Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Touch & Go Free Map And Software Update Now Available

tone_uk

As far as I can make out on the Toyota T & G toolbox, it's just a Finland map update.

Could be the Finn end of the wedge though .......

I still have not got round to doing the map update yet. I have been busy on more important things. The update does not seem to be worth doing if it is only for Finland. I wish you could just download the map updates applicable to UK only. Due to the fact we cannot do this that is " the Finn of the wedge!!"

• Like 2

I too wish that you could get/download Uk only. Just think of all the people (over)paying for all the data for countries that they will never visit in their cars ...

• Like 1

I too wish that you could get/download Uk only. Just think of all the people (over)paying for all the data for countries that they will never visit in their cars ...

and it shouldn't take as long to update it.

I've got a IfoRad fixed speed camera detector that has GPS and tells you with beeps and LED lights where the fixed cameras are and when you are over the speed limit. It has a database in it's memory that can be updated free online and you can choose which countries to update (takes seconds to update). This is what the Toyota Nav should be like.

and it shouldn't take as long to update it.

I've got a IfoRad fixed speed camera detector that has GPS and tells you with beeps and LED lights where the fixed cameras are and when you are over the speed limit. It has a database in it's memory that can be updated free online and you can choose which countries to update (takes seconds to update). This is what the Toyota Nav should be like.

Your camera locator is storing co-ordinates only - a satnav update isn't just updating the POI's, all the mapping etc are updated also. This will be why it takes so long in comparison.

My T& G Plus certainly has a database of fixed speed cameras & warns me as I approach them. It also tells me if I am above the limit for the bit of road that I am on but I have to actually look at the screen to see that. It's memory can be updated online (free for first 3 years) but sadly you can't do partial updates & it takes ~1 hr for it to update during which the engine must be running. :(

I have communicated my thoughts to Toyota UK. I don't know if T2 with G is any different (I believe that the mapping provider has changed).

Well I did the update and thought that I had bricked the head unit as I got a black screen for circa an hour, only after turning the car off and on again did I find that the thing hadn't actually done the update due to me receiving a phone call (via the bluetooth connection) just after telling it to start the update. So as well as ensuring that you don't turn the car off during the update also disconnect your phone too. Also don't use a USB stick that has anything else on it, I thought that it would be convenient to use a USB stick that I have in my car with my iTunes library on it (so that I can listen to my tunes whilst in the car), this turned out to not be the best idea that I have ever had as it wiped everything off the USB after download.

Is anyone else disappointed in the technology that Toyota use? for a Japanese company the technology is very disappointing.

Firstly the setting for dash display brightness (linked to headlight switch on or off) is a great idea except it is over ridden by the light sensor on top of the dash which means even with headlights on in foggy or twilight types of situations if I go under a bridge the dash lights suddenly dim themselves if the headlights are on. I find this really distracting at times.

Secondly the Sat nav is a nightmare, particularly when going around a large roundabout such as leaving a motorway, the arrow stays stationery on the road and the view remains from above, however what I need is to see which road off the roundabout I should be taking.

I love my Prius Plus for saving me money and I love the fact that it's different but the technology used inside the cabin is so disappointing.

Secondly the Sat nav is a nightmare, particularly when going around a large roundabout such as leaving a motorway, the arrow stays stationery on the road and the view remains from above, however what I need is to see which road off the roundabout I should be taking.

This is an option you can turn off if you want so it does what you want it to do, its in the menu somewhere.

This is an option you can turn off if you want so it does what you want it to do, its in the menu somewhere.

I think that it's the "zoom in on junctions" setting but i have a feeling that I have tried turning it off but it causes even more problems off than it does on, but will give it another try.

I think that it's the "zoom in on junctions" setting but i have a feeling that I have tried turning it off but it causes even more problems off than it does on, but will give it another try.

