Vinci Code?

http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/

Roslyn chapel is just fantastic. I did a thesis there when taking a degree in stone masonry with the Telford college (Edinburgh) 3 years ago.. It is definitely worth a visit..

Pitlochry is fantastic as Kev says...

Pitlochry18122011003.jpg

Pitlochry18122011008.jpg

The drive from Calender over to Fort William is spectacular.. Sorry about the Jag spoiling the views but it will give an idea !

070.jpg

078.jpg

047.jpg

Eileen Doonan Castle...

Rav4andCastleSepember2011017.jpg

Rav4andCastleSepember2011014.jpg

Rav4andCastleSepember2011015.jpg

Lochearnhead is again spectacular and is en route from Calender heading north to Fort William....

017.jpg

Miscellaneous...

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011029.jpg

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011055.jpg

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011026.jpg

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011024.jpg

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011010.jpg

IsleofSkyeSeptember2011079.jpg

post-70734-0-86020000-1333091361_thumb.j The Quirang, North Skye

Hi Luke,

Chris's Western Highland itinerary (making Stirling a sort of starting point) is ABSOLUTELY THE THING TO DO.

You'll never forget the climb from Tyndrum (where you can also get a train to either Oban or Fort William) up over Rannoch Moor, and through the haunting Glen Coe. Definitely do Ft.Wm. to Mallaig, and by train if you'd like a break from driving.

If you've got loads of time, head for Kyle of Lochalsh, and over the bridge to Skye (or to Glenelg, and to Skye by the tiny ferry*). The top end of Skye (north of Portree) takes you up the northern peninsula towards The Quirang, The Old Man of Storr and Kilt Rock. Hotel it in Uig if you need to.

Five hours (to Stirling) is spot-on from down South. If you want something different from the M25/M1 or M40/M6 dash north, try this:

Sonning/Henley area - A4130 - Benson - Oxford (bypass) - A44 - Woodstock - Chipping Norton - Broadway - Evesham - past Pershore - A4538 - join M5 and head North! A good time to leave is very early, and enjoy sunrise and breakfast as you descend through Broadway and the Cotswolds.

Neither of you will ever be the same people again!

Another Chris

* check it's running when you go; can be summer only.

... and keep the !Removed! tank full!

STOP IT CHRIS! - I'm struggling not to dash up stairs and pack a bag :thumbsup:

Just a comment ...

"Five hours (to Stirling) is spot-on from down South". Nah, have to disagree with that one totally!

I drive regularly from Scotland to Berkshire (Reading Area), which I think is where Mystic is from and if he is starting from Heathrow it is the same difference, and if he is starting from Gatwick, add another 30 minutes to total

I would say it is more like 6 hours if you have no problems and using Major Roads just to get over the Border, assuming you are going to stop for total of say 30 mins for comfort and food breaks (and it is meant to be a journey to enjoy the country, not watch for speed cameras).

so that is 6 hours to cross the Border to Scortland and then another 90 mins to get to Stirling as well (or if you go on West Coast route, rather then East, what you save on Journey time to Stirling IN Scotland, you lose on Journey Time IN England.

Much better to leave to head north and plan to stop overnight at a nice hotel or B&B en-route and enjoy it rather then some mad dash.

Well - we've all been there, then! Must be something in the genes...

Five hours was a dash - done in a Citroen BX 1.9RD in 1996 by the two of us, to meet my parents going from London to Stirling by train. We got there 1 hour early! The BX knew how to fly.

My passion for the Western Highlands goes back to 1968. Then by Rover 3-litre, later a Mini '1100', Rover 2000 and 2000TC, and, best of all, a 1975 Rover 3500S, which was sheer magic. Since then, BX and last by our XM 2.5, which we still have.

Chris

The swear filter thinks you were trying to say something naughty :naughty:

Just think about the letters when you put no space between Derwent and Water :eek:

The swear filter thinks you were trying to say something naughty :naughty:

Just think about the letters when you put no space between Derwent and Water :eek:

"derwen******er"....the plumber just succeeded in unblocking your sink....?

aha....catching on I am.(EDIT)

Well - we've all been there, then! Must be something in the genes...

Five hours was a dash - done in a Citroen BX 1.9RD in 1996 by the two of us, to meet my parents going from London to Stirling by train. We got there 1 hour early! The BX knew how to fly.

My passion for the Western Highlands goes back to 1968. Then by Rover 3-litre, later a Mini '1100', Rover 2000 and 2000TC, and, best of all, a 1975 Rover 3500S, which was sheer magic. Since then, BX and last by our XM 2.5, which we still have.

Chris

Chris, it must have been a hell of a dash, as you would have averaged over 85MPH for that journey with no breaks!!

Do that speed in a RAV4.2 and you'll have to fill up twice, so make that average 90MPH moving time. Guess it is one way for the American Girlfriend to meet some of the nice British Bobbies :lol:

I have got "Scotland The Best" by Peter Irvine in my Amazon Basket as I have been meaning to have a driving tour of Scotland ever since I moved up here but the weather in the last few years been generally dreich ever since I've been up here with Spring going straight to Autumn :( Maybe this year!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links