Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Wash Woe

filpa

Has anybody else had any problems with taking their Previa through an automatic car-wash? I recently used one and was subjected to a very scary ride, together with 2 of my children, when the horizontal roller grabbed the underside of the roof spoiler and threw the vehicle around a bit until eventually it ripped the spoiler off and threw it down. Thankfully it didn't manage to rip the wires for the high-level brake light out and it didn't throw the spoiler through the rear windscreen but my £4 carwash looks like costing me £500 all the same. I am going to try contacting the car wask company but doubt I will get anywhere as their disclaimers say not suitable for cars with spoilers. I always thought that meant the 'boy-racer/ go-faster' boot top spoilers.

My local toyota garage was surprised that this happened so I was wondering whether it was rare in which case it could be a software problem with the car wash - surely it should automatically stop if it encounters an obstruction. This was not the normal buffetting it was very forceful and very scary!

Sounds nasty, never use a car wash is the moto! They always scratch-up your paint at the very least & don't clean the car properly anyway.

Whats the difference between a 'boy racer' spoiler & a normal spoiler... :unsure:

That's bad news, the jet-washes are better for your car than a drive thru job but it's too late now

hope it's not too expensive to fix

A 'normal spoiler' is a factory fitted spoiler that is functional e.g. there to house the high-level brake light or in the case of a sports car as a wind deflecter. A 'boy-racer' spoiler is one bought as an accessory by the boy-racer to try to make their small hatch look like a sporty car. As they are not 'made to fit' they tend to stand a bit too proud of the body and I thought it was these that were being referred to.

:D I got ya. Like this: :P

crapcar-wooden-spoiler.jpg

On a more constructive note I've got a feeling that those car washes have disclaimers before you go through. <_< Although maybe you could say the guys that took the money should have advised you about the spolier?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links