Ah you might be right then, I've not tried it myself to be honest, just noticed it when bored in traffic and playing with the settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Currently downloading update onto USB stick. Couldn't believe how complicated Toyota have made this! Using pop up windows in this process is a big mistake!! Most people use po up blockers which can cause serious problems. Even after cancelling pop up blocker had problems trying to download update onto USB stick as instructions said to click on Install - but there was no Install option on my screen. Finally worked out that it was because the po up window needed to be full screen in order for the Install button to be visible. If this is the case why use pop up window? Why not just open a new full sized window? That way everyone will be able to see all the required information. Terrible bit of user interface design Toyota. I expected better!

Next problem will be installing the update from the USB stick to the Touch & Go Plus unit. According to what I have read here (and elsewhere) I will need to keep the engine running whilst the update installs. Unbelievable!!!! Completely ridiculous!!! Do people buy a hybrid vehicle to spend 40 minutes polluting the atmosphere just to carry out a Sat Nav update? It would be nice if someone from Toyota could respond to that.

By "runni9ng", in the case of a Hybrid, they mean "in Ready Mode". The engine will probably be off most of the time, especially if you switch off the heater.

OK. Will try that.

Still think the procedure is flawed and shows little thought. The upgrade is around 6GB - and that is because it completely replaces all the mapping data etc. Surely an upgrade which contained just the new data would have been a more sensible option.

Just remember to be sure you can spare 45-60 minutes once you start - you really don't want to interrupt it once it's started!

OK. Will do. But as you say updating means having to sit in your vehicle for 40 to 45 minutes or else leave it ready to be driven off by any passing person of criminal persuasion. Still seems like a total lack of thought from Toyota. The process should NOT be so complicated and time consuming!

Just noticed that the download to the USB stick shows "Working ... 103%". What the hell is that about?

Still have not done my update due to more important health issues. Considering it has been stated on this forum it is only a Finland update it does not seem worth doing. I must agree it is a a daft way to do a Sat / Nav update. My neighbour says it easy to update his tom tom. Toyota should allow us just to select UK Sat /Nav updates.

Still seems like a total lack of thought from Toyota. The process should NOT be so complicated and time consuming!

To be fair, it is a vast improvement on the HDD satnav update process on the mk1 gen3 prius.

I must admit, I liked the TomTom device that came built into my 2011 Yaris T-Spirit. Whilst built in, it was removable and you could buy a screen mount to use it in other cars (e.g. holiday hire car).

More importantly you could take it indoors to plan routes and connect to a PC to update the maps and software. They often did update offers, like 18 months for the price of 12 (with quarterly updates - something like £60 for 6 updates).

I also liked the fact you could save whole journeys and recall them later, great if you like several waypoints as I do, and you could create your own Point of Interest groups and items.

When installed in the car it offered bluetooth capability through the car's microphone and Speakers, but connectivity was hit and miss.

Icing on the cake was it would play DVDs when installed in the car (whilst stationary, or course!) - brilliant when waiting for people. Movies sounded great in the car too.

Still seems like a total lack of thought from Toyota. The process should NOT be so complicated and time consuming!

It sounds no different to a computer update, which will take just as long, if not longer tbh.

I can't see the issue, and prefer total updates, rather than a part system update which can then lead to complications with file corruptions and incompatibilities etc.

As others have said if you don't drive to the areas the update covers then don't update it.

Just back from a short trip to Yorkshire and Sat Nav performed very well after update. Still think the update process is flawed, more of an afterthought than a carefully planned procedure!

Having to have the ignition in Ready mode means that unless you are fortunate enough to have a lockable garage, you have to sit in the car for the whole time the update is being installed unless you want to risk your lovely Prius vanishing from your drive or the roadside!

Still don't understand why the update has to be a total rewrite of all mapping. I see from earlier post to this forum, (should have read them first), that it is believed that all that has been added in this update is data for Finland. Would it not be possible, (and preferable), for the system to inform the user, after the passing security check in Touch &Go Toolbox, with a list the changes available and for the changes to available on a country by country basis? Certainly this is the way that most Android programs work. It is also the same for Here+ on my Nokia windows phone. I suspect the method chosen by Toyota has more to do with their future income stream from updates after the free period has expired than with their wish for a good user experience!

It would be very interesting to know whether the latest update solves the speed camera problem in France. I wouldn't have thought that Toyota would want to be responsible for the possible fining of customers for software it had supplied.

Still don't understand why the update has to be a total rewrite of all mapping.

As I'd mentioned above its probably due to a formatting reason, and to prevent corruptions.

I can't see the issue, just update it when you plan on doing a long journey, that way you've not got to waste time just sitting in it, or wash / valet it while doing the update etc.

...Having to have the ignition in Ready mode means that unless you are fortunate enough to have a lockable garage, you have to sit in the car for the whole time the update is being installed unless you want to risk your lovely Prius vanishing from your drive or the roadside!

...It would be very interesting to know whether the latest update solves the speed camera problem in France. I wouldn't have thought that Toyota would want to be responsible for the possible fining of customers for software it had supplied.

Some people use the emergency key to manually lock the car - depends how vulnerable your parking place is I guess, and your risk assessment of doing this. Me, I park up by a beach, preferably on a nice day, open the window and sit in the car and chill for an hour or so :sneaky2:

I think if you drive in France it's just a case of going into the menu and turning it off.

Out of interest, how do we know the lastest (Oct 2013) update is just for Finland?

This is what it says on the Touch & Go Toolbox:

Road coverage with over 500.000 kilometers of updated roads and 1.300.000
updated points of interest.

Version: EUH20131022

Size: 6,0GB

Just back from a short trip to Yorkshire and Sat Nav performed very well after update. Still think the update process is flawed, more of an afterthought than a carefully planned procedure!

Having to have the ignition in Ready mode means that unless you are fortunate enough to have a lockable garage, you have to sit in the car for the whole time the update is being installed unless you want to risk your lovely Prius vanishing from your drive or the roadside!

Still don't understand why the update has to be a total rewrite of all mapping. I see from earlier post to this forum, (should have read them first), that it is believed that all that has been added in this update is data for Finland. Would it not be possible, (and preferable), for the system to inform the user, after the passing security check in Touch &Go Toolbox, with a list the changes available and for the changes to available on a country by country basis? Certainly this is the way that most Android programs work. It is also the same for Here+ on my Nokia windows phone. I suspect the method chosen by Toyota has more to do with their future income stream from updates after the free period has expired than with their wish for a good user experience!

It would be very interesting to know whether the latest update solves the speed camera problem in France. I wouldn't have thought that Toyota would want to be responsible for the possible fining of customers for software it had supplied.

French speed cameras where removed from software versions greater than 1.7.4H/L, see update chart below:

1.6.6L Launch Software for Low
1.7.1H Launch Software for High
1.7.1L When turning the ignition ON, the Touch & Go navigation system would not load the map and
the touch screen would be stuck showing the message “Loading map …”. At the same time,
none of the navigation functions can be used.
Incorrect menu language.
No fingerprint possible for a map update and downloadable applications
1.7.2H/L 1.7.3H/L (1.7.3=1.7.2+MAP) Concerns with the Fuel Application downloadable from My Toyota Portal.
1.7.4H/L Phone book not downloading
1.7.5H/L (1.7.5=1.7.4+MAP) Remove the speed camera information from the French road map
1.7.7L Repeating voice guidance announcement, especially when multiple turns are upcoming in a
short distance.
1.7.9 L/H Navigation system crash and black screen
2.8.5a L/H Wrong route guidance for specific destinations in England, France and Spain.
2.9.4 L/H Touch and Go (plus) Arrival time is one hour ahead of expected time
Low version refers to standard Go nav, High version is Go +/Pro nav
2.9.4L/H is currently the latest software for T&G systems, the above does not apply to the new T&G 2 systems

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links